tuscl

Are we seeing the end of high school football?

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Some recent events

A Lincoln, Nebraska high school cancelled the remainder of their season after 15 out 75 players were lost due to injury

Two Baltimore high schools suspended remaining games after a massive brawls

Two Cleveland schools moved start times to 4 pm and severely limited crowds after fights among fans broke out during the first two games

It could happen in the not so distant future

22 comments

• Muddy
    2 years ago
    I don't know, it some places maybe but look at how far football has come in America. A random Thursday night game is going to beat out a World Series/NHL NBA Finals game. It really is our most popular sport.

Would I encourage young people to do it, not with that concussion bullshit, you don't want that CTE stuff that's game over. I could see more day games like you said motorhead and more padded helmets though.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    High school football is a big money maker for school districts in some parts of the country.
  • JamesSD
    2 years ago
    I have a feeling we will start to see more separation between High School Football States like Texas and non Football States.

You're gonna see a lot less rich parents let their kids play football with what we know about brain damage and concussions. But it's gonna exist for a while as a golden ticket for poor athletic kids.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Yes the rich kids can play soccer and beat the shit out of each other with their lacrosse sticks. Lacrosse. That was the number one sport for all the white boys that were too small for basketball or football, too slow for soccer and too uncoordinated for baseball and hockey.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    I despise soccer, but I hear more and more stories of parents, including professional athletes, not allowing their kids to play football and pushing them toward football.

But the fighting - both fans and players - is the issue that seems to be getting out of control
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    Football is a brutal sport that seems a bit out of place with our current times - I wonder if it's not as popular with today's young-people and may start to lose popularity like baseball did.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    High School football is still thriving here in NE Florida. Friday night lights is a real thing around here.
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    Yes it is the end of highschool football. There have been way too many head injuries. Here is the latest example...

https://tuscl.net/member.php?id=166667
  • Studme53
    2 years ago
    Football’s a great sport. So is soccer.
    A big, slow, tough, dumb kid (the game stops after every play and you’re told what to do next), who couldn’t do any other sport, can be a good H.S offensive lineman, for instance. Football requires a lot kids with a variety of skills, size, etc. At most schools any tough kid can get on the team.
    A smaller, fast kid who has skills and can think on his feet during a game, who may not be quite tough enough for football, can be a good HS soccer player.
    It’s all good.
  • iknowbetter
    2 years ago
    It’s not just school districts concerned about liability. Interest in HS football has been declining significantly over the last decade. Many schools are having difficulty fielding full teams, even here in football rich south Florida.
  • Array
    2 years ago
    @Shailynn. At my college 50+ years ago, very small, Div III, lacrosse is what the football players did in the spring just so they could legally hit somebody. I haven’t seriously watched lacrosse in many years, but I think they’ve toned down the violence considerably.
  • Dolfan
    2 years ago
    High School Football is big in south Florida. Don't see it going away any time soon.

There is room for improvement, but football and sports in general I think are pretty good for kids, especially when its actual competition and they keep score and shit. Not the pointless shit where Bobby and Suzy run around in a field for 15 minutes and then everyone eats some fruit cups and gets participation trophies. The life lessons from sports are sorely missing in the world today. I'd love to see the stats on the percentage of Karens that played some sort of competitive sport as a child, I'm betting its low as fuck.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Only a progressive pussy would say high school football sucks.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    You like watching teenage boys?
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    ^pedophile thoughts gave you away.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Does your wife like high-school football players?
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Icee do you anally rape little girls as well as little boys?
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    ^ don’t forget dogs as well.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised if the woke-left at some point stats to call football "racist" since it mostly involves black guys knocking each other senseless for the entertainment of a mostly white audience
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    There are many places across the south from Texas to Florida, where HS football is life. I stand by my earlier comments that grown-ass men without children on the team have no place at high school or college games, but I am usually ahead of the curve.

The NCAA will never let high school football die, even if they have to start boosting the teams or organizing extracurricular leagues themselves. I have never agreed with the practice of giving scholarships to athletes. That is not the reason for college. If the Bears want to sign a graduate of Wheaton-Warrenville HS, and pay for his college degree in exchange for a contractual agreement that he will play X number of years upon graduation - fine; but academic achievers should not be missing out on freshman openings or merit scholarships so that half-wit athletes can be recuited by the college.

However, the NFL relies on the talent of the NCAA pipeline. and the NCAA makes too much dependent on the HS talent pipeline, so HS football will not be ending anytime soon. Greed wins.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Skibum I take your being so triggered as a yes your wife like high school boys.

Shailynn you get all necrophilic for juice
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    You raped little boys while you were in high school ICEE? Were you raped as a little boy too?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion