tuscl

Annoying Phrases / Which ones do you use ?

Warrior15
Anywhere there are Titties.
Monday, October 24, 2022 5:08 PM
New list on Reddit. 75 phrases that annoying people say. [view link] But I'm looking thru the list. I say some of these things. Maybe I'm annoying. But I'm thinking that I say more than just a couple. Oh well. We will just have to agree to disagree. :-) Not to be rude, but are you annoying too ?

29 comments

• twentyfive
    2 years ago
    If I have to be brutally honest. 🤣
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    Great article WHAT I USE "You know," I use it a little as a filler and a lot as a way to cut people down. As in "your dumb ass should already know, but I'm going to repeat because I can't grunt it out for you." "Full stop," sounds more aggressive than "period," so I like it. "I reject the premise of that question" is the best answer to a trap question like "have you stopped beating your wife?" "I'm only saying what everyone's thinking," I'm guilty of this. Full stop. "So what?" is useful if someone acts like their point is self-evident, or if they ramble. "Do better." I'll admit, I say this one to cement the fact that someone's been a real asshole. WHAT PISSES ME OFF THAT OTHERS USE "I simply have a powerful personality," yes, and that personality is "complete fucking asshole." Similar for "I always keep it real...", no, you're just unkind and want to hurt people. Often transforms to "it's just a joke" when it generates a negative response. "Can't you see that I'm busy," usually means "my time is more important that yours." "Trust the science," said by someone who's read a few slanted articles and hasn't sat in a science classroom since 11th grade, let alone knows how science is done. "I work hard" is just virtue signaling. Worse is "work hard play hard," which means escape from my shitty personal life at the office and drink to numb the pain. "Threat to our democracy," yeah, eat my ass, Chicken Little. Usually used by the left during Trump but the right isn't immune to it either. "That's just how I was raised," OK, your parents fucked you up and you just want to continue the cycle. Statute of limitations on blaming your parents for your shit is long gone. "Smile." I'm a large dude with a resting bitch face and I get this. Fuck you. "We are like family here," is a million horrible workplaces. Usually by a boss that thinks they're your parent and dictator of your life. "This is my truth," YES CAN THIS ONE PLEASE FUCKING DIE. THERE IS "THE TRUTH" AND "NOT THE TRUTH." NOT "YOUR TRUTH." CAN APPEAR ON EITHER LIST DEPENDING ON CONTEXT "I don't like drama" can be used to squelch drama, or to conceal one's participation in it.
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    Full stop. I've written it, you've read it. Used by others? "Threat to our democracy. We don't even live in a democracy, you fucking idiot. We don't live in a democracy because there are too many idiots like you to be involved in the decision- making. Runner-up? Something is "literally literally" something else.
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    Anything that RickDugan uses is variably annoying, especially when he gets all uppity over himself.
  • Subraman
    2 years ago
    My favorite annoying phrase: It is what it is. Translation: I have nothing interesting to say, but I'm such a bobblehead that I feel like I need to say something to cover up being a bobblehead, so I'm going to say a vapid phrase that I'm hoping passes for a philosophical thought among other bobbleheads
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    We are all probably guilty of using at least one of those phrases on that list from time to time. I’m guilty of saying “you know” too much. “Well, you know, Bill’s an idiot so nobody should be surprised he did that.” One phrase I don’t like and I don’t remember seeing it on there is when people say “basically” when they’re explaining something.
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    Tetra - "that's just how I was raised" can be used in a positive manner. Example, showing up for a party with dessert in hand and the host says "you didn't need to bring anything" My response: "a guest doesn't show up empty handed, that's just how I was raised."
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @crosscheck, which might make it an even more annoying flex, lol
  • londonguy
    2 years ago
    Some that immediately come to mind Get go Match up For free Ahead of Just saying And people who start sentences or replies to questions with “So”
  • londonguy
    2 years ago
    They are so annoying and I never use them
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    ^ Oh I HATE "just saying" .
  • BubbleYum
    2 years ago
    "I have it on high authority..." No you fucking don't. Stop trying to compensate for your lack of importance.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    If I hear “That’s problematic” “that’s my truth” “threat to our democracy” I already know stay from this woke asshole
  • loper
    2 years ago
    I kind of like "I reject the premise of you question," which is appropriate when someone asks you if you stopped beating your wife. Otherwise, I agree, they are annoying and I don't use them.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Only one....kinda Hoi know what.....
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Every phrase mentioned pales in comparison to "conversate".
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    I hate “just saying”, but feel that “again…” should get an honorable mention.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    Oh and lazy, uninformed mispronunciations or mistypes that should get people bullwhipped: "Expresso" "Nucular" "Should of," "could of," "would of" "Excetera" "For all intensive purposes" "A doggy dog world" "Irregardless"
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    Agree with Tetra... I hate those misspelled/mispronounced ones. Add to the list: Suppose to... However, one that I know is incorrect but I use it intentionally because I think it's kind of funny: Those son-of-a-bitches!
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    I also can't stand when people write or say: Just an FYI And I'll second the one from an earlier post: Misusing the word "literally". Did you watch that debate last night? He LITERALLY killed the other guy! One that I am guilty of sometimes is starting a comment with "So".
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    That is a good list. Here are a few I dislike that weren’t mentioned. No! I won’t let you stick that in me! Toda la noche. Front room make out session. Keep your pants on. Yada yada yada
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    I hate "It's been a minute".
  • magicrat
    2 years ago
    "It is what it is." John Fox after every Panthers loss. Also "we picked a bad day to have a bad day." Can anybody guess my opinion of him?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    If you ever have the chance, get a recording of yourself the next time you speak publicly or participate in some sort of panel discussion. Unless you're a seasoned public speaker, you'll likely be horrified by all of your verbal tics and cruft. Even better, get a written transcript of your speaking. Most people have no idea how often they use filler words and phrases while they speak. It's pretty enlightening.
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    ^ Uh................................................................
  • Longball300
    2 years ago
    Not sure if it's on that list but, my own most hated is "Just So You Know".... to start a comment.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    ^ Just so you know, that's pretty common. Also, I'm a monster.
    2 years ago
    Something I didn’t see mentioned is the oft used starting word “Frankly”. Especially when a politician start to answer a question with “Frankly“ you know whatever follows will be a lie or at least only a half truth.
  • panza80
    2 years ago
    People who say "I have a question" before asking the damn question. There are a ton of variants including "quick question." Why the hell do you need to preface your question?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion