tuscl

OT: Creative ways of using leftover Christmas ham

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
Monday, December 27, 2021 6:41 PM
I have come up with a number of ways to use our leftover Christmas ham, but I am open to additional suggestions. Items on the menu include: - Ham and rottelini cheese casserole using a parmesan and mozzarella cheese sauce (which was delicious) - Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches - Ham hash (delicious but a shit ton of work) - Ham and pasta alfredo We had the casserole last night for dinner and the grilled ham and cheeses for lunch. Both delicious. The ham hash will be good too but it's a lot of work, starting with cooking potatoes with the ham bone tonight, leaving them in the fridge overnight and then dicing everything up in the morning (onion, carrot, potatoes, leftover ham). It's easily 90 minutes of prep and cleaning time all in, but it has become a holiday tradition so I'm kinda' stuck now. But even with all of that it looks like I'm still going to have some more ham to use up. I've learned how to cook several of the basic French and Italian starter sauces, so I have many options, including a variety of cream and cheese sauces, but I've already done a cheese sauce with the casserole and I'm not yet sold on using it with my homemade alfredo sauce. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

27 comments

• ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    Aren't you our eternally left-over X-mas ham?
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Any kind of bean soup. I especially like ham and lima beans.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    In our house, there is a progression. - Christmas Ham - Left-over Christmas Ham - Ham sandwiches. - Seven Bean soup with ham in the middle. We do the same thing with Thanksgiving. - Turkey - Left-over turkey - turkey sandwiches - Turkey noodle soup.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    ^ Thanks guys. Unfortunately the kids don't like beans. Same with split pea soup, which is what we used to make with the ham bone and leftover meat.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    [view link] Ham and Leek Pie Ham and Cheese hot pockets Ham breakfast sandwiches Ham and pineapple rice
  • Dan3635
    3 years ago
    Omelette with chopped ham, cheese, and green onion.
  • 48-Cowboy
    3 years ago
    Ham and bean soup is the best
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    ^ Don't disagree 48 but I'd be the only one eating it.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    I'll put forth these sandwich variation ideas: 1) Ham, Salmon, and grilled cheese atop an English Muffin: ("Hammon Sandwich) 2) On sub style bread (6" plus) throw in 1 -3 other deli meats in the mix.(Might as well extend the life of roast beef, turkey, etc slices.) 3) Ditto for flour tortilla sandwiches. 4) Make it a cheese pizza topping add on.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    My mom used to grind up the leftover ham and make ham salad. It was awful. I don’t recommend it. A waste of good leftovers. This is kind of a midwestern thing, I think
  • 48-Cowboy
    3 years ago
    @ RickDugan, that is even better! That helps impress the otc ladies.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    ===> "@ RickDugan, that is even better! That helps impress the otc ladies." 😏 Ummmm....alrighty then...
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    My ex mother-in-law was the worst cook in the world. With 5 children, her husband, and her mother all living under the same roof, they rarely went out to eat so she cooked dinner nearly every night. You would think all that practice would have helped, but it didn't. The only thing she made that was even edible was "ham and noodles." When she was making "ham and noodles" everybody was looking forward to dinner. It was so simple that even SHE couldn't screw it up: diced ham, egg noodles, and ketchup. It was hilarious to see all the compliments, as if she had actually prepared some kind of genuine meal. I think "ham and noodles" was such a relief from the other fucking garbage she served, they were overjoyed to have something that wasn't a struggle to eat. Anyway @rickdugan, if your kids are fussy eaters, they should love it.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Add it to potato salad....potatoes ham boiled egg pickles onion mayo salt pepper. Pasta with garlic ham pepper olive oil
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    Use a 12 “sheet” of Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls to make “sliders” 🍔 Slice top from the sheet of rolls and place the sheet bottom in a baking pan, layer the ham and cheese 🧀 and put the top of the sheet on top. bake it at 350 degrees until the cheese melts. Enjoy
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    Denver omlette
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Dr Suehs said Green Eggs and Ham : [view link] When my oldest son was an infant, I would read a book to him before he would go to bed every night. This was his favorite. He could read it himself by the time he was 3.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    ^ Dr Suess
  • 48-Cowboy
    3 years ago
    "===> "@ RickDugan, that is even better! That helps impress the otc ladies." 😏 Ummmm....alrighty then..." If you don't believe me Rick, yall just come on down to Texas and we will get your New York ass straightened out.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    Ham and wild rice soup.
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    Should have guessed the cow tongue eating chick would also eat ham and pineapple.
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    If only Bubba from Forest Gump was a pig farmer instead of a shrimp boat captain wannabe. He could fill 10 minutes in a new movie.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    I’ve never had this, only seen on the Food Network but it looks amazing. Croque Monsieur [view link]
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    Some leftover ham is still good even after 30 years [view link]
  • herbtcat
    3 years ago
    Invite all your Jewish friends over for dinner and tell them you are serving "elephant" steaks. Oh, and be sure to wink when you say "elephant."
  • EndlessSummer
    3 years ago
    Total crowd pleaser, kids and adults alike (I'll be making this myself tomorrow as it's a fave in my house and super easy!): [view link]
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    The dog isn't sick of it yet. Soon though.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion