tuscl

OT: Our tax dollars "hard at work"

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
More Than 1,000 Baltimore School Officials Make $100,000 A Year As Students Continue To Fail

School officials in Baltimore are making more than $100,000 a year even though they’re failing students in the district.

The Washington Examiner reported that 1,307 school employees are paid more than $100,000 a year, with the highest-paid teacher earning $156,601. Of the more than one thousand officials earning six-figures, 316 are teachers. This is double the number of teachers making more than $100,000 in 2018. The median teacher salary in Baltimore last year was $73,592, while the average income in the city was just $29,843.

The Examiner noted that Baltimore City Schools CEO Dr. Sonja Santelises was the district’s highest-paid employee, making $339,000 a year, $22,000 more than she was making just three years ago.

The news comes after Project Baltimore reported earlier this month that a high school student managed to rank near the top half of his class despite failing all but three classes over four years and obtaining a 0.13 grade point average. The unnamed student is Tiffany France’s son, whom she thought was going to receive his diploma this year. She learned just this year, however, that he would not graduate.

“He’s stressed and I am too. I told him I’m probably going to start crying. I don’t know what to do for him,” France told the outlet. “Why would he do three more years in school? He didn’t fail, the school failed him. The school failed at their job. They failed. They failed, that’s the problem here. They failed. They failed. He didn’t deserve that.”

France’s son is a student at Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts. France works three jobs and has two other children.

“She thought her oldest son was doing well because even though he failed most of his classes, he was being promoted. His transcripts show he failed Spanish I and Algebra I but was promoted to Spanish II and Algebra II. He also failed English II but was passed on to English III,” the outlet reported.

She thought that since he was moving up to the next grade, he must be passing. Project Baltimore looked into her son’s records and discovered that he “failed 22 classes and was late or absent 272 days,” though only one teacher ever requested a parent conference. France told the outlet the school never informed her that her son was failing and not attending his classes.

“I feel like they never gave my son an opportunity, like if there was an issue with him, not advancing or not progressing, that they should have contacted me first, three years ago,” she said.

France’s son was not the only student at the school who kept moving up despite failing. Project Baltimore reported that hundreds of students were promoted while failing most of their classes and skipping school.

After the report, Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD) demanded a full investigation into Augusta, the Examiner reported.

“This is completely unacceptable,” Hogan said, according to the outlet. “It’s worse than anything I’ve heard in the whole time that I’ve been governor. The fact that this particular school in Baltimore City School system is failing that many kids is just outrageous.”

As the Examiner noted, Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott claimed the problem stemmed from a lack of funding, but Baltimore is fifth out of America’s 100 largest school systems in terms of per-student spending, which places it higher than Chicago, Detroit, and Houston.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/more-than…

10 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I believe school-officials/teachers should be fairly compensated but I rather see the free-market at play vs corrupt-unions in bed w/ politicians setting up sweetheart deals/compensation for themselves
  • Heellover
    4 years ago
    Sounds like it would be a cool movie. I liked the movie Orange County when the guy who was the smartest kid in school got denied to his dream college and the "stoner" kid got into it (even though he didn't remember applying there- cause he never did haha) because of transcripts being switched.

Also not to do with school, but one of my favorite movies is Office Space. Guy stops caring, barely shows up and when he does doesn't do much of anything and gets promoted. Meanwhile his hard working friends get fired (or are about to since he gets some inside info).

This kid had a .13 GPA and ranked in the top half of his class. Failed 22 classes and only one teacher requested a parent teacher conference. Now that's just awesome and worthy of a movie! They could even start it normally with the student getting moved on as normal (2-3 minutes of him attending classes randomly and just explaining that he was "moved on" to the higher subjects and class) and eagerly awaiting his graduation and then go from there/backtrack with the truth.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Baltimore spends $17,493 per school kid each year and this is what they get. By comparison, my kids' school district spends LESS THAN HALF that per student and it is the most highly rated school system in the state of FL.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    nyc private high school teachers would be pissed after reading that article. according to ziprecruiter.com those teachers were earning the average salary amounting to $52,514.

well at least that baltimore kid had a higher gpa than john belushi in animal house.
  • Sgtsnowman
    4 years ago
    Governor Larry Hogan has chosen to be blind to all this until it got called out. He's just a tool who investigates this stuff when he thinks it will play well in the news. Expect no change unless you change the leadership...
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    The kid got a C a D and 22 F's. I think he spent too much time on that class where he got a C.
  • Heellover
    4 years ago
    Wonder what the C was in.

Unless it was some kind of physical education (most likely), it was probably a class where you got extra credit for writing your name correctly in the upper right hand corner!
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    a C- grade point average just might good enough to make the school's honor roll. get that kid those applications to johns hopkins and duke.
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    Having interacted with several different groups of union workers over the years teachers and the associated administrators are the most entitled, whiny, lazy, pathetic "professionals" I have ever encountered.
  • CJKent_band
    4 years ago
    @Papi_Chulo

You wrote, and I quote:

“I believe school-officials/teachers should be fairly compensated but I rather see the free-market at play vs corrupt-unions in bed w/ politicians setting up sweetheart deals/compensation for themselves”

How do you feel about the 1%; the wealthy collusion of business and politicians along with celebrities that benefit from the American System of Government?

In America, as in most of the world, it is the sufferings of the many that pay for the life of opulence and luxuries of the few.

Everyone knows that the wealthy didn’t earn their wealth by working hard and being honest.

Your own comments made me remember this quote:

“My brother once told me that nothing someone says before the word “but” really counts” ~ Benjen Stark
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion