tuscl

Asking for a stripper friend. Seriously. No bull shit replies please.

Per ads I’ve seen on TV, Personal Injury attorneys take cases on a contingency basis. Will a good, competent PI attorney also provide an hour or two of consultation on a matter for a fixed fee?

7 comments

4 years ago
    Are you kidding. Attorneys will do anything for a buck. But expect them to charge 400 per hr plus at least.
    Rather you should go in with the thought that it’s a consult to see if there is a case and that first meeting is usually free.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Most attorneys will answer questions for their hourly rate, if they aren't too busy with money making cases.
  • CJKent (Banned)
    4 years ago
    In California most attorneys advertising says:

If we don’t win like this example:
    “100% Free Evaluation by an Injury Lawyer. Your Injuries May be Worth $1,000's. Speak to an Injury Lawyer, Free. Your Case Could be Worth $1,000's. Start Now. No Fees Until You Win. Spine and Neck Injury. Back Injuries.”

In any case it depends of the kind people involved, some are good and some are bad.
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    All depends on the topic.
    Your post identifies a personal injury case on contingency fee basis. If the topic is PI, you'll get the consult free with the attorney hoping to get the case if it's any good.
    If the topic is anything else (business, real estate, criminal, divorce, etc.) you're gonna pay the hourly rate, with any flat fee that might be agreed to likely to in the hourly rate range with a time limit.
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    ^Oops, didn't properly read OP's post saying it's a PI matter. As indicated, consult on a PI case will be free if the case is any good. If what you're instead looking for on the PI consult is to pick the attorney's brain re case value and strategy with you then seeking to settle it yourself so you don't have to pay the PI attorney's contingency fee, then likely a good PI attorney will charge hourly rate if accepts the appointment at all, and as indicated any flat fee (which would be unusual) being basically the hourly rate with a time limit.
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    4 years ago
    Thank you all for your info. I don’t want to post any specifics about the matter in a public forum, so I apologize for being vague.

Even though she would be associated with the plaintiff, her personal goal is more about maintaining the status quo than seeking a transfer of funds. I think an hour consult with an attorney will give her the guidance to make that happen, to the best possible extent, without creating bigger problems elsewhere.

I sounds like she should be able to find an PI attorney to briefly answer her questions even though she has no interest in pursuing a case. Thanks again for the inputs!
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Most PI attorneys are skilled enough to avoid giving people advice they can use on their own without hiring them. If its a small money case, they might answer it just to get them out of there. I do a family consult for $75.00. Full hourly rate turns off too many people in the economic class I represent, whether they can afford to retain you or not. $75.00 is also enough so that if they no show, after 20 minutes I made $75.00 and go back to real work.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion