tuscl

I learned something today

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
They say you’re never to old to learn something new

I ran across this company today

https://ooni.com/?utm_gcmpgn_typ=us-sear…

Who knew you could but your own pizza oven. And not they expensive.

I may have that research this more. Each day it’s a challenge to find places that are open. Worked late tonight so decided to grab a burger on my way home. Stopped at the drive thru and the voice mumbled something. I said, sorry can you repeat that. He said they are closed. Door Dash orders only. Hmmmm

26 comments

• shailynn
    3 years ago
    Yeah I feel ya. I stopped at a spot last night and placed an order, local Greek place similar to Panera when ordering. Take out usually takes 10 min after placing order. Last night it was almost an hour. Felt bad for the staff, they were slammed and they all looked like high school kids. All the guys and gals in their late 20s to late 30s don’t work there anymore.

Same thing happened to me at a Chipotle about a month ago. I walked in and they yelled “we are only taking orders off the app for take out only.” I was thinking WTF - what is the different between me telling you my order versus putting it in the app???
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Yeah - it's fucked up - more than 18 months into "the pandemic" and we're dealing with all this bullshit of bad customer service; bad food preparation; and shit missing in stores - and all the current administration does is blame Trump and white supremacy for everything and just focuses on what pronouns are being used.

Lets Go Brandon
  • Uprightcitizen
    3 years ago
    Papi you are a TUSCL God but you gotta take them trump colored glasses off
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    Yes, my tortilla at Chipotle was a bit chewy yesterday. Clearly that justifies ending transparent elections, bringing back Trump, and switching to Fascism.

Yes, Biden's an ass clown. But unfortunately, for now, our only alternative is the clown from It.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Restaurants are using skeleton crews and....working them to the bone. To increase profits.

A lot of job notices are fake. They do it coz of the ppp loans they abused.

Then there's the fact that the supply chain is still broken were in the middle of a pandemic and the system is collapsing.

That said. Restaurant quality has gone to he'll.

Bidens strategy is to imitate Trump and pretend like he's Nero playing his greatest hits.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    @ilbbaicnl

You call 2020 a "transparent" election? Jesus, this country is so totally fucked.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    There’s plenty of things to criticize Biden for, but the current state of higher prices and higher scarcity is not one of them. The issues with labor is currently a worldwide phenomena under *many* types of leadership.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/29/economy/g…

Personally, I’m more suspicious it’s long-covid keeping lots of people too fatigued and too much in a brain fog to functionally even try to work. Probably not the only reason, but I still believe it’s a big one. Bigger than Biden’s influence anyways.

But yeah, that pizza oven looks pretty cool. There’s a lot of cool gadgets out there right now it seems. I’m really strongly considering getting this one hydroponic garden kit, looks more convenient and would be able to get higher quality produce that what’s available at most stores 😁
    https://mygardyn.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2vOL…

• doctorevil
    3 years ago
    You don’t need a pizza oven to cook pizzas at home. All you need is pizza stone with the oven cranked up to 500 degrees. Cook about 10 minutes and it comes out perfect.
  • yahtzee74
    3 years ago
    > I was thinking WTF - what is the different between me telling you my order versus putting it in the app???

They punch your order in to the computer for you instead of you doing it yourself. I guess that takes a person and a few minute that they don't have.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    That’s a good tip. I haven’t tried a homemade pizza in awhile - I guess I’m too lazy. My flavor is good but I never could get the crust to come out the way I like it
  • yahtzee74
    3 years ago
    Biden's attitude, intentions, and actions regarding fossil fuels are responsible for the increase in gas.

Biden makes statements being dismissive of labor shortage and demanding higher wages. There's a labor shortage but it's his policy to remove more workers from work force if they don't get vaccinated.

Biden is exacerbating problems instead of fixing them.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Those Kamado grills are great for homemade pizza. You still need a pizza stone, but the temperature controls are reliable and exact, and you can use wood for fuel and a true "wood-fired pizza."

Biden is vastly responsible for the failure to control COVID (he said he would eliminate it, instead it got worse), the supply chain crisis (giving all our production back to communist China), and the labor shortage (paying people to stay home). You liberals need to quit drinking the democrat party kool-aid. It's killing America.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    motorhead: "This pizza oven looks cool."

TUSCL: "But politics!"

desertscrub: "I took all my meds at once!"

[END SCENE]
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    It doesn't taste the same out of a normal oven.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Making home pizza is fun. You can get a good home oven result by making a heat shield to protect the top of the pizza so you can use the highest heat you can. I know that this works myself. I got a second rack for the oven to do this. Lets you bake the bread fully, without over doing the cheese.

And then I know one guy who cast a concrete slab to put under the pizza, you let that heat up for a long time with the oven. This helps you bake the dough, again while protecting the cheese from burning. Good for doing in the winter.

SJG
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    Maybe it's because I'm old and my taste buds are dying like the rest of me, but I find that decent frozen pizzas are pretty competitive with take out if you bake them (in a regular oven) with one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aluminium-Thi… .
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    I’ll be honest homemade pizza in a lot ways comes out better than a lot of frozen pizza, fast food pizza and yeah even some Italian spots.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    Chain store pizza (Dominos, Papa John, etc.) all SUCKS! I'd rather eat a piece of toast with ketchup and shredded cheddar on it.
  • yahtzee74
    3 years ago
    Instead of buying a dedicated pizza oven you could modify your regular oven to go up to 800 degrees like this guy did:

https://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.ht…

• san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    You can't safely modify a conventional oven to go up to 800 deg F. The clearances to outside objects are inadequate and the electrical insulations will not take that.

My method of the top side heat shield to protect the cheese, and my friends method of the concrete slab underneath to preheat are about as far as you can go.

SJG

https://tuscl.net/photo.php?id=2156
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    SJG learned this the hard way. He was banned from Section 8 housing after the fire, they told him he had to stay at least 20 feet from the stove at the homeless shelter.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Ha Ha Ha!

SJG
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    This is why I don't ignore SJG. He'll take it on the chin with a grin if you make even a half-assed attempt to make it humorous.
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-stat…. Looks like the employment rate was about 61% pre-covid, and it's back up to 59%. I'm guessing a big part of the 2% difference is parents who have to stay home with kids till the schools reopen. And I'm hoping some people didn't come back to work at Taco Bell because they started online classes online community college classes in auto repair when they got laid off. I'm better at making my own tacos than fixing my own car. Consumer demand is rising ( https://www.wsj.com/articles/us-economy-… ), so it could just be that supply chains that were reduced in volume can't ramp back up fast enougn. But that should sort itself out within months.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Actually, when I was married we lived in one apartment for a long time and for a while I was the building manager. I then recruited someone else when I wanted more time to be able to go with a start up company.

But when I was manager I learned a lot about repairing stoves and ovens, and I stored up a huge cash of parts.

But I saw first hand that residential stoves and ovens and their durability and their safety, they are okay, but just only okay. You don't want to try and make them be able to go hotter.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    ^^^^ Lets chill out and try to respond to the OP's topic, and not go into negative meta-narrative.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion