tuscl

String him up. Guy tries to burn down strip club.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
BRIDGEPORT — The son of a former city mayor was in custody Monday after police said he allegedly tried to burn down a strip club.

Stephen Moran, the son of former Mayor Mary Moran, was a well-respected saxophone player, performing in the 1990s with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.

But life took a turn for the 54-year-old Moran, according to court records. In 2018 and 2019, he had numerous alcohol-fueled arrests.

On Friday, Moran, 54, of Lake Avenue, Trumbull, was charged with second-degree arson, reckless burning and first-degree reckless endangerment.

During Moran’s arraignment on Monday, Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Nicholas Bove urged Superior Court Judge Kevin Doyle to order Moran held on a high bond.

“This is a serious arson case,” Bove argued. He said the owners of the strip club are concerned that Moran might be a continuing danger to the building’s safety.

But Moran’s lawyer, Assistant Public Defender Caroline Gallucci, asked for leniency for Moran, contending that he needs to be home to care for his parents who are both ill with COVID-19.

Judge Doyle agreed the incident was serious and noted that Moran is awaiting sentencing in the same court for numerous other charges.

He ordered Moran held in lieu of $300,000 bond and continued the case to Dec. 17.

Police said earlier last week, Moran had been thrown out of Scruples Gentleman’s Club on North Avenue for allegedly creating a disturbance. That night, they said, he allegedly set fire to a bush outside the club which was quickly extinguished.

But on Friday night, after being barred entrance to the club, police said Moran came back — allegedly with a can of gasoline. He then allegedly splashed gasoline on the building and set it on fire.

Police said club employees were able to put out the fire and held Moran until police arrived.

5 comments

• nicespice
    4 years ago
    Lol! At least it was Connecticut and not Florida this time!
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    ^ Now watch for the next article to be about a Florida man.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    I still can't get over the pimp-employing extras-club owning mayor in Wisconsin.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    I will park my car on the street in Newark or Irvington (NJ), and relax inside a strip club and not worry about my vehicle. But, I’m not comfortable doing that in Bridgeport. There are some very sketchy areas in that city.

This dude is the son of a former mayor - and he has a public defender as his lawyer?
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Bridgeport is the scariest place in New England. Whenever I had a rental car I would consider P.M. but never in one of ours, even with the $5.00 fee to the guy on the sidewalk.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion