tuscl

Best female singer

Wednesday, February 2, 2022 11:42 PM
I think ski did one a few months back about best male vocalist. Now female vocalist. My top 4 off the top of my head in no particular order 1. CeCe Peniston- Forget Nirvana, CeCe Peniston really brings you back to the early 1990's. 2. Stevie Nicks- To me it's like the most recognizable voice in Rock. So unique, you always know when she's singing. 3. Anita Baker- I've seen some of her live stuff, she could really sing the house down. 4. Sheryl Crow- Just to me the most relaxing voice I can hear in a song. How about y'all out there

49 comments

• datinman
    2 years ago
    Linda Ronstadt in her prime. Carla Bonoff Sandy Denny
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    maybe not the best but i'll throw it out there: mariah carey donna summer matha walsh floor jansen
  • TheEckster
    2 years ago
    Off the top of my head... Madonna Janet Jackson Whitney Houston
  • goldmongerATL
    2 years ago
    Marilyn Manson Alice Cooper
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    My top four would be Linda Ronstadt, Carole King, Stevie Nicks, and Sandy Denny. When Michael Nesmith passed away recently, I went out to YouTube and listened to Ronstadt singing his song "Different Drum".
  • clubdude
    2 years ago
    Grace Slick Anne Wilson
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    Katy Perry. She has big boobs and likes to kiss girls.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Nina Simone Diana Ross Aretha Franklin
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    in no o[particular order Oleta Adams Mellissa Manchester Lorretta Lynn Lynda Ronstadt
  • sweetjamesjones
    2 years ago
    Whitney Houston in her prime was beast. She had a beautiful voice.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Dolores O'Riordan; Donna Summer
  • rockie
    2 years ago
    Aretha Franklin
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    Houston, Ross, Franklin and the Wilson sisters of Heart. That’s off the top of my head.
  • TheEckster
    2 years ago
    Patty Smyth back in the day was really good. [view link]
  • Flyer78
    2 years ago
    How quickly we forget. Some good singers have been mentioned, but all of those mentioned so far would be bested by these: Karen Carpenter Mahalia Jackson Julie Andrews
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    2 years ago
    I concur with many of those listed above. I would also add: Dolly Parton Eva Cassidy Lady Gaga
  • Hank Moody
    2 years ago
    Rihanna Aretha Franklin Skylar Grey
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    I'll add Carly Simon.
  • Longball300
    2 years ago
    And from the Hard Rock corner of the room not living in the past.... Amy Lee Lzzy Hale Taylor Momsen
  • BaggerRider
    2 years ago
    Going way back in time: Lena Horne Judy Garland Dusty Springfield
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    Billie Holiday.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Katy Perry lol! I do think she has a great voice just crappy songs. Alison Krauss Basia (yeah nobody is going to even know what that is) Tracey Thorn (from Everything But the Girl) Nobody has said Taylor Swift or Billie Elish - which I think should NOT be in the conversation.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    Alison Krauss has a great voice.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    This is just a short list of ones I remember. Anita Baker - I’ve seen her live a few times, and her voice is amazing. Billie Holliday - a woman with a life story, and a voice that has the depth of her struggle. Sarah Vaughn - another voice worth a long listen. Natalie Merchant - she grew on me. Amy Lee - it took me time to appreciate her voice, but it was worth it. Lady Gaga - if you strip away the fashion, and other external stuff, her voice can be very smooth. Whitney Houston - in her prime, her voice was very powerful. Roberta Flack - she has the power and the texture. Oleta Adams - I still remember the first time someone played Circle of One for me on a cassette tape - what a voice.
  • rockie
    2 years ago
    Tina Turner Mavis Staples Laura Nyro Valerie Carter - A lesser known Karla Bonoff type from the Linda Ronstadt era and the women referenced in both a Steve Winwood song and a Jackson Browne song
  • Studme53
    2 years ago
    Laura Flanagan singing “Gloria”
  • Studme53
    2 years ago
    Sorry Laura Branigan Also Concrete Blonds singer doing “Joey”.
  • Studme53
    2 years ago
    Joni Mitchell “River” is pretty spectacular
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Janice Joplin, Bonnie Tyly, Linda Perry (4 non-blondes)
  • eyeofodin
    2 years ago
    no order: Rhiannon Giddens Ronnie Specter many from above
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    I’ll add Crystal Waters too
  • eyeofodin
    2 years ago
    Kirsty MacColl
  • michael.stivic
    2 years ago
    Have to add Annie Lennox to the list. Lots of great artists already named, but she is in my Top 5.
  • NinaBambina
    2 years ago
    I always thought Whitney Houston was the greatest of all time. Fun fact about Anita Baker, I actually met her once and saw her twice at two different basketball games. I met her at a high school basketball game, me and my friends just went up and talked to her. I had seen her previously at a Pistons game a couple years ago. (She had good seats, but our seats were so good she was actually sitting behind us).
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    Nina, that’s a great story about Anita Baker. I’ve only seen her from the cheap seats, very far away. She seemed to be a woman who appeared small, but who became a giant when she sang.
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    Janis Joplin Christina Aguilera Roberta Flack Vanity Missy Elliot Julieta Venegas
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    Tarja Turunen. And a smoke show too.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Threads like this are too hard to respond to. Way too vague. Do we limit it to the US. To specific genres or periods. Da Brat. Nicki Minaj. Edith Piaf. Helena Vondrackova. Kosheen...
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    Ann Wilson Stevie Nicks Natalie Merchant Annie Lennox
  • nicespice
    2 years ago
    Emilie Autumn —one of my favorites and LOVE her voice so much, hard to recommend her to males though because of how misandrist her songs are. And of course if there’s a male in my vehicle then my music playlist will immediately shuffle over to her since it likes to troll me, but yeah amazing singer Amy Lee- especially in “hello” [view link] Anette Olzen —seems a lot of hardcore Nighwish fans hate her and consider her the worst and most “pop” of all the female singers, but Storytime is amazing so fuck what anyone thinks there. [view link] Rosario Dawson very sweet voice [view link]
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    ^ I like Annette, she's just third after Tarja Turunen and Floor Jansen.
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    lots of nightwish fans shit on annette. if ask them which nightwish albums are their favorites most of them will say the ones with annette singing on them. go figure.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    ^ Tarja at her best. [view link]
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    ^ Go away, Cacaplop.
  • datinman
    2 years ago
    " I play Celine , he plays Tarja" Nightwish is great in all it's line-ups, but I like the original the best. You know, a lot of guys that love Celine also love Bette Midler and Liza Minnelli. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    ^ Don't believe one iota of Cacaplop's stories. Just like on SCL, he says outlandish shit here to get a reaction. Just think, if you ever feel like a loser for participating in a P4P message board, there's someone whose hobby it is to troll that board.
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    ^ I saw her on tour with Kamelot. She's legit.
  • rattdog
    2 years ago
    thank god for the female metal singers!!! you can have beyonce, adele, rhianna, taylor, etc. i'll stick with floor jansen, noora louhima, britney slays, just to name a few.
  • dustyshoes
    2 years ago
    Patsy Cline, Janis Joplin
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion