tuscl

"Lap Factory": Your Definition, and "In The Dictionary" Club

minnow
Any place that interests me.
I've seen the term "lap factory" bandied about on DB, and reviews. I lay no claim to originating term, my "understanding" of lap factory is, roughly that of a club that pushes lapdances hard on the customer, and de-emphasizes, or omits other elements of club experience ( stage shows, floorside seating tables similar to normal cocktail lounges, etc). To elaborate further, lap factories do the maximum number of the following things to the greatest extent possible:
1) Frequent parade of "wanna dance" dancers
2) Frequent hawking of dances by DJ, often announcing 2fers that are nothing more than 2 short songs
3) Only 1 stage in use, empty during "dance specials.
4) Relative paucity of floorside seating/tables, discourages dancers to "hang out" with customer(s) for protracted period of time.

My nominee(s) for club that should "be in the dictionary" as a lap factory include Deja Vu, and Spearmint Rhino chain clubs. Although a lot of clubs are guilty of offense#1, to varying degrees, these chains, with blabby DJ, and gimmicky dance specials (along with empty stages) seem to be saying- "OK, for those of you not getting dances, this is our way of saying f#*k you and f#*k off for 5-10 minutes per hour.

Your thoughts, and examples with rationale??

12 comments

• casualguy
    17 years ago
    I thought many of the large clubs in South Carolina were like lap dance factories. However there usually are multiple stages in use when the club is busy. It's not too bad, some dancers do talk to the customers for a while (if they think you're going to buy a dance) or if you're a regular. Music is loud and it's hard to have a conversation as well in many areas of the club. I just left. This isn't normal but I got stopped and asked for a dance from about 4 or 5 different dancers one at a time before I got out of the club tonight. What wasn't normal for me was getting stopped in the hallway or entrance to the main part of the club. The more crowded a lap dance factory is, the less you get asked for dances. At the Masters on a slow night with probably over 100 dancers, I think I was asked over 100 times for dances in 2 or 3 hours. On a busy night there, I was probably asked only a dozen times in 2 hours. I don't mind getting asked if they sit on your lap and do other things I enjoy. If you have a few favorites, the majority of dancers won't be able to get to you either if they are tying you up. There are lots of seats in the big clubs in South Carolina. Makes it easier for a dancer to locate you if you're sitting down.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    Dancers will often get on the stage in the busy clubs that I'm familiar with even during the announced two for ones. There is often a temporary lull unless the club is busy. One small club does keep the dancers off the stage for 10 minutes effectively saying "f**k you" if you didn't get a lap dance during their hourly announced two for one. I don't know, perhaps my idea of a lap dance factory is different than some others. All the clubs I'm familiar with have the dancers earning the majority of their money from dances with lap dances being the most expensive (other than private rooms). The bigger the club is, the more dancers work there walking around asking "wanna dance".
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    I don't think "lap factory" needs a detailed definition because it's self-explanatory. It just describes a tendency that almost any club can have at times when it's busy and the dance offers keep coming around like an impersonal assembly line.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    To me an LD factory, and I may have originated the term, I've at least been using it for a very long time, is a club that emphasizes LDs and LDs are the main reason anyone goes there. Mons Venus is the obvious example. I don't think the other chracteristics listed by minnow are necessarily true. My ATF worked in an LD factory and they didn't have any of the 4 features that Minnow lists, it was just a little place where just about everyone who went there went to get LDs, it's what the place featured, and they were pretty good.

The one common element that I've observed in LD factories is that many and maybe most cutomers expect the girls to get them off, the girls are more than willing to accomodate them and they don't expect any additional tip for it. It's why the guys are there and everyone knows it. Which may be the one feature that separates an LD factory from other types of strip club.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    Good topic 'minnow'. Although I've never heard the term "Lap Factory", I would put Deja Vu clubs on the top for those, as I have visited my share of them, east of the Mississippi.

Funny though..... since Diva's in Kokomo, IN is a strip club front for a bordello, could we label it "Fuck Factory"? or "Extras Factory"? Naw, let's just leave it "BORDELLO"! LOL
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    Well the clubs I went to I didn't think most guys expected the dancers to get them off. A little bit of bumping and grinding with clothes on doesn't do all that much for me. In fact it seems like most guys in strip clubs just sit and watch the dancers and have no intention of getting lap dances. I do enjoy lap dances but not that much. Maybe the term lap dance factory should be extras factory for such a place where a majority of guys expect to get off.
  • minnow
    17 years ago
    Thanks for the responses, fellas. It seems that there's no universal definition of "lap factory", and is used as a broad brush term, with key criteria being club size(cg), or peak crowded times(chandler).

On to FONDL(the supposed originator): For the last 10 yrs or so, availability of laps has been de rigeur at stripclubs. Thus, your example isn't refined or focussed. Stripclubs offer many leisure elements besides lapdances; Bar/drink experience(its cheaper in regular bars), interaction with hot, relatively young females(you can do that at regular bars without being pestered for lapdances, but again, what are the odds of a hot young female giving a middle aged plus stanger the time of day there). For many, the raison d'etre for going to stripclubs is the lapdance.(Where else, besides a brothel can you have a hot (young) female strip naked(or nearly so) and rub herself all over you(for a price)?? It can happen, but the certitude is greater at stripclubs

Given that lapdances are pretty much the norm(and produces large ammount of cash spent in a short period of time), there are shades/nuances of how different clubs go about it. Yes, FONDL, Mons Venus customers go there for the laps, but looking further, doesn't meet my criteria for a "dictionary " example for lap factory. True, there's an extensive lap dance area, but anyone can indulge in other aspects. There's a stage show going on with 6-8 dancers up at once, many more wandering around, so there is no "sensory depravation gaps". Granted, crowded times there aren't good for extended sit down conversation. By contrast, Deja Vu clubs have the same, often greater floor space, but only have/use ONE stage, with ONE dancer at a time up there. Their dancer/customer ratio is not as favorable as the Monz. Thus, the only alternative to sensory deprivation here is to get thyself a lapdance. Hence, a higher % of dancer time, customer time being devoted to lapdances, hence my nomination for being put in the dictionary under "lapdance factory".
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    Minnow: I really think you're making it a lot more complicated than it is. I've heard "lap dance factory" for as long as I've been discussing strip clubs online (12+ years), and I never gave it a second thought. FONDL didn't originate it any more than one person originated "robo-dancer" or "hot girl". The figurative use of "factory" to describe the source of a non-manufactured item is already in dictionaries. It can be applied to practically anything: "diploma factory", "baby factory" "quarterback factory". It just means a place where something is produced in volume and/or in an impersonal manner.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    Minnow, Mons may not be a good example, I haven't been there in many years so I don't remember it very well. It's just my impression that guys go there specifically for the good LDs, which you can't get in a lot of clubs. I used Mons as my example instead of other LD factories like Choo Choo's or Wagon Wheel because more people here are familiar with it. But my point is that I think the defining characteristic of an LD factory is that it's a place where the main attraction is the high contact LDs, that's why most customers go to the place. In most LD factories there's no pretense that you're there for any other reason, eg. to drink or talk or watch the stage show. Those things may exist but they're not the main attraction.

I also agree with Chandler that I probably didn't originate the term, it's impossible to pin down who originates a term like that. But I do think I may have been the first person to use it here. I don't recall seeing it before I began using it as one of my primary classifications of SCs in a thread several years ago where we tried to define the various types of clubs out there.
  • minnow
    17 years ago
    OK Chandler, USC & Notre Dame are QB factories, OSU is RB/OL factory, UMiami is LB/DB factory. So, which club(s) would you put "in the dictionary" as being a lapdance factory??
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    When I hear "lap dance factory", Mons Venus comes to mind. Probably because the sight of all those perimeter couches in use made a strong impression in my formative years.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    Chandler, that's actually one of the characteristics of the LD factories that I'm most familiar with - they generally don't have separate VIP or private rooms, LDs are often done right out in the open or in a nearby dark corner of the main club. They're usually small places with few amentities. Other than the most important one of course.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion