tuscl

Master of Ceremonies in a strip club.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Thursday, October 1, 2020 2:15 PM
Ever heard of it? I have. It's been many years ago but at The Platinum Plus in Columbia SC on Fri & Sat nights they would have 2 guys playing the music, calling the dancers to stage and constantly talking to each other over the PA system. The club was noted for it's extremely loud music. I was told the owner wanted to create a party atmosphere. At 2PM on a week day? Anyhow the music was too loud all of the time and the DJ obnoxious as hell. 2 of them made it doubly bad.

14 comments

• doctorevil
    4 years ago
    I seem to recall that the original Cheetah in Atlanta did this. I can't remember exactly, but it used to be on 10th or 14th St. They would have acts around mid-might. I remember a fat guy that did magic tricks.
  • rl27
    4 years ago
    I recall seeing this in several clubs back in the early 90's.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Baby Dolls Dallas has/had an MC (on nigthshift and not sure it it was every night) - seems he has been there forever - I used to see him back in the 2000s and if I can remember correctly I saw him when I was at BDs in October 2018 - very few DJs/MCs are not self-absorbed pricks, but some are genuinely-funny/cool but they are the exception - the BDs MC was the typical douche-looking type but at least he was professional about it and only spoke when he needed to (a club announcement or announcing the next dancer on stage, etc) - I never interacted w/ him so can't say he's a douche for sure, just the impression I got.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I've also seen them in some black-clubs where they are referred to as the "hype man" - personally I found them annoying AF but then again I'm an older whiteguy - my impression is that often times black-club DJs/MCs think they are the-star-of-the-show (humble they are not 😁) - but can't say the black-club MCs are common and it's rare I run into one but then again I avoid party-clubs and usually avoid visiting most black clubs at night b/c it's often too much of a party atmosphere which is not what I'm looking for.
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    Haven't seen them as often lately but have seen them. The DJs at the clubs local to me have that role, and a few of them are decently entertaining.
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    Isn't the DJ in effect an MC at strip clubs? Their mcing depends on the club. But when I first started clubbing djs made it very interactive
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    In some black clubs I've been in where the DJ/MC is allowed to run the show, these guys will actually continuously stop the song halfway thru to get on the mic and do their little one-man-show monologues and they'll do this all freaking night long; it was more than annoying, it was frustrating that you couldn't get a decent dance; even many of the dancers would roll-their-eyes b/c it was fucking-up their $$$ - and then you have the frustrated-artist DJs that think it's a treat for the custies to hear him singing the song over-the-mic and drowning out the actual song - again, it's not a common thing but things I've experienced in my long and illustrious PL-career.
  • bubba267
    4 years ago
    HeyDoc, yes, I remember that. I think it was called the Cheetah 3. They also had amateur contests on occasion.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    One thing I like about Deja Vus is that their DJs are automated. Wish that was more of a thing. Or if a particular club typically has 15 girls or less on a particular shift, it would be nice to switch to a jukebox system/Spotify playlist. (The nice thing about small places in Oregon) Some DJs I like more than others. My favorite was one particular individual from Palazio back when I was in Austin. I’m not a fan of when they want to show too much “personality” to the audience. Well okay aside from the one time at my current club, when absolutely nobody was tipping dancers for several of the dancers’ stage sets, and the DJ said he was going to bring one of the bouncers to the stage and asked if that would would inspire them to tip. 🤪
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    LOL
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... One thing I like about Deja Vus is that their DJs are automated ..." Did you still have to tip it? 🤔 When I lived in Dallas in the 2000s I used to listen to an 80s/90s radio-station called Jack-FM that had an automated DJ and I preferred it to a live DJ especially since it had some funny canned one-liners (I think other cities may also have that Jack-FM station)
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    los ángeles has a jack fm station. think it’s 93.1
  • lotsoffun201
    4 years ago
    Long ago the Palomino in Las Vegas had one I believe
  • Nidan111
    4 years ago
    Sensations in Galena KS has a Master of Ceremony. I think it’s rather fun. Livens up the dead audience. He will get me girls as well.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion