tuscl

Colonial pipeline shut down. Let the lines begin.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Just drove past my Kroger and the panic buying has started. People waiting in line. Can't wait for the "Green new deal".

13 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Waiting in line to buy gas?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ I don’t think that pipeline affects us here in Florida but it’s going to make it difficult from Georgia to New Jersey for a week or two
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Yeah - I was hearing on the radio that a lot of the gas that comes into FL comes via barges and not the pipeline but I'd imagine if this is not resolved soon that it may affect FL to some extent
  • BumHip
    3 years ago
    Early adopters of electric cars will be laughing their butts off as they wizz past the lines.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    It's worse. Some idiot on the local news said all commerce could come to a halt because there would be no fuel for trucks. My local Publix had somewhat empty shelves and long lines. People panic buying because of this. Yes, the toilet paper aisle was empty.
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Interesting article that explains all the details of this. Also shows a map of the pipeline.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphi…
  • gobstopper007
    3 years ago
    Colonial has a tank farm in Greensboro. Whenever I have done a limo ride at Treasure Club that’s the landmark where the dancer tells me it’s time to start putting clothes back on.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    Gee, thanks for "subscribers only" link, dopehead.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    I notice the Russians didn't do this before Biden took over and saved us......
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    The link works fine for me. You must be banned for USA Today. I would sue.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Thousands of gas stations have gone dry due to unwarranted panic buying. This is what man-made disaster looks like. If people would just watch the news, relax, and not react based on fear, then this would have been barely a blip. But there is this "me first" attitude that leads people to hoarding gas, hoarding toilet paper, refusing masks and vaccinations, and so on. I blame social media and reality TV.

The most interesting part, to me, is that this was not an infrastructure attack. It was ransomware. The hackers did nothing that mechanically interrupted the flow through the pipeline. Rather they stole, isolated, and held for ransom the customer files that Colonial would need to properly bill the recipients for their fuel deliveries. Colonial was the one who shut down the pipeline, because no company wants to deliver product without knowing who to bill.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    I ate lunch today where I could see the gas station next door. People in line for 45 minutes and when they got to the pump the topped off their car (most pumped for 2 minutes or less. Many of them of them had 1-3 gas cans anywhere from 1 to 5 gallon variety. One lady filled three milk jugs and put them in the back seat with her toddler in the car seat.

I also saw that 75% of the dozen or so stations I passed were out of gas.

The crazy thing was on the news they showed stations in Chicago and Cleveland out of gas. They are nowhere near that pipeline.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion