tuscl

Robin Williams would've turned 70 this year

In honor of that, I came across a Tonight Show with Johnny Carson clip with him back in '87. People always talk about how if you made it on the Tonight show your career was made, but in this case I have never seen *anybody* just destroy like this on the tonight show. Johnny was absolutely loosing it. And a lot of it stills holds up today. Funny dude I still miss him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id4q1PnY…

14 comments

• shadowcat
    4 years ago
    My favorite movie of his is "The Birdcage".
  • Heellover
    4 years ago
    I heard the news driving home from work. I was listening to a sports talk show that I liked back then. I listened to sports talk shows at work and on the way home for many, many years. They only were interrupted twice (still the hosts talking but switched topics off of sports) while I was listening. Robin Williams and Sandy Hook news (right when it happened).

Anyway when I heard the news about Robin Williams the hoSts could barely speak and were like our prayers go out to his family as we've just learned of the news. I caught the back end (maybe they weren't speaking clearly or maybe it just caught me so off guard) and was like who and then they were like to the Robin Williams family. They hadn't fully said what happened yet so I was thinking like really bad car wreck or something. Then when the one guy said more of the story and mentioned brain disease and everything I almost had to pull over. I was almost home so I just went home and looked it up first thing (even though I'm sure I had a million other things to do).
  • Heellover
    4 years ago
    I don't know if I have a favorite since all so good. I still love "Jack" and have seen it many times even in bits and pieces sometimes when it is shown on regular tv. His performance in "One Hour Photo" was just out of this world too. He is so believable in the different type of role it's crazy. Movie/his role in it- doesn't get a lot of recognition because its not a comedy (I know jack wasn't exactly a comedy either but man it definitely had some very funny parts)
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    His comedy was amazing. He was full of energy and creativity.

His jokes were great during the clip posted too.

It still hurts to think of the pain he must have been in on the other side of his comedy.
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    I enjoyed his performance in "Good Morning Vietnam".
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I thought that he had such a wide range of roles does anyone remember his portrayal of a medical student in Patch Adams.
    He was great and a rare talent.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    I was never a Robin Williams fan. His films were too sappy and preachy for my taste.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    I thought he was incredibly funny and enjoyed his standup. He had a horrible reputation among comedians for stealing material. If he walked into a comedy club there were comedians who’d refuse to perform. At least that’s what an aspiring comedian friend told me back in the late 80’s early 90’s.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Dead Poet Society and World’s Greatest Dad were especially great imo. I miss his stuff too
  • Heellover
    4 years ago
    I do remember Patch Adams. Great performance. Dead poets society so good also.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    I never thought his movies were funny, and his stand-up even less so. I just didn't get his type of humor. I liked him better as a creepy weirdo in One Hour Photo, and Insomnia where he starred with Al Pacino. Anyway, lots of people loved him and he seemed like a nice guy. It's too bad he died the way he did and that all his fame and fortune couldn't change the troubles he faced psychologically.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    I still laugh when I watch this scene. It’s goofy -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vSLv1C6QaM…
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    He had pretty severe Lewey Body Dementia at time of death. If you haven't seen someone suffering from it, trust me when I tell you how awful it is. It's almost always misdiagnosed as Parkinsonism, not that there would be much different to do in treatment, just a difference in expected outcomes. You can live a fairly long, normal life with well-controlled PD. If you have LBD, you need to get your affairs in order.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I respected his talent but was not a hardcore fan - but then again I've never been a huge movie watcher so perhaps I missed his best work which may have turned me into a fan.

I didn't know he was suffering from a debilitating illness - that would def make someone want to stop living and not live under poor circumstances/health - a lot of these comedians come across to me as tortured-geniuses and I originally thought this may have been the root-cause of his death.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion