tuscl

Chance Encounters

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
I traveled the world on business trips since before some of you mongers were born. All that world travel was not as glamorous as some people think. There was lots of jet lag, food poisoning in third world countries, lost luggage, exotic women, exotic rashes and dysentery. But there were also chance encounters with celebrities and political luminaries.

Benazir Bhutto - I flew on the same plane with her between Karachi and Islamabad. I didn’t even know she was on the plane with me until we deplaned in Islamabad. She was not yet Pakistan’s prime minister at the time.

Megawati Sukarnoputri - I was in the first class lounge with Mrs. Hornibastard #3 at the Jakarta airport when Megawati Sukarnoputri came in. They sat her in a part of the first class lounge that had been cordoned off for her. She was no longer president of Indonesia at the time.

Prince Charles - I was crossing Charing Cross Road in London’s West End when a limousine pulled up and Prince Chuck got out and waved to the small crowd before entering a theatre. He made me feel good about myself. He is so much uglier than I ever was.

Princess Anne - I had been jogging along London’s Victoria Embankment and was stopped by the curb at the intersection across from Big Ben waiting for the light to change. I saw Princess Anne sitting in the back seat of a car stopped in traffic barely 5 feet from where I was standing. She had this look on her face that suggested she thought I looked really smelly (which I surely was after a long jog on an uncharacteristically warm day in London).

Prince & Beyoncé - Prince and Destiny’s Child were both scheduled to perform at the coliseum across the street from the hotel in Tallahassee where I was staying on business. At the time, I had not yet heard of Prince or Destiny’s Child (or Beyoncé). But, whoever they were, I figured they were apparently very popular and they were evidently staying at the same hotel with me. Security was tight and extra security guards were constantly busy shooing out young fans who managed to get inside the hotel. The restaurant in the hotel where I was having lunch was empty except for three young women sitting together at a table near me. From time to time a scrawny, little guy who was clearly stoned would stumble through the restaurant, annoy the three young women who would immediately tell him to get lost. He would then stumble back out, bumping into my table along the way nearly knocking over my beverage. He did this repeatedly while I was eating. I was becoming very annoyed and was ready to punch out the goofy little fucker. I eventually figured out that the three young women were Destiny’s Child and the stoned little shit was Prince.

Peter Garrett - I sat across from Peter Garrett (lead singer for Midnight Oil) in the British Airways first class lounge at Heathrow Airport. He was quiet and spent the entire time with his face buried in the Financial Times.

Jason Robards - I was about to board a flight out of LAX when Jason Robards suddenly emerged from the jetway. I don’t know why he waited so long to deplane. I thought he looked like his robard was giving him a lot of pain. He probably was feeling mighty bad. He died of lung cancer a few months after I came nose to nose him at the entrance to the jetway.

Kirstie Alley - I was in the first class lounge at LAX trying to get some work done in the room where they had all the business cubicles. I remember it was very full of business travelers trying to get some work done. But there was this one bitch hollering at someone on her cell phone. She went on and on and was pissing off everyone else. Some people were already telling her to please shut the fuck up. She just ignored them. I stood up to see who was causing such a ruckus. There was Kirstie Alley pacing back and forth, screaming into her cell phone.

Ernest Borgnine - I crossed paths with Ernest Borgnine late one night on W. 44th Street near Times Square. He seemed to be afraid of me. I wondered why. I was a young man wearing a leather jacket. Perhaps he thought I was going to mug him.

Dustin Hoffman & Robin Williams - These two guys walked right past me and my wife as we sat on a bench one evening in London’s Hyde Park. I had not noticed them when Mrs. Hornibastard #2 suddenly exclaimed, “Look! It’s Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams!” I looked up as both of them strolled past us, staring at Mrs. Hornibastard #2. They had with this look on their faces that seemed to plead, “please be quiet. Don’t draw attention and leave us alone!” I asked Mrs. Hornibastard #2 to settle down and let them enjoy their quiet, anonymous stroll through the park.

Muriel Hemingway - I stood in line right behind Muriel Hemingway waiting to board a flight from San Francisco to Salt Lake City. On the flight I sat one row back and across the aisle from her. I stared at her ass throughout the the entire flight. When she got up to use the lavatory I resisted the temptation to get up and go sniff the seat she in which she had been sitting.

Lou Reed - While making my way through the international terminal at the Newark airport, I ran smack into the rock ‘n’ roll animal himself - Lou Reed. I was surprised at how small and how old he looked.

Hulk Hogan - We shared a flight from Dallas to a Tokyo. He was wearing the same weird, brightly colored spandex shit he wore in the ring. I decided not to tell him how tacky I thought his choice of travel attire was.

Arnold Palmer - My flight from San Francisco to Singapore was supposed to make a refueling stop in Hong Kong (that alone tells you how long ago this was). But Hong Kong was fogged in. We flew around waiting for the fog to clear until fuel ran low. We had to land in Taiwan. So many flights had been diverted from Hong Kong that we were forced to land at a military air base in Taiwan. No one was allowed to get off the plane. There was an older guy in first class with me who was drunk as a skunk, happily jaw-boning with anyone who approached him. He looked familiar to me but I couldn’t place him. He certainly seemed popular with everyone else. He eventually walked up to me and gave me an Arnold Palmer lapel pin. But for that, I would never have known who that drunk old fucker was.

18 comments

• san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I'm surprised, #3. I know people do this.

But for me, having had one marriage fail despite valiant efforts, I am done with marriage.

Couldn't go thru that again. And most of the time, 2nd marriages are far worse than firsts.

SJG
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    So far, each marriage has been better than the last. In a way, I take credit for the improvement.

Slowly but surely, I am growing up and being less of a shit head.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    "I am growing up and being less of a shit head"

Glad to hear that.

For me, the first marriage was such a disaster that I could never go into the same thing again.

SJG
  • DeclineToState
    5 years ago
    I won't bother folks with my minor brushes with fame other than this one due to the oddity - Dean Norris who played Hank on Breaking Bad walked into the bathroom at LAX and took a leak next to me where I was doing the same. Then he walked straight out without washing his hands, filthy bastard. And that means everyone in terminal who approached him and shook his hand afterward got Hank weiner residue on their palm
  • Corvus
    5 years ago

Ok, Kirstie Alley, when she was still slim and somewhat attractive? Or after she gained so much weight she was no longer pleasant to look at?

And Muriel Hemingway, from what I remember she did have a world class, fantastic ass. Good for you seeing it in real life.

I once sat behind Ted Turner and Jane Fonda once at a professional meeting he was speaking at. Hate Jane's politics but it was hard to disagree with the fact she was hot when she was dressed up or in makeup. On this morning she looked less than stellar and I'm sure there were many in the room who didn't recognize her. Thought about pinching her ass but decided I didn't need the fallout as I'm sure she would have been pissed!
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    I do not like Kirstie Alley, and its about a lot more than just looks.

SJG
  • loper
    5 years ago
    Isn't it Mariel Hemmingway? And you're saying that Arnold Palmer didn't just drink Arnold Palmers?
  • ATACdawg
    5 years ago
    I was on a flight from DCA (Reagan National) to Pittsburgh. Senator Bill Bradley, formerly a New York Knick and 6'10" tall, came aboard and took a seat in coach! I don't think that anyone on that flight would have begrudged the man a seat in first class, which was open. I thought that it said a lot about the man that he travelled coach.

My Dad was in a squadron with George H. W. Bush near the end of WW2. After the war, he was a classmate of John Delorean at Lawrence Institute of Technoligy.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    I’m impressed by your list and your memory. Let me try to ruffle through my memory bank. Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth, Pope John Paul ( well, I saw him in the Popemobile ), Billie Jean King, Andrea Jaeger, Kevin McHale, Mike Tyson, Chuck Foreman, Emmy Lou Harris, Ross Perot ( I was in his office but he wasn’t there ), Alan Page, Herb Kelleher ( founder of Southwest Airlines ), Brent Scowcroft (head of NSA), Diane Keaton, Bebe Neuwirth, Kevin Sorbo, Walter Mondale, Tom Bradley ( LA mayor), Johnnie Cochran ( the night before the OJ verdict ), Zaheer Abbas ( cricket legend )..........
    Probably the most enjoyable celebrity run in was getting tipsy on a cross country flight in first class with the recently fired head of the Hubble Telescope project.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    Oh, and Magic Johnson, Al Franken (at a Grateful Dead concert ), Hugh O’Brian ( actor ).
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    Plus, Tom Brokaw ( leaving 10 Downing ), Little Richard at LAX, Harmon Killebrew, Kurt Rambis ( riding his bike with his dog on a leash ).

The memories keep popping up. Probably a lot more in their somewhere.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Loper,

You’re correct.

The correct name is “Mariel” Hemingway.

And, by the way, although I have often said that “I don’t do freckles.” I’d happily make an exception in Mariel’s case!
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    I left off a few other luminaries that I met when I was not traveling or living abroad.

These included:

Ronald Reagan (while he was POTUS),

George W. Bush (while he was VPOTUS),

Lady Byrd Johnson,

Dan Rather,

Earl Campbell.
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    Me not to much. I saw Bill Murray at a Met game during a playoff series against his Cubs. Saw Kevin Smith going down to the subway with his oilers Jersey on.

Baseball wise met David Wright and Curtis Granderson and got to chat a bit with both.

That’s about it unless you include David Letterman related stuff. Saw people on the street going into his show like Steve Martin and Adam Sandler.
  • ATACdawg
    5 years ago
    Oooh! Almost forgot! Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro the day after the Reagan election landslide in the DCA private aviation terminal. Walter was still in campaign mode, smiling and shaking hands. Ferraro, on the other hand, just wanted to get out and be anywhere else. I was wirhin 4 feet of both of them.
  • rickthelion
    5 years ago
    All this discussion of famous apes but none of you have met those with real power in the world: the ricks!

Sad. Just Sad. ROAR!!!
  • loper
    5 years ago
    Waited at my barbershop in Harvard square for John Malkovich to finish his haircut. Topic of discussion: college basketball.
  • loper
    5 years ago
    That sarcastic sounding voice is real, not an act.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion