tuscl

Your favorite sports announcers

Well we just lost Vin Scully at 94 yesterday, RIP. A man a lot of people consider the greatest baseball announcer to ever live. I always thought it was so cool that this guy calling Brooklyn Dodger games back in 1950 you could hear calling Los Angeles Dodger games as late as 2016. You really felt like you were in a time trip to another era when you heard his voice and had such a sing song poetic way of talking, so many big time calls too, Mookie, Kirk Gibson, Hank Aaron 715 etc. It got me thinking what were some of the best announcers out there for me be it past or present, Scully was definitely one of the all time greats.

Bob Uecker- Milwaukee Brewers announcer. Just one of my favorite humans period, so God damn funny. They know what a gift they have in Milwaukee and you here is voice calling the game in the stadium while your at the game there. He’s pretty much is the last of the Mohicans, still going strong though. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h7dG5HCKeW…

Bob Costas- I heard him doing a subway series game just last week. He’s gotta do more baseball I forget how great he is.

Al Michaels- Football, Baseball, Olympic Hockey circa 1980 whatever I’m a huge Al Michaels fan.

Jon Miller- used to do Sunday night baseball for awhile. I think he’s the best day in day out at it in the game. He does radio for the SF Giants now so I don’t hear him as much as I used to.

How about for you guys?

23 comments

• Huntsman
    2 years ago
    I thought Dick Enberg was always easy to listen to. Also, a shout out to Herb Carneal, long time voice of the Twins. Also Jack Buck…”and we’ll see you tomorrow night”.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Love college basketball and no one comes close to the trio of Dick Enberg, Al McGuire, and Billy Packer

The baseball legends of the 60’s and 70’s
    Besides Scully, there’s Jack Buck, Bob Prince, Ernie Harwell, Harry Kalas. You could lay in bed at night with a little radio and get the 50,000 watt clear channel stations and listen to baseball.

• san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    I always liked Howard Cosell because he stood with Muhammed Ali
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Cos…

SJG

Figueroa will be getting better now that CA has lifted the loitering with intent law
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TY7Nb6Q…

miggs : "Let The Games Begin" starring LINDSAY LOHAN (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCxM6IGC…
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Vin Scully was one of the few broadcasters my dad didn't mute the sound on the TV, he was a good guy and you could tell he loved the game just by listening to him call it.
    He lived a good life, and was a genuine decent man.
    R.I.P. Vin Scully
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    I used to work for a bank where John Sterling (Yankees announcer) had his accounts. Never met him, but the people from the branch where he used to go said he was the biggest jerkoff customer they ever saw.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    There have been many great announcers – I rarely pay much attention to who’s announcing the game – the only two that come to mind that I genuinely enjoyed listening to were John Madden and Tony Romo – Madden b/c he was a larger-than-life character – Romo b/c of how good he was at diagnosing-plays and predicting which play the team would run and why.

The one I can’t stand at the moment is that woke-ish cocksucker Chris Collinsworth – I liked him as a player and at-first as an announcer the way he’d break-down-plays; but then he started getting a little woke-ish and now I can’t stand to listen to his ass.

Back in the day I used to like watching the Tour De France but lost the habit of watching-it in the last few years – but I like Phil Liggett who has been announcing The Tour for the last 50-years.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    Bob Uecker is hilarious - I didn't know he was still alive and less-so that he was still active in the game - back in the day it was more common to see him in TV-commercials but I don't recall the last time I saw him in one and why I thought he was either no-longer-with-us or retired - I also haven't followed baseball much in the last 10-years.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    Madden was entertaining.
    I caught him near the end of his career but Hank Stram probably impressed me the most. He had the insight of being a very successful coach and could almost always tell you what play was coming before it happened.
    On a lesser local scale, former Browns QB Bernie Kosar who did Browns preseason games had insights similar to Stram.
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    As a hockey fan I always enjoyed Doc Emrick.
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    nba: marv albert
    nfl: ian eagle
    nhl: rick jeanneret
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    Al Michaels and Bob Uecker are awesome. Doc Emrick was great. Ernie Harwell and Vin Scully were fantastic.

But my all-time favorite? Gary Thorne. When ESPN got hockey back, I was so stoked, hoping they'd bring him back. It didn't happen. Lame.

https://youtu.be/w8nZnN2Cb4k

• Chili Palmer
    2 years ago
    LA in the 60s & 70s:

Vin Scully calling the Dodgers
    Dick Enberg doing the Rams
    Chick Hearn, voice of the Lakers
    Bob Miller, Kings announcer
    even Trevor Denman doing the calls from Hollywood Park

The Murderer's Row of city announcing. Has never and will never be beaten.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    Not to start a war CP but New York baseball alone in the 50's Vin Scully, Mel Allen, Red Barber, Ernie Harwell at the same time and that was just the baseball teams.

And I remember Dick Enberg talking to Vin Scully and he made a point where there was a time before TV, fans only had the radio if they were not at the game. So you had to be awesome. And I think that generation was just something else, there just this old time charm with those guys, that I don't know these guys coming up just don't really seem to have.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    Vin Scully had that immediately identifiable voice - as I knew it was him each time I heard him. RIP.

I enjoy college basketball - and I enjoy Bill Raftery and Grant Hill calling the games.

I am no fan of Joe Buck. He comes off as almost entitled and less appreciative of the games he’s calling.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Monday Night Football - Frank Gifford; Howard Cosell and Don Meredith. If you're a Bostonian - Johnny Most.
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    does the wwf/wwe count? jesse ventura and macho man savage were entertaining behind the mic.

mlb: gary cohen, ron darling and keith hernendez - ny mets. it's frustrating but fun at the same time to try and figure who is speaking as both darling and hernandez both have voices that sound exactly alike.
  • rockie
    2 years ago
    We have been spoiled by the greatness that has broadcast sporting events in the US! Icons in the booth that resurrect awesome memories include for me: Keith Jackson on College Football, Curt Gowdy (MLB & NFL) and Pat Summerall on NFL Football. Any college basketball game that includes Bill Rafferty has always entertained me and Vin Scully was among the elite broadcasters that I've ever heard do a baseball game.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Marv Albert.
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    Al McCoy of the Phoenix Suns is a local icon. Joe Garriogiola was an all time favorite nationally too for several decades. I almost ran him over going to a Dbacks game in the parking ramp 10 years ago when he was still alive. To think I could have shortened his career! He yelled at me to slow down, but this guy was walking slow and suddenly moved out into my oncoming lane.
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    Most of the greats have already been discussed here but a couple of others worth mentioning would be Dick Vitale and Harry Caray. They both had a great knowledge of their sport and unique personalities.

My all time favorite would have to be John Madden due to the sheer passion and enthusiasm he brought to the calls. Locally we have a Bengals radio guy named Dave Lapham that brings the same type of passion but he's not quite on Madden's level.

As for baseball, the long time Cincinnat Reds duo of Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhaul will always be my personal gold standard. Don't get me wrong, Vin Scully was better but my summers from the time I was about 5 years old until Nuxhall retired revolved around listening to Marty and Joe call Reds games. When the games were on TV we would always have the volume off on the TV and the radio on 700WLW to listen to their call. Even at the games you would hear people throughout the stadium listening to them call the game on battery operated radios.
  • Goodclubrep
    2 years ago
    Dizzy Dean with Pee Wee Reese on The Game of the Week. Ben Wright calling The Masters. Honorable mention for Jimmy The Greek calling swimming competitions. (I actually heard that one live!)
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    an ok announcer for the ny mets during the 80's was ralph kiner.

the mets used to have a player that was a fast base runner named chico walker. kiner had me fall on the floor with this: "chico sure doesn't need a walker because he sure can run."
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    For those that don’t know Johnny Most

https://youtu.be/VjR7Yy2NpGs
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion