tuscl

Trump Tariffs

mark94
Arizona
The tariffs, or threat of Tariffs, have lead to a renegotiation of NAFTA. It’s a much better deal for the USA. More jobs. More exports. The biggest loser is China, which was our goal from the git go.

46 comments

• crazyjoe
    6 years ago
    I farted in the apple store. There were no wi does either
  • crazyjoe
    6 years ago
    No windows either
  • gawker
    6 years ago
    My daughter is a VP at a company with over a billion $ in annual sales, with a large portion of the merchandise being made in China. They are scrambling to move manufacturing out of Chins, but the immediacy of the tariffs which will jump to 25%, may put the company under. There are over 10,000 employees. Two sides to every coin Mark94. And it may have been your goal but wasn’t OUR goal.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    From Peter Navarro:

The big picture here is that China has been stealing our intellectual property for years. When an American company goes to China, they force that American company to surrender its technology to a Chinese competitor.

That Chinese competitor winds up beating the American company, not just in the Chinese market, but around the world. And that's an unsustainable situation that President Trump has decided to crack down on.

We have a program to do that. It's not just that China cheats and steals our intellectual property. They're also coming with large bags full of money to basically buy up the crown jewels of American technology.

And the biggest picture here is China has this thing called China 2025. It's a policy manifesto which says that they want to take over all of the emerging industries of the future, artificial intelligence, robotics, quantum computing, these things.

And if we allow China doing this, particularly using unfair trade practices, we won't have a future.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    I notice that China just cut Iranian oil imports by 50%, harming Iran badly, which is awesome.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Just curious @Mark94 is there anything Trump has done that was wrong, or is he another guy that couldn’t get a hemariod , you know perfect asshole and all that. ;)
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    I have enough sense to leave international trade to the experts. One of the Nobel Prize winners is saying this morning that we have an insignificant change from NAFTA with a name change. What do you expect from a realty TV president?
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    NAFTA is now the USMC or something like that. Named after the Marines to show strength or something
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    According to both Bloomberg & Fox News there are minimal changes to the structure of the agreement, the only major change is in dispute resolution, and that was already undergoing revision.
    This is real Fake News.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    The main change in NAFTA is a different way of calculating local content. Mexico and Canada used to be able to import cheap components from China, assemble them, then export them to the US tariff free. This made a lot of money for the company but the jobs were mostly in China.

Now, components will need to be made in Mexico, Canada, or the US to qualify for favored treatment. This will result in good paying jobs both in the US and Mexico, which is why the new Pro-union president of Mexico went along with it. Trudeau, the green prime minister, was less enthused about expanding manufacturing in Canada.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    The USA has needed to try to alter the imbalances associated with many unequal trade deals for years.

In all honesty, China is a threat due to its protectionist trade practices.

Regardless of whether you love or hate Trump, the trade imbalances faced by the USA need reworking. These deficits have been continuing for many years, and it’s not possible to correct them in an instant. However, it’s imperative to begin the process now.

It appears that American corporations don’t care - as they care only about their costs of manufacturing and their p and l’s.

It will take years for the full effects of restructuring trade to be felt. In my view, Washington politicians don’t care where their funding comes from, as long as they get their funding. This is why we have such a mountain of long term debt held by the Chinese. Adding the theft of intellectual property, and mounting trade imbalances, all in the Chinese favor, is putting too much control in their hands.

It isn’t going to be a quick fix. But it needs to be done. It isn’t painless either. But neither were some past democratic efforts.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    The renegotiation of trade deals has some similarity to the labor union movement of the 1930s. It is a shift from a structure controlled by globalist corporations, and the politicians they own, to a structure that favors the worker.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Trump gets things done, unlike his predecessor.
  • WilliamTye
    6 years ago
    It's good news for the US. We've got to be willing to give the President credit when he does good for his country, if we want to be taken seriously when we criticize him.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ I’m willing to give him credit for a genuine accomplishment, these tarries have yet to play out, you aren’t realizing there’s tons of small businesses that don’t have the means to switch production, this is a gift to the companies that are large enough and have the capital to manipulate this to their advantage, Trumps buddies, not the small family owned firms that employ the majority of Americans, those companies are not on the stock exchanges, but there are going to be layoffs down the road, once the supplies in the pipelines are burnt through.
  • blahblahblah23
    6 years ago
    Another interesting discussion today. Wish I could bookmark shit just on this site thru account settings or something.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    ^You can copy/paste URLs and paste them into your profile page to retrieve later. SJG does this. On second thought ..... ;)
  • blahblahblah23
    6 years ago
    Hahahaha fuck
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Trumps doing great things for the oil companies Gasoline prices are just 8 cents below their all time highs, excellent job on the economy for the working man.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^5 years ago you need to get out more, maybe that’s why you’re such a sad sack
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    right now gas is about 3.70 to 4.10
    in so cal.
    i just hope the ‘Powers that be’ make beneficial decisions for the good of joe sixpac.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I took you off ignore because you think like a pussy, and do you really think your bullying can intimidate me, you’re a fucking moron, you don’t like me boo fucking hoo, I don’t like you either you are nothing a fucking zero and you’ll never be anything, now go fuck your troll bully self, I won’t waste any more time on you, as far as I’m concerned you’re internet noise.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    One more point that you never consider you are a lying selfish hypocritical pitof shit, you come on here and take a shit on every thread @founder should have banned you rather than suspended you
    Adios loser
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    California state gas taxes are the main reason that gas prices are so high. Joe Sixpack has been on the short end of the stick in California since the 1970s. The working class is abandoning California, leaving Silicon Valley tycoons and Hollywood elites to fund the welfare state. Not a sustainable economic model.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^Gas here in Florida near me is well over &3.00 a gal I noticed a few as high as $3.38 and one at $3.67 as I drove past on my way to work this AM
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Seems a lot of things are going up in price perhaps due to the current economy - I don't cook and eat out a lot and notice my meals getting pricier
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    It's $2.79 at my Kroger in a suburb of Atlanta. There is one Texico station that has been 50 cents a gal higher than all the rest for as long as I can remember. I don't know how they get any business.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    Pennsylvania’s gas tax rate is highest at 58.7 cents per gallon, followed by California (55.22 cpg) and Washington (49.4 cpg). The lowest gas tax rate is found in Alaska at 14.65 cents per gallon, followed by Missouri (17.35 cpg) and Mississippi (18.79).

Another reason for expensive gas in California is State requirements on refining standards, increasing the expense.

If gas price in California is $3.70, then maybe $.70 of that is State tax and environmental extremes ( beyond typical in other states ).
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^In other news today some Internet tough guy got spanked big time again today by me
    What a whiny crybaby you are
    BOO FUCKING HOO
    WAH WAH WAH

#Fact roflmaooooooooo
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^EPIC FAIL
    #FACT
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    EPIC FAIL
    ^#FACT
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Post the whole convo
    EPIC FAIL
    ^#FACT
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    BTW you keep proving my point over and over you shit on everybody’s threads even your fellow conservative you are the saddest sack, I’ve ever seen and I can keep this up as long as you like
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Fuck you’re delusional I posted a news item that was relevant,then you attacked me, I have never gone after anyone that hasn’t attacked me personally You even attacyme when I said that if you believe that VM was a pedo and I told you to take it to the authorities, founder said the same thing you are nothing but a bigoted bully, you should be ashamed of yourself. Hiding on the inteybehind a screen name attacking anyone that disagrees with you, attacking women like a ball less misanthrope, get some help you sick demented psycho, I pity you even more than SJG.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^Sure won’t change Your historical record of flaming anyone pushes back from your feeble attempt at bullying
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I love a good flame war (not a good flamer, that would be gay)
  • blahblahblah23
    6 years ago
    Isn't a lot of the gas price based on state or local gas taxes?
  • blahblahblah23
    6 years ago
    But yeah I think the oil workers are doing well right now seems like. The problem with oil money in my opinion is going to the most undesirable places to get it. Maybe with the exception of Colorado...
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    We are returning to a normal economic environment. Inflation 2-3%. Mortgage 6%. Stock return 8-10%. CDs 3%. Unemployment 4-5%. Savers and investors rewarded. Jobs for anyone willing. Career ladders and pay raises for the hard working.

Good riddance to Quantitative Easing.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    this weekend i bought ONE chili cheeze dog at tommys (rampart and beverly LA). cost almost 5 bucks. and next night a cheeze dog at 5guys oxnard. cost 7.50 bucks.
    krazy. maybe it’s the gas tax.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    those prices are double they were ten years ago. and my fukin teamster pension is exactly the same as it was ten years ago.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    There’s a reason that defined benefit pensions have largely been replaced by 401k plans. Portable, fully funded, and infinite upside investment potential. The S&P 500 is up 40% since November 2016 ( just to pick a random date
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    Speaking of gas prices, they have been dropping here in NE Ohio over at least the past 2 weeks. They always use any excuse they can to raise prices so I expected to see the price go up with the hurricane as an excuse but they have been falling. I bought gas @ 2.69 the day before the hurricane hit, bought it again yesterday @2.57 and today it's 2.53.
    My perspective is anything over 1.60 is too much but all things considered the 2.50-2.70 range is tolerable.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    It always amazes me how gasoline prices spike almost immediately after an event that might cause a shortage but as soon as supplies return to normal levels it takes months for the prices to come back down.
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    ^
    Same here, that's why I'm surprised that prices didn't jump this time. And yes prices shoot up in a matter of minutes but the decline is a long slow slough.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion