tuscl

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins has died, team says

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Saturday, April 9, 2022 5:02 PM
Drafted in 2019 was a backup to Ben Rothlisberger last season, guy was 24 years old , they haven't announced a cause of death as of yet, this is a sad story, guy was a Heisman trophy candidate from OSU he played 16 games over two seasond for Washington before moving on to Pittsburgh.

20 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    Wow - shocking - so young - I just heard it on the radio - the brief report I heard was that he was hit by a car in Miami.
  • jackslash
    2 years ago
    Horrible
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    He was struck by a car.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    Wow, very sad news. He was a real star at OSU that never had the chance to replicate his college success in the pros. RIP It's just another sad reminder that life isn't guaranteed so enjoy every moment when and while you can.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    The FHP says he was walking on SR595, and was struck by a dump truck, strange place to be walking this is a limited access highway that leads to Alligator alley a high speed expressway that goes from Weston (near Ft. Lauderdale) to Naples on the southern city on the west coast. RIP much too young
  • goldmongerATL
    2 years ago
    Reports now say he was walking on an interstate and was hit by a dump truck. It was nearly 7AM and there was fairly heavy traffic. He tried running across the interstate and was hit.
  • goldmongerATL
    2 years ago
    News says it was I-595 at I-95 so that road but right at the airport. That is insanely busy traffic even on a Saturday.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    Driving in South Florida is dangerous; very-densely-populated thus bad traffic; and it's even more-dangerous for pedestrians. 595 is a pretty-busy highway and at it's east end takes you to Ft Lauderdale airport, and Port Everglades which has a ton of truck traffic.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    "... News says it was I-595 at I-95 so that road but right at the airport ..." I-95 is the most dangerous road in SoFlo and that 95/595 area is def heavy-traffic. I wonder if Haskins was impaired and perhaps he may have o/w avoided getting hit by a truck given he's a pro-athlete.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    Another report says he was walking on the side of the road vs trying to cross it; still a freeway is a bad-place to be as a pedestrian.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    Very sad news. The details of the accident that cause his death seem very odd. RIP.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    Always sad when someone so young dies. RIP Dwayne.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    It's terrible when someone so young dies tragically, but I'm willing to bet this guy had both of his AirPods in and was either blasting music or was completely distracted by conversation with someone. That's all I see with young people these days. When you're crossing a dangerous road on foot you need to use your eyes, ears and brain. A dump truck is one of the loudest vehicles on the road. How does a 24 year old with pro football reflexes not hear that in time to avoid being hit?
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    I saw a report that he ran out of gas on the highway, got out of his car and tried to cross the busy road in the dark.
  • goldmongerATL
    2 years ago
    The reports are all over the map. NBC Miami is now reporting a witness said traffic was having to veer around him because he was standing in the right lane with his arms raised. The witness also said he, at least, did not see any stranded car in the vicinity. Eyewitnesses can be pretty unreliable, but this guy called 911 a few minutes before the accident to report a man in the roadway and that traffic was having to avoid him.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    There was something going on mentally with Haskins. What Gil Brandt said may have offended people but that guy is literally one of the most accomplished scouts in the history of the NFL. It’s his job to evaluate and he’s been doing it since 1950’s, I’ll take him his on his word, seems kinda credible to me.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Very tragic - but I have a few questions Perhaps Papi or someone who lives in the area can answer. I-595 is part of the interstate system, correct? So isn’t it illegal for pedestrians to walk on interstate highways? Time of death was put at around 6:37 am. Sunrise is around 7:02. Can I safely assume it was dark or not fully light? Some people on facebook are blaming the “old people” who drive in South Florida because most shouldn’t have drivers licenses. Or they were blaming the driver “because they probably texting” Seems a bit unfair to immediately blame the driver when it appears the guy was illegally walking on an interstate highway in the dark.
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    Motorhead yes I595 is an interstate and it is illegal for pedestrians to walk on an interstate highway. I really doubt that the typical "old Florida driver" had anything to do with this. I haven't heard the age of the driver but he was hit by a dump truck and I don't know of many elderly dump truck drivers even in Florida. I highly doubt the driver would be considered at fault since like you said it was Haskins that was illegally walking on an interstate highway at night. The only way I could see it being the driver's fault would be if they were driving while impaired or it could be proven that they were texting at the time. I hope we can eventually learn why he was walking on the highway at some point. Right now the mental breakdown / suicide seem as plausible as him running out of gas and being stupid enough to try to cross multiple lanes of high speed traffic instead of calling for help.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    If it’s ever determined he did take his own life, then Gil Brandt may be right after all. He’s 90 years old and probably should find something better to do in life than give radio interviews but people are saying he needs to be kicked out of the HOF for what he said. I thought we’re not supposed to rush to judgement
  • max_starr
    2 years ago
    I was in the area when it happened...Everyone down there talking about it.. I saw someone else the same day riding a bicycle on the I95.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion