tuscl

The WAR between dancers will soon begin

PASSIVE dancers (for want of a better term) I would define as dancers that rarely if ever solicit customers for dances, therefore (for the most part) are able to completely bypass the dreaded rejection issue that most dancers absolutely detest. They generally depend upon men asking THEM to dance, or converting tip rail customers into private dance sessions, and their charm, personality and (usually 8, often 9 or 10)level of beauty means they are many times able to develop a loyal following of steady regulars. A sub-category of passive dancers is what I would call FUN dancers who are especially selective about which men they will dance and interact with, and in effect are willing to explicitely trade off earnings to make their time in the club much more enjoyable than it otherwise would be.

Some of these dancers have in the past have made good money, and some will continue to be successful going forward, however I think most will end up moving into a more active approach, and when they do, it will change the dynamic between dancers within clubs. Some will lose their popularity with other dancers, because they will seen as moving onto someone else's turf.

In contast are ACTIVE type dancers who work volume and use some variation of the "wanna dance" solicitation method, taking on nearly all potential customers whether it takes 30 seconds or some chat and maybe listening to 2 or 3 songs to then ask for the dance. If they get a no, (the most common response), they merely move onto the next candidate. Rejection for these dancers is simply something they've managed to overcome. The 8 plus level girls using these methods (I believe) are absolutely the top earners in most locales, although sometimes 6 and 7 level dancers can also do pretty well.

The question presented for these passive dancers, particuarly for example 9 and 10 level girls, is how much of the low hanging fruit do they want to give up in a period where the total inflows to clubs is clearly dropping, simply to avoid rejection or to maintain some kind of higher status within the club or perhaps to have fun. Are they willing to continue to lay off (as one example) lets say half their business, to simply keep up an image and make their job easier?

I am predicting most will need to move to a more aggressive method of earning income, and when that happens their will be a huge battle between dancers within clubs

13 comments

• jablake
    17 years ago
    Is it simply to keep up their image? Or, to make their job easier? Perhaps both are good rules of thumb, but I think that it is somewhat difficult to know their motivation.

This outgoing person made the remark to me that shy people are selfish. I don't know if you agree or disagree, but it caught me off guard. And, she truly believed that shy people are selfish. I wish I could remember her line of argument because it did make some sense. When I think of shy, I think of insecure or respectful. Some nice girls think not asking wanna dance is being respectful. If a customer likes you, then well he is a man and she just assumes he would generally most rather act like a "man." A new dancer who I approached was very insecure and as things turned out she ended up just letting customers ask her for dances even after become a pro. But, she was very shy which is a funny thing to say about a stripper. She didn't have a problem with nudity. She was just afraid of a lot things. Like the customer would find her boring or stupid or breasts were too small or she was too short or whatever. And, yes especially in that club the larger dancer seems to do better. At the right club she would be Ms. Popularity. :)

• FONDL
    17 years ago
    I think the smart dancer strategy in most clubs these days is to cultivate and keep as many regulars as they can. It's the steadiest income and may be the easiest work. But it may require some OTC activity, which is why a lot of girls resist this approach. I don't know if you consider that to be low-hanging fruit or not.

I think the real issue is the dancer who is average or below in looks and personality. My guess is that she's having a difficult time surviving in most clubs. But maybe she always did. I've never gotten to know one of them well enough to find out.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    OTC doesn't sound like low hanging fruit unless there is some real compensation or quid pro quo.

The housing market over here is DEAD. But, there seems to be money for other people. Maybe it is Homeland Security, the Drug War, Welfare? Whatever it is keep up the good work!

I haven't even bother to read the reviews of Tootsies lately, but I would assume they're doing excellent with all the money that is down here. The big negative as far as jobs would be the housing situation. It is amazing there is so much money and yet the houses seem just stuck (unsold) or being foreclosed on.
  • Professor906090
    17 years ago
    There are just too many variables to suggest that one approach is better than the other. Not only dancers' personalities and looks are different, but the personalities and preferences of the customers are different too. Additionally, different club attract different clientele and some dancers are just ill suited for a particular club. Common sense and willingness to go extra mile when needed is a good starting point, imo.
  • motorhead
    17 years ago
    David9999: I like your term "FUN" dancers. Most clubs seem to have a few of those, but I never explicity thought of it in those terms: "trade off earnings to make their time in the club more enjoyable".

I never understood why those girls choose to work in strip clubs. They don't appear to make much money. Generally, those girls do not appeal to me anyway....maybe because I'm not the type of guy they select to have fun with - I don't drink alcohol, I'm not young, and I'm not a good conversationalist. Perhaps that I why I am so attracted to my ATF. She has been dancing for 8 years and is the complete opposite of a FUN girl. She does not sit and chat with guys unless she is getting paid.....she is mercenary in her approach to dancing.....she is the consumate professional and gets rewarded for it. Some guys may not like her approach, but it works for me.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    My guess would have been at least asking customers for a dance would maximize income.

I think that I'm one of the very few who like "wanna dance" as long as the dancer asks and then goes. Even better are those who approach and don't ask if they can see that you're not interested, but I don't mind the request. Some customers look away not because they lack interest in the approaching Mack Truck, but because they're afraid of women especially women without clothing.

The image of that desperate customer licking the huge assed dancer will forever be branded in my brand. :( Might have even killed 90% of what ever brain cells I had left. It got even worse, but best to just think happy thoughts like the Burger King Value Meal. ;)

Well, here in Miami from what I've seen there isn't a dancer war. The customers may be fighting to see who has the bigger dick and can spend the most money. Another reason to move, perhaps.

• FONDL
    17 years ago
    David120, my ATF was very much a fun girl and she made a bundle, it really worked for her. She'd often sit and joke around with guys for a long time (including me.) I once asked her why she didn't try to maximize her income. She replied, "What makes you think I'm not?" She was getting huge tips to sit with guys - she considered $300 an off night, and this was in a tiny hole-in-the-wall kinda place.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    The only real passive dancers I've met who are afraid to ask for dances are new dancers that seem to lack confidence. I have seen such new dancers seem more willing to sit with one or two guys rather than risk rejection and go around the club talking to lots of people and asking for dances because she might get rejected a lot. I don't know, maybe the new dancer doesn't realize it's not a pick up bar, it's a strip club.
  • David9999
    17 years ago
    I've intentionally simplified the categories, however I believe they are the main groups. However in reality its a bit more complex, with more variations and subcategories.

Example: american girl, low 20's, min 2 or 3 yrs in business, pretty, slim blond, about an 8.5 level, a ditzy and somewhat difficult and moody personality. She's works her stage show very hard as the club has a large dancer-focused well lit stage with never more than 2 girls on the stage, very good on the stripper pole, however she at times is passive, lays back asking no one to dance even though she is usually constantly moving about the club or sipping her drinks at that bar, other times very aggressive in socializing and asking for dances, however only with selective customers. Maybe the booze fuels her courage, I am not sure. She is clearly a FUN DANCER, however both passive and active however she could be well making as much income if she was into the 100% business hard-core wanna-dance approach
  • David9999
    17 years ago
    The "low hanging fruit" as I describe it would be the constant influx of newer customers that some of the larger upscale clubs are bringing in on any given week. Now I not talking about Vegas (which of course would always have high numbers of these these type of patrons) but more stabilized areas, and I am not sure what the numbers are, but lets assume its 5 to 10% of customers at any given point

Many of these FUN DANCERS as I refer to them, will rarely if ever make a cold (e.g. non tip rail) solicitation of a patron for a dance, and I believe its primarily to make their job easier, as opposed to club image. The club image is no doubt a lesser factor, however it would come into play should the dancer be rejected by a guy, because many of these girls are looked up to by their colleagues as the prettiest girls in the club, sort of benchmark figures, and some seem to enjoy presenting the illusion that few if any men would ever turn them down should they decide to ask.

The newer customers could be either seasoned strip club junkies or new to the entire business, and its particularly this latter category where the passive dancers are laying down money -with the gains going to the active solicitation dancers. Remember some of these guys end up as regulars, but the active girls don't waste huge amounts of time pre-sorting who has money and who doesn't and who will likely dance and who won't or other factors.

Someone mentioned girls with regulars do well. Well active and passive dancers can both can have regulars, however regulars generally have a certain shelf life, and unless one is constantly recruiting new regulars, the more laid-back passive dancers will be always at a disadvantage. Maybe when patrons were rolling in cash, that strategy worked, but I think those days are increasingly numbered.

• David9999
    17 years ago
    "I think the real issue is the dancer who is average or below in looks and personality. My guess is that she's having a difficult time surviving in most clubs."

Not sure exactly what happens in most clubs assuming a large scale recession hits. One might argue that when club revenues drop, pretty girls find it less attractive to work. On the other hand, pretty girls in the real (non-dancing) world also would have (relatively) less opportunities - so as their (non-stripping) opportunity cost is lowered, it would seem dancing might now be considered more attractive

I suppose it could end up sort of like a nationwide Mons Venus (Tampa) dancer level of attractiveness, however one with lots of extras in selected regions - hard to really tell

In any case I do agree one has to wonder how these 6 and lower girls can survive as things tighten up. Who would pay increasingly valuable hard earned dollars to interact with women one can see every day for free walking into a typical Walmart
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    I would guess that a large-scale recession would benefit some strip clubs. Lots of guys collecting unemployment with nothing to do all day. But they wouldn't go to expensive places and they wouldn't spend a lot. Still some girls could benefit.

Keep in mind, though, that most of our economy is pretty recession-proof. Most industries aren't very cyclical. It would take some huge external event (like 9/11 or worse) to have a significant and lasting effect on laarge numbers of people. My guess is that the sex industry isn't very cyclical.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    Hi FONDL,

You don't think their is a danger of a currency collapse? There should in theory be a limit to how much paper money you can print. Yes, I realize it is mainly computer credits so allow me to revise it ---- can computer credits be created endlessly? No collapse?

I believe this global warming is just another fraud, but that could create a collapse depending on how real it is and how real the effect would be.

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion