tuscl

[OT] What are you watching?

Call.Me.Ishmael
Rhode Island
Departing from my occasional "What are you reading?" threads, what movies or TV shows have you been watching that you've enjoyed and why?

I just finished re-watching "The Sopranos" to refresh my memory for the upcoming prequel series starring James Gandolfini's son ("The Many Saints of Newark"). I'm looking forward to it.

https://youtu.be/KxNTz6qr9ts

26 comments

• Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Re-watched "The Shield" and "The Wire" in the last year. Damn good shows.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Best horror movie ever Martyrs. The French one from like 2006 I think.

I watch the Simpsons family guy bobs burger. Futurama.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Oddly, I've never watched "The Shield", though I'm sure I'd enjoy it. "The Wire" was a brilliant series.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    Watched THE SUICIDE SQUAD on the IMAX motion picture film format on a very large screen, because I have to be “up to date” with my kids (my own and and my students) and it was entertaining.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    Currently watching Homeland. The first season was about as good anything ever on episodic television. But each season gets progressively worse. In season 6 and it’s barely watchable
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I gave up on Homeland somewhere in season 3.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    I gave up The Shield after 4 or 5 episodes. I’ll probably try it again someday.

The Wire - good but a bit disappointing. I was expecting more considering many people consider it to be the GOAT. I think people got caught up too much in its realism. One of the first shows to say “Fuck” twenty times per hour.

Justified - great, great series. Very underrated.

Sons of Anarchy - a stripper turned me on to SOA. Not rocket science but gritty, compelling storylines. Great show

Breaking Bad. A rare series that gains momentum season after season

Ozark - outstanding. Can’t wait for its return

Yellowstone - very good but a weak follow up after finishing Justified and Ozark

The Sopranos - never watched it (yet)

Mad Men - a bit of a soap opera, but loved it

Deadwood. Way overrated. Did not like it

• misterorange
    3 years ago
    Godfather of Harlem with Forest Whitaker as Bumpy Johnson. Intense drama. Good acting. Hot bitches. Plenty of shocking violence. It's got everything.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    The Wire is great, but overrated in that everyone makes it out to be the ultimate gritty drama.

The Shield is less realistic, but it builds so well season over season, and the shit those guys get away with is awesome. One of the best series endings of all time.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I'm into comedies. Tonight on Netflix I watched "Rain Man", "The Late Bloomer" & "Good luck Chuck".
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Recently re-watched:

Peaky Blinders
    Vikings
    The Last Kingdom
    Warrior

Probably re-watching soon:

The Americans
    Justified
    Goliath
    Fauda (if you can handle subtitles, it's fantastic, almost like an Israeli 24)

Need to start Bosch at some point
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I don’t watch much TV. I’m not up to date on the latest binge watching trends.

The show I tend to watch - if it’s on - is To Catch a Smuggler on NatGeo. I find it amazing at how folks try to smuggle drugs and contraband using creative methods - and how little is ever found.

I want to watch the Sopranos. I have been around that area for most of my life, and it sounds like a very cool show.
  • JamesSD
    3 years ago
    Just started White Lotus. It's got Alexandra Daddarios tits in it and it's quite good.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    The Americans had some great sex scenes that I wasn’t expecting.

Keri Russell’s butt gets an A plus
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    Hacks - couple funny ladies and great writing
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I've become addicted to the x files
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    X-Files was a great show until it started seriously jumping the shark in later seasons.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Good call on X-Files. I was like 11 when that started... All-time favorite show
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I love all the episodes although I missed Mulder. Then the new episodes they made years ago aren't bad either
  • magicrat
    3 years ago
    Schitt's Creek
    I too can't wait for the new Ozark season
    Same for Bosch
    Same for Better Call Saul
    Back in the day I thought Gillian Anderson's Scully was about the hottest woman I had ever seen
  • From978
    3 years ago
    A couple of offbeat comedies:

Conrad Detective: a TV series parody framed as a newly discovered Bulgarian show from the 1960s, dubbed into English, complete with unsynchronized dialog, miss-cut stunts, and propaganda. (For example, the corrupt American coke dealer is smuggling soft drinks.). (Amazon prime)

Norsemen (Netflix). Filmed in Norway by Norwegian actors speaking English, it imagines an 8th century Viking civilization with the attitudes and sensibility of modern Scandinavia.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Frank of Ireland on Amazon Prime was pretty damn funny as well.
  • gSteph
    3 years ago
    Been watching the 1st few episodes of 'Jane the Virgin'. Not enough nudity, but it is funny.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I just watched night of the living dorks. A German horror comedy.

https://youtu.be/0Gbf1Rpvgzg
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    @Misterorange, you inspired me to watch Godfather of Harlem. Great show. Thanks!
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    Just finished "Dave" on Hulu. What a wild show. Also watch "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" almost every day
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion