All the businesses affected by COVID.

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
When we talk about businesses affected by COVID of course restaurants, bars, (and specifically here) strip clubs come up as being affected but man, there are so many more that you don’t even think about that are essentially dead.

One nobody thinks about I drove by the other day. It was a clothing store but they do the bulk of their business from tuxedo rentals. Who is renting a tuxedo in the past year? No proms, very few weddings, there were probably at least 3 charity balls in my small town every year, those were cancelled (I know most of those guests probably own their own tuxes but still...). Same goes for florists - they have to be getting battered. Flowers for weddings, proms, school dances, funerals are on a much smaller scale this year...

Car wash - I own 3 cars, in normal times as long as it’s not raining, at least 1 of those cars was run through the wash every week. So far this year I’ve probably ran all my cars combined through less than 10 times. Don’t need to wash a car if it’s just sitting in the garage! Also this spring in summer with nowhere to go on the weekends I would wash a lot myself. In normal times I simply didn’t have the time and took advantage of the convenience of running it through the wash.

What businesses have you seen struggle the everyone else has forgotten about?

15 comments

• shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I can tell you some that are not hurting. Home maintenance and improvements. Since people like me can't go out and spend money on the things we did prior to the pandemic, we are spending more on home improvements. Home Depot profits are up. It has taken me up to 4 weeks to get tile installed, counter tops replaced, tree removal and trimming, irrigation system installed and landscaping.

I have run out of things to do and still have money.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Catering companies
    Any group entertainment providers, like DJs, equipment rentals, party supplies, etc.
    Food trucks servicing corporate offices
    Outdoor food and merchandise vendors in tourist destinations
    Corporate supply companies
    Dry cleaners (people who aren't going to the office don't get their clothes dry cleaned)

Manufacturers and service providers for any goods normally sold to any company directly impacted. We often forget that when a business shuts down, there is an outward ripple hitting every business that provides good and services to it. When suppliers lose too many of their customers they shut down too.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    My drycleaner of 21 years just closed up shop. After going 40-45 times year, I haven't been since march. Gas stations and convenient stores are struggling. Small garages to since no one drives.
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    Theaters, museums, amusement parks and anything else that is tourism related along with hotels, airlines, cab and limo companies due to the reduction in both business and personal travel.

Clothing retailers have been extremely hard hit with people not buying new business attire and a reduction in back to school spending. Many of these stores were already on shaky ground before this year and won't survive.

Landlords who have had tenants that haven't paid rent in almost 9 months and counting.

Trade shows were all but eliminated this year and that has a ripple effect on the established vendors as well as new startups trying to get their products into the market.

Construction companies with a lack of corporations building, expanding or remodeling offices now that they have transitioned a large percentage of their staff to work from home.
  • magicrat
    4 years ago
    Live music venues.
  • crsm27
    4 years ago
    Think about non profit organizations that get funding by holding events.

These are anything from conservation things, booster clubs, social/fraternal clubs (Elks, Knights of Columbus, etc).

Any thing that gets its money from charitable gambling...ie: Pull Tabs. Since bars are not open.

• twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @whodey I'm not sure what part of the country you're in but down here in south east Florida, there is so much construction the contractors cannot get enough workers, all phases too, home builders, commercial contractors, road projects public works, It makes me almost sorry that I sold my business and retired, there is so much money being thrown at so mant projects it's insane.
  • shailynn
    4 years ago
    @whodey and @twentyfive...

I can see an argument both ways. Where I live, housing construction is INSANE because of the low interest rates. I do not see a lot of commercial construction but there's still some going on.

As for landlords, I've be shitting my pants right now if I owned rental property (commercial or residential). I live in a college town with (normally) 30,000 students here, and there's rumors they may not have them come back at all for the spring semester. Of course most students sign yearly leases, but I'm sure a lot of them saw the writing on the wall this past spring and didn't sign a lease and just stayed home, hurting student rental here locally.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @shailynn the amount of high and mid rise buildings goring up is increasing it looks more like the late 90s and 2005-8 than it does recessionary a good number of these projects are rentals many are luxury condos and a handful of senior assisted living type places, also I just read on Bloomberg and I think Jim Kramer picked it up was that this vaccine is going to be the largest stimulus that has ever been done to get the economy back open and running
    Me I’m bullish and I believe this market has a lot of running room left, we’ll find out soon enough I believe the worst will be over by March or April
    I’m hopeful at least
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    The Walmart’s and Targets did insanely well, as well as big box home stores, like Home Depot. But smaller and independent retailers were hammered in the spring because they had to close. Then they’ve had a tough holiday season with people avoiding in person shopping.

Businesses that cater to athletic events had a tough year. But businesses that cater to outdoor activities that aren’t competitive sports did well. For instance, the sporting goods store that sells hockey gear versus the sporting goods store that sells fishing gear.
  • SanchoRG
    4 years ago
    Yeah I shop at Walmart for food a ton, but occasionally I'll stop in an Albertsons/whatever the local equivalent is. I have no idea how they will stay in business. The price difference for food - same brands - is shocking. Stuff like $1 for those single-serve tuna pouch things vs $1.89 at Albertsons. As food prices keep going up, the difference is only going to increase IMO. Some stores like Publix, Trader Joes, Gelsons etc might do well. Maybe Food City type stores too, but Walmart is still a better deal.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Shai you said it best in another thread. It’s just going to turn into chain restaurant land. That’s it. Applebee’s and Targets all around. Mama Leon and Papa Gino on the other hand are royally fucked.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    Small retail storefronts have been dying for decades

On the other hand I hear plumbers and appliance techs can't keep up with demand with more people and kids at home
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    i am just eternally grateful that the 6-7 eateries i place deliveries from since march are still open.

• gammanu95
    4 years ago
    I've actually forgotten the last time we dined out or even ordered take-out. The few times we have considered it, we walked into the lobby of whatever restaurant to check things out. We observed servers, hostesses, and bussers without masks, and customers walking to and from other tables or bathrooms without masks. We just turned around and walked out. It's pretty sad when McDonald's and Burger King have better food safety standards than independent full-service restaurants.

As an independent business owner, I want to support other independent businesses; but if you cannot require your staff to take the basic, minimal, steps to protect me and my health, then I cannot support your business. The same goes for Rotary clubs, Chambers of Commerce, and other charitable endeavors.

I do not think anyone should be told by a bureaucrat whose income continues no matter what, that they have to close or reduce capacity; but I do think there should be basic hygiene and best practice requirements for business that want to be in operation.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion