tuscl

Trump to quarentine NY. Holy shit

Lone_Wolf
Arizona
Only one reason Trump is considering a quarentine someone is showing him numbers that are scaring the shit out of him.

Gee...I wonder what will happen if Wall Street is shutdown.

23 comments

• NJBalla
    5 years ago
    We are witnessing political chess. Andrew Cuomo is showing himself as a 2024 frontrunner and GOP wants to put a muzzle on that
  • Lone_Wolf
    5 years ago
    If it shuts down the stock market, shits going to get real real fast.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    AFAIK the stock-market can run electronically and I don't think it will get shut down
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    If NY/NJ/CT keep getting new-cases unabated, then this may be a necessary thing to try and somehow arrest the non-stop increase
  • Bavarian
    5 years ago
    They need to lock it down like Wuhan. I bet there’s already a mad rush to get out of there. I would not welcome any relative from NY that wants to stay in my house that’s for sure.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    This is the week when the actions are tailored to the facts on the ground. Tough on New York and New Orleans. Business as usual in Boise and Fargo.
  • joker44
    5 years ago
    >This is the week when the actions are tailored to the facts on the ground.<

"President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he would not go forward with his plan to quarantine the states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

“On the recommendation of the White House CoronaVirus Task Force, and upon consultation with the Governor’s of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, I have asked the CDC to issue a strong Travel Advisory, to be administered by the Governors, in consultation with the Federal Government,” Trump announced on Twitter.

“A quarantine will not be necessary,” he declared.

“Full details will be released by CDC tonight. Thank you!” he added.

….Federal Government. A quarantine will not be necessary. Full details will be released by CDC tonight. Thank you!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 29, 2020"
  • Bavarian
    5 years ago
    Who would have thought that the land of the free and the top superpower would be so quickly infested with the virus
  • Salty.Nutz
    5 years ago
    Eventually, we are all going to get it, its the flu. We cant run from this. We dont have an end game, with slow the spread. We are treating this like a fire, but we can see fires. We can not see this virus.
  • joker44
    5 years ago
    "Who would have thought that the land of the free and the top superpower would be so quickly infested with the virus"

Who indeed????????????

https://www.businessinsider.com/people-w…

1. Bill Gates has been warning of a pandemic for years.
    Bill Gates
    In a 2015 TED talk, Gates said the world was "not ready for the next epidemic."

And in a 2018 discussion about epidemics hosted by the Massachusetts Medical Society and the New England Journal of Medicine, Gates said a pandemic could happen within the next decade.

2. Infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm has also been warning of a global pandemic for the past decade.
    According to CNN, Osterholm wrote in Foreign Affairs magazine in 2005 that, "This is a critical point in our history. Time is running out to prepare for the next pandemic. We must act now with decisiveness and purpose."

3. Virologist and flu expert Robert G. Webster predicted an upcoming flu pandemic in a book he published in December [2019].
    In "Flu Hunter: Unlocking the secrets of a virus," Webster questioned whether another deadly, disruptive pandemic is possible. "The answer is yes: it is not only possible, it is just a matter of time," he wrote.

4. The US Intelligence Team has warned about the possibility of a pandemic in recent years.

In 2018, the intelligence community's Worldwide Threat Assessment warned that a "novel strain of a virulent microbe that is easily transmissible between humans continues to be a major threat," according to CNN's Daniel Dale.

And the 2019 threat assessment from last January stated that, "We assess that the United States and the world will remain vulnerable to the next flu pandemic or large-scale outbreak of a contagious disease that could lead to massive rates of death and disability, severely affect the world economy, strain international resources, and increase calls on the United States for support."

5. Jeremy Konyndyk, former director of USAID's Office of US Foreign Disaster Assistance under the Obama administration, has said a virus similar to the 1918 flu pandemic will emerge.
    Jeremy Konyndyk
    Konyndyk wrote in a 2017 Politico article that "a major new global health crisis is a question of when, not if."

"At some point a highly fatal, highly contagious virus will emerge — like the 1918 'Spanish flu' pandemic, which infected one third of the world's population and killed between 50 and 100 million people," he wrote, adding that President Trump is unprepared for such a pandemic.

6. Dr. Luciana Borio of the former White House National Security Council (NSC) team responsible for pandemics has previously warned of a pandemic flu threat.

According to CNN's Dale, Borio, the council's director of medical and biodefense preparedness, said in 2018: "The threat of pandemic flu is the number one health security concern. Are we ready to respond? I fear the answer is no."

John Bolton, Trump's national security adviser at the time, later disbanded the team while reorganizing the NSC.

7. More than a decade ago, Massachusetts public health officials projected that millions could become ill from a novel respiratory disease.

In a 2006 Flu Pandemic Preparedness Plan, these public health officials projected that as many as 2 million people could become ill, according to local outlet 10Boston.

They predicted that up to 1 million people in the state would need to be treated on an outpatient basis and that 80,000 would need hospital treatment, based on models developed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

8. Coronavirus Is Coming—And Trump Isn’t Ready
    In order to combat the disease, the president will have to trust the kind of government experts he has disdained and dismissed.

JANUARY 30, 2020
    Ronald Klain
    Former White House Ebola response coordinator

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv…

9. America Is Acting Like a Failed State -Many businesses, local governments, and individuals are doing what is necessary to beat back the coronavirus—with little help from the White House.
    MARCH 14, 2020 Derek Thompson, Staff writer at The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv…

• Salty.Nutz
    5 years ago
    Its a novel virus, meaning its new. Thats why these "experts" warn but dont have the cure.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    That was interesting info, joker44.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    “Eventually, we are all going to get it, its the flu. We cant run from this. We dont have an end game, with slow the spread. “

Wrong and wrong.

Look at what happened on the Diamond Princess. Captive population in close quarters with the food preparers infected and 83% didn’t get the bug. Dr Birx said the only way it reaches 70% of the population is if there are several waves of infection over a period of years. Not. Gonna.Happen.

The end game is a vaccine. Several are ready for testing. It will take a year. In 12-18 months, we’ll all get shots and then that’s the end.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I don't like vaccines - I've only had one flu-shot in my life 20 years ago and I became sick as a dog - have known others having similar results - but w.r.t. Covid I don't really feel I have a choice
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    New York Knicks owner James Dolan has tested positive for Corona
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    ===> "President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he would not go forward with his plan to quarantine the states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut."

That's too bad. The Florida growth rate for new cases actually went down today vs. yesterday. It was still high, but the dip may be a sign of stabilization. The last thing we need is sick New Yorkers flocking here. It is suspected that they have been a big part of the problem for the SE counties to begin with.

But the good news is that Gov DeSantis is strongly enforcing the 14 day quarantine now and has moved to traffic stops and even more aggressive airport screenings. And wouldn't you know that they just caught a sick one today trying to sneak in through JAX. The fucker got on the plane in NY even though he knew he had it. They immediately took him away and also isolated the poor souls who had the misfortune of sitting on either side of him on the flight, though who knows how many others he infected on the plane.

It would be really nice if they locked down the NY borders for a while so that these people stop bringing more of it down here.
  • Salty.Nutz
    5 years ago
    Well, i dont think they will find a vaccine. If thats the plan then the government is going about it the wrong way. Everyone needs to wear a face mask in public, they need to build hospitals that specialize in COVID. if you test positive thats where you go. COVID patients go there instead of general hospitals, schools and hotels are vacant.
  • Salty.Nutz
    5 years ago
    And strippers should do the intial screening/intake diagnosis, at the COVID hospitals. some of them probably already had the virus and the antibodies
  • Salty.Nutz
    5 years ago
    We are going to be wearing mask (N95) in 3 to 4 weeks. i hate being right all the time.
  • Lone_Wolf
    5 years ago
    Fauci hinted at 100k to 200k dead before this starts to subside.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    They're also estimating April will be worse than March, and May worse than April - damn
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    I'm guessing how Fauci arrived at 100k to 200k deaths: If herd immunity kicks in when 50% or 60% of the population gets the disease and the case fatality rate is 0.1% that gives about 170K deaths.

Very grim, but an order-of-magnitude better than earlier estimates. The 0.1% case fatality comes from one of Fauci's articles in NEJM.
  • Lone_Wolf
    5 years ago
    They're rolling out a 5 minute Covid test. Seems like this would be a game changer. Want to fly? Test. Want to work? Test. Want to enter a city.......
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion