tuscl

Why Tampa has so many strip clubs.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
We're getting down to the naked truth.

A St. Pete reader asked for our What Are You Wondering series: "Why are there so many strip clubs in the Tampa Bay region?"

Great question. For all the news coverage Tampa Bay gets of its notorious nude scene, we still couldn't find the root of why there are so many here.
So we called Joe Redner, Tampa's strip club king. The 81-year-old takes credit for making the local scene what it is — there are about 40 clubs in the area, half of which are in Tampa.

Flashback: In 1975, Redner was managing a go-go bar called Deep South when he read a newspaper story about Erznoznik v. City of Jacksonville, in which the Supreme Court decided nudity was protected by the first amendment.

That's when he decided to open the city's first all-nude club, Tanga Lounge.
"I tried to get people around town that had clubs to go nude. All of them said no, so I started a club with a bondsman who had closed his beer joint. It was a good thing because I really needed the bondsman."
Yes, but: The industry didn't start booming until Redner opened the now "world famous" Mons Venus in 1982.

"It was just crazy. That's when everybody else took notice in Tampa," Redner said.
In 1999, the city responded to the bustling sex-work industry by banning lap dances — waging a war against Redner that he eventually won after about 150 trips to jail (by his count).
But, but, but: Tampa's strip club history goes further back than Redner.

Tampa History Center historian Brad Massey tells Axios that Redner is indeed the reason Tampa has so many nude clubs. But our reputation for sex work actually started during WWII, when the industry formed around three airfields: MacDill, Henderson and Drew Park.
During the war, so many sex workers were getting arrested that jail became known as the "women's stockade."
What he's saying: Morality is never policed in Tampa for long, Massey says.

"Tampa isn't an immoral place, but an amoral place. People are concerned about making a buck, turning a profit. You don't really have the dignity police like you do in other places. So that's why strip clubs were able to thrive."
Redner's bottom line: "Strip clubs have been here, just always. As long as there's men lusting for women and women lusting for men, there's strip clubs. You can blame that on God."

14 comments

• RockAllNight
    3 years ago
    I’ve always heard of the Tampa Bay Area as “the home of the newly-weds and nearly deads”.
    The combination of a lot of young people and a lot of retirees is ideal for strip club clientele.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Honestly not to knock Tampa, it's a nice area but it's not this dense, action packed exciting place. It's sort of collection of slow suburbs. Strip Clubs got to be the most fun thing to do. Not only that Florida really doesn't have this great job market, it's a ton of service oriented stuff so a job like stripping (no shame in it all, a fine way to make money) is probably one of the best ways to make money for a gen y/z girl. It's that, waitressing or retail for a lot of people. If your hot and don't mind doing it, the decision is easy.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    Not that there’s anything wrong with this, but Tampa is also a very friendly LBGTQ community

It’s been called the “Out Coast” or “Tampa Gay”

It just seems to be an area not too hung up about sexuality
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    Why does Tampa have so many strip clubs? Because they are profitable and the local politicians know that profitable businesses are more beneficial to the local economy than uptight bible thumpers.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Oh, I used to love the Tanga. It's been gone for several years.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    The hottest dancer I’ve ever seen in my life was at the Tanga one night I was there
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I'd heard of the Tanga Lounge here on TUSCL but never visited; and didn't know that Joe Redner, owner of Mons Venus, was the Tanga owner.

Per what was said in the OP, I would assume the Tampa area has so many clubs b/c of Redner - not only did he show how profitable a good club could be; but he was willing to take on the powers-to-be to create the type of club he wanted.
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    Somehow I'd gotten the impression it was not easy to get anything but an airdance in Tampa. Or is that just Orlando? How does Tampa compare with the Miami area?
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    Tampa can be less permissive than other areas by rule but with some girls you can have "hidden" fun as many girls are will.

The Tampa area has someone the highest mileage clubs I've ever been to and a club in Tampa is where I learned that I didn't have to sit on my hands during a dance like I did at home in San Diego.
  • goodyman
    3 years ago
    Huge Tampa/St Pete fan but they don't call it Trampa for nothing.
  • JamesSD
    3 years ago
    Mike not sure how long it has been since you clubbed in San Diego, but the days of sitting on your hands are long past. There is the occasional truly low mileage girl, especially the new girls who obey the rules strictly. But I haven't had a dance in a long time where I couldn't grab her tits and ass.

Although that said many of the SD clubs do suck badly for mileage.
  • Danton
    3 years ago
    Aren’t outcalls also legal in the Tampa area speaking of permissive?
  • nickifree
    3 years ago
    I've said it before. The further you're away from Mexico, the healthier the strip club scene.
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    I think the question we should be asking is not why Tampa has so many, but why everywhere else doesn't have as many.

But really, looking at the club listings I count 26 in Hillsborough County.

In Multnomah County, Oregon (i.e. Portland area) that are pretty close to 40 +/- a few listed as "lingerie modeling studios" (i.e. lapdance only).
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion