tuscl

What's up with scanning IDs in PA?

occurious
California
Wednesday, September 29, 2021 9:06 PM
Was in PA over the weekend on a business trip and went to a club I had gone to before. The guy at the front scanned my DL which surprised me but didn't really concern me. I haven't been there in probably 5 years and that wasn't done then. I was reading some recent reviews for other PA clubs and it seems like this has become a common thing. Does anyone know what the deal is there?

22 comments

• san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Total speculation, but it might be what insurance companies want. It might reduce the risk of danger and problems.

Otherwise, they might secretly have designated it as a membership club, and they might be making you a member. There could be huge advantages to this legally.

SJG
  • 214ard97
    3 years ago
    I asked the other night in WB and was given some line about if you get too intoxicated, they know who you are and won’t let you drive home. I’ve had it scanned at several clubs in PA now. Personally I think they are tagging people who are abusive or cause problems at the clubs. I’ll keep asking to see if any consistency on what it is all about
  • occurious
    3 years ago
    Yeah I really didn't think to ask or think anything about it until after I left. I made a comment that it was the first time I've been carded in decades and only after that did I notice the scan but it was so quick it just passed me by then later when I was reading reviews I started thinking about it. I had two thoughts, it seems like it's probably a liability thing, probably not at the level of insurance but I could see a club lawyer suggesting it just to be safe. I also thought it might be COVID/contact tracing related but then why wouldn't that occur in every bar in the state?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I won’t let any strip club scan my license ever, that’s a big red flag, I’ll go elsewhere
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I’ve not been to a strip club in Pa for many years.

However, I’ve been to a few supermarkets and bought beer, and all scanned my DL. It wasn’t an issue at the supermarket, but I understand how it might be at a strip club.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    Could be a state requirement, but there are plenty of other NE clubs that scan IDs too. The Nanny states get worse every year that passes.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Years ago, while in college several convenience stores near campus had a machine that would scan the back of the ID to verify if it was real or not, because kids using fake IDs was common. It didn’t work for every state ID back then but did for most of them.

It was such a hassle and slowed down the check out so much eventually stores said “screw it,” we’ll take our chances with getting fined during a fake ID sting versus slowing down the check out line.

Way around this as a college student? Find someone that looks like you, is 21 and talk him/her into giving you a duplicate of their real ID.
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    Most ID scanners aren't for detecting fake ID's, they're for data collection. There are some that detect fakes, usually they're the ones with little flatbed scanners they put the ID in with the picture side facing the scanner. The ones that just scan the barcode or magnetic strip don't really detect anything but the crappiest fakes, at least not on their own.

The ID scanners are often part of bar management/point of sale packages. They scan ID's and keep a database of customers habits. If you pay your bar tab with a card, they'll correlate it. They have a database of "bad" customers, and will refuse service to people flagged as such. They'll also add you to the db if you do something they don't like. Something like disputing a credit card charge could get you on their list. Some of the companies share databases for that stuff.

Mostly what it does for bar owners is show them demographical info, They have your age/sex/address and do dashboards that show average ages & proximity during certain windows. In theory, you can cater services and market better with that sort of information. It also shows stuff like trends, last year customers used to come 3x a month this year its 2.4, etc. Or last year it was 95% male, this year its 80%.

There are two clubs in Palm Beach doing this now, I only go to them when I'm with friends who insist on going. I used to give them carry permit as an ID, because it's a state issued card with my birthday on it but it doesn't have a barcode. Last time I gave them that one, they rejected it and I left. I'm guessing they'll be a third if I ever stop by the latest place to re-open, but I'm not really in a hurry because I'm assuming they'll be doing that shit.

• twentyfive
    3 years ago
    @Dolfan
    I only know about Monroe’s which is the second one and what club do you expect to reopen?
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    IME, this isn't a prevalent practice, but I'm aware of some OH, IN, and NM clubs doing this. I propose that founder put a "Driver License Scan", Y or N section on basic club profile. I'm not the only tuscl member where such a scan is a deal breaker item. Some clubs are only rigorous about this in weekend nights, days/ early evening week nights not so much.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Questionable tactics - becoming the nanny state right? I don’t worry as much as others but I probably should. Last night my wife googled something very questionable relating to murder as it was related to a news article she was reading. I joked “now you’re probably in the FBIs database because of that search.” It’s probably not far from the truth.
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    @25 - Rhino started with the ID scanning a couple of months ago. I meant to write a review, but never got around to it. My buddy who wanted to go last time is coming back into town soon and is already begging to go again, so I may end up having to go back. If I do, I'll write a review that time. The former night manager from Booby Trap Pompano started working there too. So the absurdly loud music was in full effect, along with some of the other dumb shit from BT, but none of the positives. Maybe I'll try to write a review anyway.

The one I expect to reopen is "ORA Ultra Cabaret" formerly Epic/The Manor/Double Dee's. I posted a comment in the forum for that club the other day. They've got xmas lights outside on all the trees, new signs out front, and I saw a fair amount of cars in the lot the last weekend. They've got fake reviews on google up & a Facebook page saying the Grand Opening is this week. I'm sure its the same owners & management as before, so I'm expecting the same ol shit. This time it looks like the entire building will be the strip club though. I'm out that way during the day all the time, but rarely in the evenings. So if they open during the day I might stop in, but if its just night time it may be a while before I stop in. Not gonna make a special trip, especially knowing they'll probably scan ID's and I'll end up going down to Pompano instead.
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    Also, I'd be in favor ID scanning being a club detail that's up there with club type and cover.
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    Strongly agree Dolfan, great idea

Note that some clubs in this area ID scan at night but not for dayshift, so it'd be best to have 3 options "No ID scanning" "Yes nightshift only" "Yes". I doubt there are any clubs that only scan IDs during the day and not night, so no option needed. But I think it's important information that you can go to a particular club during dayshift and not get scanned
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    @Dolfan
    Seems to me Spearmint Rhino is slowly going out of business, what a shame that was a very strong club not so long ago, seems management has no idea how to run a club any more
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    A few weeks ago I needed to withdraw a large sum of cash (more than you'd get at the ATM) so had to go inside the bank. Gladly handed the teller my driver license. She looked at it, looked at me, gave it back and handed over the cash.

If a bank doesn't need to scan your ID, why the fuck would a strip club? No way man. That's a deal breaker for me. I can't remember the last time I was asked for ID at a club, but if I ever am I would verify there's no scanner before even taking my wallet out.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    "I propose that founder put a "Driver License Scan", Y or N section on basic club profile. "

I requested this very thing a few years ago because scans are a deal breaker to me and knowing this would save me the trip. Founder added it to the club overview section back then, but this was several versions ago when there were a list of checkboxes to allow for easy editing of club information. Now that we just have one big box it says "Suggested Update", it is much harder to make timely corrections.
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    Maybe push suggested update & say "ID Scan: Yes" or After 8pm only or whatever?
  • BAngus
    3 years ago
    I tend to take my passport card when I go out to clubs to keep them from scanning my address. I've never had anyone reject it yet.
  • AbbieNormal
    3 years ago
    I was in two PA clubs September 24th and 25th. Neither even carded me, though one carded (but didn't scan) the group of college guys ahead of me. I don't think I've ever had my ID scanned in any club, though I tend to avoid peak hours for the most part. It could be anything from insurance to local ordinances that leads clubs to go down that road.
  • Boss Hogg
    3 years ago
    From what I gather thevreadon they do this if they 86 someone, they can make sure the person isn't let back in when there is other staff working the door.
  • wld4tatas
    3 years ago
    I agree, adding this info to the club profile will help us avoid the places that scan ID.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion