tuscl

2020 election

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
I cast my vote today. I received my absentee ballot in the mail late yesterday, filled it out this morning and hand delivered it to my local elections office.

31 comments

• misterorange
    4 years ago
    Here in NJ, you can go to the Board of Elections website and register to track your ballot online. It will show you when it was received and verify that it was "accepted" meaning not rejected for missing a signature or improperly filled out, etc. It does not verify that your vote was cast as you intended, but since ballots are scanned and tabulated by computer, I suppose it should be accurate.
    Still, I don't have the same confidence as using a voting machine and actually pressing that button, but we don't have a choice here. Even the limited number of "in-person" polling places our asshole governor has allowed do not use voting machines. You fill out a "provisional" ballot on paper, and it gets stuffed into a "secure" bag for delivery to the County Board of Elections.
    Last week a sack of 1,666 primary election ballots from July were found laying around and had never been counted. Also approximately 35,000 mail-in ballots were rejected from the July election due to several factors such as received late or improperly filled out.
    Hudson County was by far the worst with 6,285 rejections, which was 7.2% of total ballots received. Of the 6,285 rejects, only 2,142 "cure letters" were sent out to inform the voters and give them a chance to correct their ballot. The result was that only 800 out of the 6,285 rejected votes were "cured" (corrected). 70 of the "cure letters" were received late by the affected voters, and were completely useless. Hudson County has a large population of Cuban-Americans who were refugees from the Castro regime, and their children and grandchildren, who are very reliable Republican voters.
    Of course, the primary election was mostly just a formality as the outcome was inevitable. A lot of people didn't even bother to vote. But if the sloppy handling of the limited number of Primary ballots is an indication of what the General election will look like, it's gonna be a disaster.
    People would be wise to follow shadowcat's example. Pay careful attention when filling out your ballot, send it in ASAP, then follow up to make sure it was received. Better yet, hand deliver it as shadow did, and then still follow up afterwards. I'm guessing most states have website tracking as I described above, or else you can call your County Board of Elections and they should be able to tell you that your ballot was received and properly accepted/processed.
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    It is a shame they can't devise a system so when you have voted all the robocalls and political commercials stop for that voter. Might encourage more people to vote.
    Also, since this is posted in the front room, any chance we can keep this about the voting process and not the usual partisan divide?
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Any chance people could post things in the right place?
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    He didn't make any political statement other than he did his civic duty by voting. Good for Shadowcat.
    I'll be voting during the Early period.
  • gSteph
    4 years ago
    I'll be voting by mail soon as I get my ballot. Oregon has voted by mail for decades, with no real problems, unless you count an uptick in participation.
  • BBBC
    4 years ago
    I voted for Pedro
  • Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    Totally ridiculous. The election is over a month away. Should not be allowed.
  • Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    Absentee voting is far different than sending ballots through the mail like frisbees to people who never eben asked for or requested them.

There is also the little issue called "ballot harvesting." Look it up. Biggest fraud ever.
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I forgot to mention this. I've never seen anything like it.

Twenty-one candidates are running in a special election for U.S. Senate in Georgia on November 3, 2020. Eight Democrats, six Republicans, five independents, one Green Party candidate, and one Libertarian are running. If no candidate receives a majority of the vote on November 3, a runoff between the top two vote-getters, regardless of party, will take place January 5, 2021.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    I'm gonna be voting in person. They always say it's an important election but this one especially so. I hope people can realize right and left that people and their families just want to be safe atleast. These super far left assholes really just want to destroy America. I don't like Trump either, he's not the leader we need right now, he just escalates all this nonsense with his big mouth instead of de-escalating BUT I will still be voting for him because I refuse to vote for terrorism. Plain in simple. Being against crime, NOT RELEASING MURDERERS, ACTUALLY ARRESTING CREEPS WHO MASTURBATE ON CHILDREN AND SENDING THEM TO JAIL, NOT RIGHT BACK ON THE STREET, (life in New York City now but keep voting democrat out there and it's coming to a theater near you) basic stuff, should be a non partisan issue but alas...
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    I plan on voting in person during hopefully a lull during the early voting period.
    I am looking forward to my mailbox being full of some of those ballots on frisbees Dave is talking about. Sounds like fun.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    I got my mail-in ballot yesterday. Not by choice, mind you... In New Jersey you don't have a choice. You are required to vote by mail. You know, because of Covid. You're safe to go grocery shopping, or protest in the streets, but not to vote.
    My wife didn't get a ballot and we went online... it said her voter status is "inactive." My good friend also didn't receive a ballot and he too is considered "inactive." They both have voted in every election, primary and general, for at least the last 10 years.
    They both called the Commissioner of Registration, as was instructed by the website, and were put on hold forever. My wife hung up after 45 minutes. I'm not sure if my friend ever got through. This is a total shit-show.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    On the other hand, I filled out my ballot and drove to the County Board of Elections office to deliver it in person. I had to go through a metal detector and put my keys, phone, wallet and belt in a dish... but other than that they were friendly and took my ballot after I showed ID and filled out more paperwork.
    There's online tracking that already shows my ballot as having been "received." Hopefully it will update showing that it has been "accepted." But there's no way for me to know that my vote was cast as I intended. Some minimum wage worker opens the envelope, sees how I voted, and then feeds it into the scanning machine. I'll never know whether she processed it or threw it in the garbage.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Yeah - that's BS - there should be a way for one to ne able to confirm there vote was counted
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    The last few months have proven the strong anti-America sentiment on the left that is also present in government as well as the media and corporate America - one can't trust them to do the right thing.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Well I live in the deepest blue part of New Jersey, so I have no reason to believe my vote for Trump will be counted.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "Texas Attorney General Announces Arrests In Fraudulent Mail-In Ballot Scheme In Democrat Primary"

"... Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced on Thursday that law enforcement officials had arrested four individuals for their alleged involvement in an illegal ballot harvesting scheme in the state’s 2018 Democrat primary election. One of the people who was arrested was the Democrat who won the primary race.

The four individuals—Charlie Burns, Dewayne Ward, Marlena Jackson and Jackson’s husband Shannon Brown, a Democrat who was serving as Gregg County’s Precinct 4 commissioner—collectively stand accused of 134 different felony charges of election fraud and ballot tampering,” ..."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/texas-att…
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    Sadly in NJ it’s a predetermined outcome.

A vote for a non-Democrat candidate is a throw away. I doubt even Abraham Lincoln could win this state!

I will bring my ballot to drop it in the box at my polling location. I’m thinking of a write in candidate - maybe Tracy Lords?
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Trump is today announcing a $500 Billion program to bring jobs to the African American community.

https://thenationalpulse.com/exclusive/e…
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Video surfaces of Biden calling troops stupid bastards.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/vide…
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    @Cashman
    I hear what you're saying, but don't be so quick to throw away your vote. Minnesota is now considered a "battleground state" and they haven't gone Republican since Nixon in '72. They were the one and only state that didn't vote for Reagan in '84. And now it's a close margin in the polls. Anything can happen in a fucked up year like 2020.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "John Legend: I Might Leave America If Trump Remains President. Uh-Huh. Legend Just Bought $17.5M Beverly Hills Mansion"

"... At some point, if that project [to destroy democracy] was to be in any way successful, you’d have to think about going somewhere that is a true democracy, that has respect for the rule of law and human rights. If America chooses to be that place then people will have to start thinking about going somewhere else. It is truly disturbing and concerning.” ..."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/john-lege…

I wish he would have mentioned where that utopia of "true democracy" is.

And yeah - America does suck - a country where one has the means and ability to purchase a $17-million mansion; what a fucked-up country - and he's black - you know if it wasn't for him being black and "being held back" that he would be able to afford at least twice the mansion.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "Sarah Palin Threatens To Primary Lisa Murkowski Over SCOTUS Vote: ‘I Can See 2022 From My House’"

"... Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin threatened to run a primary challenge against GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski for refusing to back a nominee to the Supreme Court before the 2020 election ..."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/sarah-pal…
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    @Papi
    As always, you use your deep insight to expose and unpack the hypocritical subtleties of stupid comments made by others. You should run for public office. Unfortunately the news media would never tolerate that level of common sense.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... @Papi
    As always, you use your deep insight to expose and unpack the hypocritical subtleties of stupid comments made by others ..."

I'm Papi Chulo - and I approve this message
    😝
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    ^^
    I was referring to the John Legend post. I think Palin defeating Murkowski would be a victory for Alaska and the USA. She's kinda ditzy, but at least not a fucking asshole RINO like Murkowski.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    I'm voting for the Green Party
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Haha... fucking great man.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    IceyLoco
    I can't even make decent ice cubes thanks to you.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Trump def looks like he's image conscious w.r.t. his rallies - he always has a beautiful set of multiple American flags behind him (of which Biden at times copies even though his party hates America) - he always plays upbeat music - and whenever he can he seems to purposely park Air Force 1 right behind where he's speaking (https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.c… )
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Trump also uses visual language. His words cause the recipient to conjure up images that reinforce the message. Sleepy Joe. The Wall.

Most politicians speak to impress. Trump speaks to persuade.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion