tuscl

Remember when ...

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:59 AM
... most of the strip clubs were located together in a seedy section of downtown? ... most of the strippers looked and acted like worn-out whores? ... you'd get thrown out for touching? ... the only gentlemen's clubs were places like Playboy Clubs or Gaslight Clubs that didn't have strippers? ... Playboy Bunny costumes were considered risque? ... some upscale restaurants had lunch-time fashion shows featuring models in lingerie? ... topless car washes were the rage? ... TV screens were round? (I know it's not related but I couldn't resist) ... a computer filled a room? (ditto) ... local fairs had kissing booths featuring attractive high-school girls selling kisses? (I'm really going back for that one but can you imagine that today?)

12 comments

• JC2003
    18 years ago
    Kissing booths is funny, because these days it seems like the thing most strippers won't do is kiss.
  • Jay7
    18 years ago
    Those round TV screens! If you were at a certain angle in bad light, you couldn't see a damn thing. Great post.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    CasualGuy, I agree that many downtowns have changed. In fact my very first item listed here is "remember when ... most of the strip clubs were located together in a seedy section of downtown?" There still are a lot of downtown clubs in many cities, but there are now a bunch in the 'burbs too. The more the merrier. But there's a difference. Many downtown clubs (and clubs near airports) cater to traveling businessmen, while the rest cater mostly to locals. So they can be quite different. The downtown clubs used to be small seedy places, now a lot of them are big glitzy GCs.
  • Joe from NJ
    18 years ago
    Remember when the closest thing to intimacy (other than a hooker) was the "10 cents a dance" ladies.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I suppose the laws changed the grouping of strip clubs. Most are spaced out a good distance now. You have to drive to each one.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I'm still not that far from clubs where all of this is still true. . most of the strip clubs were located together in a seedy section of downtown, ... you'd get thrown out for touching. Of course I also remember being able to go to nude clubs and there wasn't any problem with girls spreading not just their legs but their lips as well. I don't know why nude clubs in my area don't seem to allow that anymore. Maybe it's not the law but the dancers stopped doing that years ago.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    BG, I agree. I like a girl to look athletic but I don't care for an athletic dance, if that makes any sense. I'm referring to the girls who do gymnastics on stage or show off their flexibility by putting their feet behind thier head etc. Does nothing for me because it's not the least bit sexy. Speaking of risque dancing, remember when Elvis' gyrations were considered to be too explicit to be shown on the Ed Sullivan show (he was only shown from the waist up)? Remember when you drove for hours to see Bridget Bardot naked in "And God Created Woman"? And she was only shown from the back sunbathing naked while lying on her belly and it was still the sexiest thing you ever saw?
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    I kind of like a good dance act, if done well. But I don't like it when the girl gets the mistaken notion that her "act" is more important than her "sexiness" (if that makes any sense). Many many girls get carried away with some sort of stage sense or other -- fire batons, doing lots of splits, getting up the pole and doing silly but amazing things hanging by one toe -- when it does NOTHING to enhance their "feminine beauty." What I want to see, hear, experience, is a girl right on the edge of orgasm. That can be done with just about any "act," from total olde-style burlesque strip-tease, to plain bikini grinding. But so often, the "performance" eclipses the sexualityh instead of enhancing it.
  • lotsoffun201
    18 years ago
    Remember when most strippers wore special panty hose that had no seams or lines in them? It was considered risque for them to go bare legged. Remember when it was also considered an art form, and not just a means to an end?
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    ... the only chance most guys had to see a stripper was when the carnival came to town. ... and said lady made "dates" with some of the men for later, which may have been the origin of stripper "extras." ... and the only time you saw a really fat lady was at the same carnival. Let me propose some ground rules here: since this could easily drift way off topic, let me suggest that at least the first item in each post be stripper-related.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    FONDL, I probably should have clarified that the grouping of clubs has changed in the areas I'm familiar with. I can see from the google maps on this site that there are still alot of clubs close together in some cities.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    CasualGuy, that's not true everywhere. In Baltimore there are about 20 clubs within a block of each other. Tampa, Philly and DC also have several clubs close together downtown. Lots of cities used to have an area like Baltimore's, but clubs have moved into the 'burbs so customers don't have to go downtown anymore. Not sure which came first, the move to the 'burbs or the closing down of inner city SC districts, they seem to have happened about the same time. So it probably would have happened anyway without the legal pressures.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion