Intermittent outages on TUSCL

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
Has big tech gotten word that free speech is still allowed on this board, thus firing warning shots across Founder's proverbial bow?

7 comments

• shailynn
    4 years ago
    No, “Rech” the sole member of the TUSCL IT department just accidentally spilled some nacho cheese on the router this afternoon.
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    They happen from time to time. Well before whatever political social media bullshit erupted over people's upset about this or that.

Leaving the rest of it alone, isn't it interesting how in 2021 millions of ordinary people somehow think their minor thoughts and actions merit some unseen force to pay attention to their lives?

So I can be explicit about it, gammanu95's comment reminded me about this puzzling aspect of so many people thinking they're of outsized importance due to global reach. It's not a response to what he posted.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    It's not about any one individual on this or any site. It's about big tech cancelling any competitor and forcing people to come to them. Unlawful monopolies, pure and simple. Its also about literally policing thought and abridging constitutionally protected speech. Now that we can only use those sites which reciprocally sanction each other, we will lose access to all of them if they do not like what we post.

The very worst part of it is that the democratic party controlled government will, like every other Communist government in history, protect and expand these oligarchs since they are only abridging the freedoms of the opposition.
  • sinclair
    4 years ago
    Antitrust laws need to be enforced. Amazon, Apple, Google, and Facebook have gotten so big, they basically tell the government what to do and influence how people think. If Teddy Roosevelt were alive, he would have dropped the hammer on all of them. Standard Oil and Northern Securities were the equivalent of these companies over 100 years ago. Some of the older members probably remember the break-up of Bell Telephone. More options and competition is better for the consumer.
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    "Amazon, Apple, Google, and Facebook have gotten so big, they basically tell the government what to do and influence how people think."

A ton of companies do that, and have done that throughout the brief history of the United States. What's giving people pause is how quickly those companies rode the way of accelerated tech evolution and slow response of government policy to respond. "Slow" is code for commonly talented elected or appointed officials who look stupid when compared with industry elite.

And they're all using Microsoft's playbook of telling the US Gov to go stuff itself after the Gov threatened to AT&T them over Internet Explorer getting embedded in Windows and...whatever, you guys can go look it up for yourselves. Point is this shit isn't something a bunch of horndogs are going to solve in a titty bar forum.
  • shailynn
    4 years ago
    ^^^^ yeah but watch it, if these vaccines don’t get rolled out quick enough in a year you’ll only be able to dine out at Olive Garden, McDonalds and Chipotle, and you’ll only be able to buy your shit at Walmart or Amazon, and nobody wants that.
  • 48-Cowboy
    4 years ago
    How come when I log onto youtube, i keep seeing pictures of Joe Biden in handcuffs. The left doesnt seem to have absolute control. Eat more beans fellas!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion