tuscl

Pat Downs

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
In a recent review posted by Book Guy, he mentioned a required "pat down" before entering a New Orleans club. And if memory serves, I recall a review last year of a rough Indianapolis club where patrons were patted down before entering. When clubbing, I don't much walk on the wild side--I'm there to have fun. I don't need to worry about getting shot. Although I'm from small-town Indiana, I've visited a number of clubs in Indy, Chicago, Detroit, and Tampa - (though none were inner-city clubs) - and I have never been patted down.

How common are pat downs and/or metal detectors? I haven't seen them in my experience.

13 comments

• jablake
    17 years ago
    I thought pat downs were standard. Metal detectors seem common, but I don't even notice anymore--it is like walking into a government building.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    Never been patted down. I only know of one club with a metal detector. But then I've only ever been to a few inner city clubs - most of my clubbing has been in the 'burbs and rural areas, where metal detectors and pat downs are rare.
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    I have never encountered a metal detector but I have been patted down at 3 clubs. Pleasers Playhouse in Atlanta, Club Blaze in Conley GA, and Pleasers in Columbia SC. Had one drink in all three places and then left to never return. Scary!
  • dennyspade
    17 years ago
    COWBOYS in Markham, IL was one of the places that patted everyone down upon entry. This club located in an industrial area with gang territories on its fringes, must have thought that the Blacks and Hispanics might be packing a weapon and there is one way in and one way out. Granted that there were two doors, this is a bar that was ripe for battle should heated words or glances be exchanged.

They served until 4 to 5 a.m. after other strip clubs closed and you can imagine the density of the crowds and the fact that it was a fully nude stage act and a well-stocked bar, it was a "thug-magnet." I use pat tense, since they are currently undergoing a renovation.
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    PT's Brooklyn (formerly Club Platinum), near East St. Louis, stations a stripper at the door to pat down each guy who enters. It's more of a friendly greeting than a serious weapon search.
  • Clubber
    17 years ago
    Never been patted down and never seen a detector.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    I guess it makes sense. Coco's has a problem with shootings and that is the club with both metal detectors and pat downs. Club Ice which was very nice except for the army of police swarming had aggressive pat downs even for the dancers. I asked the female guard who was built sorta like Rambo and who was giving the family jewels more than a few squeezes, the dancers? She says you don't know these girls if they need to they'll stick a knife in you or shoot you full o holes--whatever it takes they'll give. Also, they had the hand held metal detectors. BTW, that is the club the owner was gunned down at like 4 AM and supposedly he is not the only owner to get precious metal that they might rather of avoided. My buddy was trying to get that club for me. :) That would be like heaven even if it only lasted a year before I reaped the old precious metal. Anyway, the people running the show just don't believe my buddy or I are tough enough. Probably true, but I don't think tough is necessarily the answer. Yes, I've lost some marbles since I was young . . . there might still be enough to get the job done. I hate to say it, but the main problem is probably the law enforcement.

• DandyDan
    17 years ago
    I have only been patted down at Minx Showpalace in Des Moines, IA. I've never understood why they do it there, unless they want to keep the whitey thug-wannabe element out. It's not exactly in the ghetto, or whatever passes for the ghetto there. Then again, one of the other clubs in the area had a stabbing there once, so naturally they just might then.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    I also have been patted down. Once at Christie's Cabaret in Brunswick, OH and once at Centerfolds Club in Columbus, OH.

Two takes on these pat downs. Either they have had problems in the past with patrons carrying some type of weapons or just general security measures to insure the safety of the dancers, staff, and patrons.

Either way, they don't bother me, however I'd rather have a dancer or hostess to the 'pat downs' and be thorough about it! :-)~
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I think there's a club in Wellford that had a metal wand or detector. They were checking for cell phones and cameras. One time the nice looking girl at the front patted me down. I actually liked that. Usually there was a guy there.
  • lopaw
    17 years ago
    I've never been patted down or subjected to a metal detector either. In my case, I would have to insist on having one of the ladies do a patdown....hmmm - maybe it's not such a bad idea after all!
  • AbbieNormal
    17 years ago
    While not exactly stripclub related I'e been "randomly selected" for "exra security" EVERY time I've flown since 2001. My olive complection, medeteranian nose, beard, just a coincidence I'm sure.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    David120: I think I am the reviewer of the club in Indy that you mentioned. Silk N' Lace in Indy had a metal detector at the entrance to the club, and a hand wand was also used before being allowed entrance. That is the only club that I've been to, that used a metal detector. I've never been patted down at a club..err... other than by a dancer [grin].
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion