tuscl

Chloroquine?

Thursday, March 19, 2020 7:07 PM
Yet another interesting article about the coronavirus, and finally possibly a truly major breakthrough...
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/chloroquine-70…

I would bet that France is using this on as many of their patients as they can skipping any red tape, as their recovery rates (speed) are far higher than any other European nation at currently about 13% of their cases having already recovered despite having an increase of new cases by a larger number, so far around a 20% increase per day. Italy for instance seems to be finally slowing down a bit (percentages in the mid teens now), but only about 10% of their cases (around 4,000) have recovered despite having had over 4,000 confirmed cases for at least two weeks now, and over 45,000 now. France has had over 1,300 recoveries and it's only been about 10 days since they had that number of cases. Their current proportion of recoveries is getting pretty close to South Korea's (about 25% of cases have recovered, or about 2,000), which has had over 2,000 cases for three weeks now. Also Belgium has reportedly been using this along with France, China and South Korea, and they just had a one day spike in reported recoveries with almost ten percent of their cases having recovered despite having an increase of around 20% new cases each day.

This will be big news very soon, and already Trump is talking about this. Let's see if he and/or congress can move heaven and earth to get the drug approved without the usual FDA malarkey, although physicians seem to be prescribing it anyway.

It might be only a matter of days and not months before we can finally start SC mongering again...

20 comments

• wallanon
    4 years ago
    If the side effects of chloriquine are anything like the ones for mefloquine, skipping the "malarkey" might come back to bite them. But being psychotic is better than being dead, right?
  • theDirkDiggler
    4 years ago
    This article describes the study better:
    https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/french…
    It's being used right now and for decades, not just for malaria, but also rheumatoid arthritis and lupus and seems to be tolerated well. The biggest danger is overdose, especially in children (whom in the case of COVID-19 shouldn't be prescribed this anyway, as they're very likely to fully recover quickly regardless) , and that's why there's a much less toxic version in hydroxychloroquine. Also best results seem to be found when it is combined with the antibiotic azithromycin. Who knew that an antimalarial and an antibiotic would have any effect on a virus?
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The CDC has known about the effectiveness of chloroquine against various coronaviruses since 2005. Many countries have been using it to fight CoVid. So, why didn’t the CDC bring this forward or have supplies in place ? Fucking deep state.
  • theDirkDiggler
    4 years ago
    Well Bayer just donated 3 million chloroquine pills to the US. One pill from what i hear is probably a strong dose so that's probably 3 million doses which should cover up to several hundred thousand COVID-19 patients.
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    Sounds promising
  • elitecorey
    4 years ago
    My buddy is a specialty pharmacist who has a single bottle of chloroquine left. He was talking to a nurse practitioner at lunch about it, and she was telling him "Oh that would be good to have on hand for the staff!". A few hours later he receives a script from one of the doctors in the hospital for it (which is HIGHLY unusual). He rightfully declined the script, but what a bunch of selfish ass holes with the same "ME ME ME" mentality, I bet it's the same fuckers hoarding up on bread/tolietpaper.
  • theDirkDiggler
    4 years ago
    Favipiravir is another promising potential treatment available right now for Covid-19

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/m…

According to the article, this may be even more effective than chloroquine, as it turned patients negative in a median of 4 days, compared to 5 days for the hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin combination. Also this clinical trial involved 340 patients so about 10x as many as the French experiment. I only wish they stated what percentage of patients overall recovered which would have been helpful. Although the words "clearly effective" were used, which were words that Dr. Fauci refused to use when briefed today about the use of chloroquine along with Trump. It seems this particular virus isn't all that difficult to "kill" once you know how to do it safely. Apparently there really are numerous ways to skin a cat...
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Fauci said the promise of the drug was "anecdotal." Listen to Fauci and not the tinfoil-hat crowd spewing deep-state conspiracy theories.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    "a specialty pharmacist"
    elitecorey-good to have a friend that specializes in certain "specialties."
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    Bringing CNN to a MAGA fight...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020…
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Why is this a CNN fight? Fauci is a seasoned, experienced, scientist who has worked under both GOP and Democratic administrations? Trump is a serial bullshitter. I hope for the best but the drug needs to undergo extensive clinical trials.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Man- I'm smelling a nationwide lockdown a-coming
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    We can't lock down the country like this. Goldman predicted a 24% downturn in GDP 2nd quarter ( and that's not a typo).
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    We've been thru previous tough situations before - I just hope we keep-it-together and don't everyone freak-out like these people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6aLnPH…
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    "don't everyone freak out"
    --------
    You mean like taking drugs that are not FDA approved
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ cocaine is a hell of a drug
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    No @Papi a 24% decline in GDP would be 2.5x greater than anything we have experienced
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ don't worry - we'll make it up
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    RandomMember, you probably think this post is about you...lol
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    @Papi: "^ don't worry - we'll make it up"

Start your own discussion