tuscl

OT: Death Of The Large American Sedan-- WTF !!??

minnow
Any place that interests me.
Monday, January 14, 2019 9:03 PM
First it was the Ford Taurus. When I learned of Ford's decision several months ago to cease production of all their car lineup, save for the Mustang and Fusion, and concentrate more on pickup trucks, SUV's and crossovers, I thought Ford was nuts. Surely GM, Chrysler, and foreign manufacturers would pick up the slack. But now I read where the Cadillac XTS, CT6, and Chevrolet Impala are being discontinued after the 2019 model year. WTF ??? OK, I get it that we're in the era of cheap gas now, However, SUV's /crossovers driven ~ 10K miles per year would burn 80 to 100 gallons of gas more per year than large sedans. Depending on your locale, that works out to $160 to $250 per year more fuel costs, more if one drives over 10K miles/year. I haven't priced insurance rates on SUV's, but I understand that they're a bit higher. IMO, SUV's are over hyped, but a lot of people fall for them, based on sales figures. I like my sedan trunk space without having to fold seats down (plus don't like hanging out baggage for all to see). I'm not fond of cramming baggage in a limited space in the back, ala a frigging hotel shuttle van. (Crossovers remind me too much of hotel shuttle van/minivan.) I can see some rationalization for owning a SUV if you live in the snow belt, are a soccer mom (or married to one), or you carry large dogs around often. As for point #1, yeah AWD is nice, but if roads aren't plowed enough that a FWD can't negotiate it, you probably shouldn't be out on the road anyway. As for point #3, I saw a guy take his Great Dane along for a ride in the front seat of his classic 60's Jaguar convertible ! Those Tusclers who drive SUV's or crossovers, please explain what you find so appealing about it. Car manufacturer rationale seems to be that people who have the $$ for a big sedan will end up splurging for a SUV. Um, no, not everyone. What I'll do is go over to a brand that still makes the kind of big sedan that I (and others) like. When gas prices spike, and tastes change, if production is resumed (both Ford Taurus and Chevrolet Impala had been discontinued in the past, and then rose again). Only this time, you (I'm talking at you GM, Ford) won't get the loyal customers back, because they've gone over to the likes of Toyota, Genesis (Hyundai), Nissan, etc who didn't just pull the plug on them. I left BMW and Mercedes out of the discussion because their price point eclipses that of discontinued (or soon to be) American brands. Your thoughts........

26 comments

• Jascoi
    5 years ago
    i’ve never considered a taurus a ‘large’ sedan. if i want to drive a ‘large’ sedan i have a 1968 impala parked in my garage. otherwise i drive my bad ass prius.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I've always liked sedans but SUVs seem to offer more - usually roomier - easier to get in and out of - one is sitting higher - etc
  • Johny5
    5 years ago
    Dont worry the chinese will keep the sedans going for the americans
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    My pickup or my Hapley is all I need! If I wish to go on a trip, I just rent a car and give it back for someone else to worry about.
  • blahblahblah23
    5 years ago
    Yeah I wanna get rid of this fucking sedan and get an SUV. These carmakers are onto something.
  • blahblahblah23
    5 years ago
    I am just not sure if I want a bigass douchebag vehicle or something cuter and smaller but still has many utilizations. hmmm. I am leaning towards giant douchebag suv honestly lmfao
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    I want to be a badass and ride a Hapley like Clubber.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    Makes sense to me. My last 5 vehicles have been 2 Ford Rangers and 3 Mustangs. On the days that I have picked up my youngest grand daughter from school, 3/4 of the other vehicles were SUVs. I won't miss em.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @Jackslash Hapleys for the hapless, we could start a new charitable organization ;)
  • s275ironman
    5 years ago
    Being a single guy, I can’t see myself driving anything other than a sedan. If I were married and had children, then something like an SUV would make sense.
  • steeldog65
    5 years ago
    My company vehicle is an F UV I hate it. I drive a lot, sedans are much more comfortable my last personal vehicle other than a Mustang convertible was a Taurus SHO which was effing amazing
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    jack, Don't ride like I do, if you like walking normally. :)
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    steel, I had 2 company Tauries (plural of Taurus?) and certainly they weren't SHOs, but they were the worst company vehicles I had over my 40 years. Not that they were so bad mechanically, but damn uncomfortable to drive!
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    Capitalism at its finest. If enough people buy them, they’ll make sedans. News flash: they don’t anymore.
  • whodey
    5 years ago
    I love my Challenger for daily driving, but I couldn't imagine having to go without my Grand Cherokee. There are many things that I do that the Challenger just isn't well suited for. It wouldn't do well pulling my boat and would look stupid with a roof rack for taking my kayak and bike when I go camping. I enjoy woodworking and the Jeep holds a lot more supplies. Also, living in a rural part of Ohio means I can't count on the roads being cleared of snow before I have to go to work so four wheel drive is a huge benefit. Sure my old Magnum was AWD, had a roof rack and held my wood working supplies but it couldn't tow the boat. Plus a good station wagon is even harder to find than a large sedan.
  • steeldog65
    5 years ago
    SHO is a different beast, nearly 400 horses twin Turbo all wheel drive. Thing was a tank flew down the highway and was comfortable to boot. Plus add the biggest trunk of any Sedan I've ever seen I could put 4 or 5 strippers in that thing without any problem.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Sedans haven't been practical for me in years. I tend to agree with what is posted above... supply and demand.
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    I used to have a Caddillac DTS.... thats where Daddillac came from. Now I have a Genesis and a Raptor, Im thinking of adding a Suburban to the list for trips
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I had a Cadillac CTS for years, in 2016 I traded it in for a Mercede E class sedan, I’m contemplating trading it in for an S Class coupe, I sold my Harley About two years ago, am still thinking about getting a new one, as far as trucks are concerned I own 6-2 full size pickups, 1 super cab, and 3 cargo vans which I use in my business but are available to me any time I need them. I use the sedan every day it is more comfortable and rides better than any suv I have ever owned and I’ve had a few. I prefer driving a full size car any time as most of my driving is over the road to job sites most withi a hundred mile radius of my office.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    i do have a suv hangin around. i’d be driving it a lot... butt that ‘73 suburban 4x4 does not get much better than 10mpg. thus the bad ass prius as my main driver.
  • NJBalla
    5 years ago
    The major reason sedans thrived was because of their better gas mileage. The industry is going to go electric far quicker than you can imagine. Think of the coming electric age similar to the rise of Amazon and Netflix. Car companies dont want to be the next Sears. I wouldnt be surprised if 90% of vehicles manufactured in 15 years are electric crossovers and SUVs.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    It's called evolving man - 1985 called, they want their Cutlass Supreme back
  • blahblahblah23
    5 years ago
    SHO is a different beast, nearly 400 horses twin Turbo all wheel drive. Thing was a tank flew down the highway and was comfortable to boot. Plus add the biggest trunk of any Sedan I've ever seen I could put 4 or 5 strippers in that thing without any problem. ^^^^^^ why are you concerned about how many strippers you can fit in the trunk of your car??????????????????????????
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ SJG is evolving from his RV and wants to be sure he has enough room ;)
  • steeldog65
    5 years ago
    Just a method of determing volume. ;)
  • JamesSD
    5 years ago
    I currently drive a compact and am looking for a bigger car. Honestly large sedans aren't much cheaper than small SUVs, nor are they much bigger inside than standard sedans.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion