tuscl

Florida Strong Part 2

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
It is not uncommon for Florida clubs to busy during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. A lot of people historically vacation in FL during that week, often to see family during the holidays while enjoying a break from frigid conditions.

However with COVID numbers and positivity rates jumping here I did not think it would be the same this year, but I was wrong. The clubs have been hopping this week here in J'ville. It has made OTC harder to secure since the money is so good ITC that the girls don't want to miss out on it. But you know what? I'm uncharacteristically OK with that. It's good to see the buzz of vitality in our local clubs, restaurants, bars and other entertainment venues.

About 2 weeks ago, Governor DeSantis once again reiterated that he was not going to put service industry workers out of work again. He did so at a press conference surrounding by restaurant owners, bartenders, servers, cooks and other folks who rely upon these jobs. They were uniformly grateful, a few even crying while they spoke, thanking him for allowing them to feed their children and make their house payments.

I have never been happier to be in FL than I am right now.

9 comments

• wallanon
    4 years ago
    Businesses that rely on foot traffic doing well anywhere these days is a good thing.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Draconian lock ups have worked well; just look at california.
  • Salty.Nutz
    4 years ago
    Governor DeSantis has positioned himself to run for president (REP) by the way he has handled FL during the pandemic. If not him REP can kiss my ass after blocking the $2K yesterday.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Florida and it's mostly service based economy would've got killed by some dem running the show let's be real.s
  • BBBC
    4 years ago
    You go Ricky! Yay Florida! 😉
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    We just had our biggest case jump yet - 16,652 in a single day with a 11.55% testing positivity rate. No wonder things started getting slower in the clubs as the week rolled on.

Yet here we stand tall, with no more talk of shutdowns or school closures. Our unemployment rate is now 6.4%, slightly below the national average and far below those in states that have decided to keep punishing their most vulnerable workers. our low risk children remain in school while those in some other states fall irreparably behind, especially low income kids.

I cannot accurately describe how happy I am to be in Florida.

• Mate27
    4 years ago
    Ricky, we all know confirmation bias is inherent to humans, but you are accentuating that characteristic almost to a fault.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "Ricky, we all know confirmation bias is inherent to humans, but you are accentuating that characteristic almost to a fault."

Meat you're misusing the term, which refers to selectively focusing on inputs that support your desired conclusions and ignoring those that do not. My view is quite expansive. I just don't overweight one input - COVID numbers - at the expense of a myriad of other important considerations.
  • SanchoRG
    4 years ago
    I'm in Tampa this week - will probably check out Mons's new setup. Should be able to get a LDK and have some of my Trump check left over
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion