tuscl

One of the lies in this industry...

“Dancing at the club burns a TON of calories”

Wore my Apple Watch for some shifts to test it out, and the movement activity was pretty telling. One of these clubs I tried it out at was 2 stories and I’d frequently go up and down for either the dressing room or customers or whatnot, and it had a 20 foot pole (that I’d climb high up on). Didn’t put in the dent I was hoping for.

Idk, maybe Baby Dolls in Dallas it would be possible to get a lot of activity in?

23 comments

• Mate27
    3 years ago
    I’d think the biggest benefit is that dancing keeps you busy so you’re not consuming unnecessary food/beverages. As long as you’re not drinking on the job you’re coming out ahead. You know what they say about idle hands?

The moderate physical activity helps keep things moving, too. That always helps since sitting for too long is detrimental to one’s health.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Girls are always eating though....
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    If you swing around a pole for 3 sets a night, then consume chackin fangers dipped in ranch with Juice, do you have a calorie surplus or deficit?
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that.. um.. sex burns like 500 calories in 15 minutes. And .. um... think that goes up to... um.. like 1500 calories for a girl in reverse cowgirl position. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. Don't listen to that lying fitbit.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I have an Apple Watch that I use to track my steps - and also to track my runs. It is very useful to record steps and mileage - and heart rate increases. However, I don’t know if it is accurate in capturing dance calories burned.

You don’t strike me as a big booty twerking type of dancer - so I doubt it would be useful to position the watch on your backside.

I wonder if there is an app that more accurately captures stripper calories burned? If your hands are moving up and down - it thinks you are giving a hand job - and expects the rhythm to increase dramatically for a few minutes. Sadly - that’s a very one-sided workout.

Pole work may be more strength oriented - and not as easily captured by a watch that either relies on hand swings - or gps to capture distance.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I had a stripper tell me that I needed more exercise. She suggested fucking but didn't offer to help me.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    I think it would depend on the type of club you are dancing at. If it is the kind of place where you spend a large amount of time sitting with customers to sell vip sessions between stage shows you may not burn many calories since your activity is so intermittent. If it is a lap dance factory type of club where you are almost constantly giving $5 lap dances the whole time between stage sets you would likely see more calories burned.
  • georgmicrodong
    3 years ago
    The calories you burn doing cardio activities aren't as important as the calories you burn while just existing. I'm betting that you have enough muscle mass that your at rest burn is almost as high as someone like *me* burns walking. :D

As far as I've been able to tell, the Apple Watch doesn't do a great job of figuring out what your at rest burn is. It depends on a self estimate of "activity level", and has only like 4 choices. It doesn't really have any way to actually measure metabolism.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    All I know is if mine says I’ve walked at least 5 miles in a day I have no guilt eating chocolate at night.
  • Uprightcitizen
    3 years ago
    Moving around in a club vs. Ice cream, booze, couch and Netflix = exercise
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    I'm not sure how accurate the Apple Watch is. I've read the "Exercise" minutes depend on arm movement, like swinging arms when walking or running. My Apple Watch does a good job of measuring biking distance and time, but I'm not sure about general exercise.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    I’ve never known anyone who got an Apple Watch to lose weight, who actually lost weight.
  • FishHawk
    3 years ago
    🔼. I did. It really helped. It measures exercise minutes by cou timing those minutes you are working hard enough to raise your pulse above a certain level. It is a useful tool if you use it.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    Fish hawk, that makes sense. I see how it can be useful. It’s just that those I know who have it seem to kind of casually use it to give themselves permission to eat more if it says they’ve had a good day’s burn. Glad you’ve used it to it’s potential.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    My thoughts are if you need an electronic device monitoring your movements to hold yourself accountable, then you haven’t set up a healthy routine to begin with. Start adding one healthy routine every 6 months and you won’t be needing those electronic devices for monitoring. You’ll be able to stay in the present moment to enjoy life more, without filling your head up with unnecessary gadgets.
  • gSteph
    3 years ago
    There's lies in this industry ?
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    I'm with jackslash in wondering whether the Apple Watch is any good at measuring calories burned in activities like dancing. I don't have an apple watch, but I've found a few exercise devices, and all seem to be better at measuring things like running. If I do a HIIT routine that absolutely crushes me for the day, it tells me I've taken 30 steps and burned 6 calories lol... the only accurate thing I've found for that kind of exercise is a heartrate monitor on a chest strap.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    From what I’ve heard from some of the experts is that for something to have a physiological effect it needs to be a focused routine per se (like a consistent walk; or lifting dumbbells for X sets and Y reps; etc) – they say that just b/c one is moving it does not necessarily produce the required effect – i.e. doing chores at the house; gardening; etc; while better than nothing, it does not produce the required effect – i.e. there’s a difference b/w moving-around and exercise
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    Dancing keeps you in great shape. I was in fantastic shape every time I've danced regularly without even needing a gym. I definitely was in the worst shape of my life during quarantine.
  • georgmicrodong
    3 years ago
    @jackslash, the Apple Watch uses a combination of what you've set as your "fitness level" and heart rate to estimate calories burned. It's an estimate, albeit one based on at least *some* data, but it's better than nothing.
  • MackTruck
    3 years ago
    https://m.aliexpress.com/item/3270917407…

^^^ I just bought apple watches for all my bitches. Den dey be on time for da $5 lappers and da flapperjack tiddys dances
  • BBBC
    3 years ago
    What are you talking about spice girl! I burn tons of calories dancing 🕺🔥🕺🔥🕺🔥🕺🔥🕺😉
  • JamesSD
    3 years ago
    If a girl gets on stage twice in a five hour shift and sits on her phone the rest of the time she is not burning many calories.

The girls who practice pole tricks on the spare stage or who walk through the club every 5-10 minutes probably burn more.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion