tuscl

Payment options on SA ?

math14
Southwest
I have been trying to renew profile on SA but can't seem to get them paid.

I can not find a prepaid credit card that allows international payments? At one time you could use a gift card, email them and they could process it anyway (but no more). PayPal is no longer current option.

Seems every card now is for domestic use only (to stem fraud and money laundering) and SA site hasn't figured out how to accept payments? (they want your credit card - only). I do trust them not to over charge, but I'm not going to give this my credit card.

Also now the only options are for one month with "auto renewing charges" for $89.95 or prepaying a three month option for $239.85 (but card must allow for international payments). I had thought a prepaid card for one month that didn't have enough money on it for them to auto renew would be the ticket (if I could find a international payment)

13 comments

• Subraman
    6 years ago
    Widespread reports that people have successfully used their US-only cards on SA. I think the Visa Vanilla re-fillable card is one that I specifically heard mentioned.
  • math14
    6 years ago
    Thanks,
    But Visa Vanilla is not acceptable for international payments. In the past SA would process them (off the site) but currently they won't.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    So you've tried it? I'm saying I've read reports in the past few days of that working. I believe you if you tried it; just saying that if you're making an assumption, might be worth checking

The other thing worth doing -- nearly any decent credit card these days has a mechanism to let you generate a one-time card number. That won't work if you're trying to stay anonymous; but if you're just trying to avoid SA having a card number that they can auto-renew or is susceptible to hackers, this won't be.
  • math14
    6 years ago
    I haven’t tried it in a few weeks. last time it didn’t work, PayPal was an option. But I will certainly try it again. I did set up a service ticket with SA
    Thanks for the perspective (to try again, always good advice)
  • justaguy79
    6 years ago
    I saw some discussion of this a few weeks ago, when it was time for me to renew. Figured I'd try it anyway (the cost of the prepaid cards is not much to risk). I got a prepaid visa from the supermarket and it worked just fine. I just registered the card to an apartment building I know the address of, and entered the numbers, no email, no service ticket. The card says "Valid only in US" right on the front, but it worked just fine. This was in late July.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    ^^^ That's exactly what I've been reading, including the "my card said 'valid only in US' and it stlil went through". I could be mis-remembering the specifics about Vanilla... perhaps try one of the no-name prepaids.
  • THE CHAINDOG
    6 years ago
    Becareful, they are suspending members but still charging the card monthly even though you can not use the service!
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    “Mis-remembering” ??? Don’t tell me you’re planning on running for San Diego city council now!?!?!?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ No @shailynn that would be "I have no recollection of" or "I cannot recall"
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. juicebox69.
  • day_trader
    6 years ago
    SA updated their help section a little while back. It says you can turn off the auto-renew option via the settings menu. I'm not a premium member right now so I can't say if this is accurate or not, maybe others who are can verify.
  • math14
    6 years ago
    Ok here’s the deal, yes a us only “gift” card does work but you have to register it before using it (complete with address and phone number) and info you enter on SA site has to match the card.
    It went through, later I checked the “settings” and there is no place to turn off the auto payment (just a place to delete account)
    Bottom line: If in doubt, ask TUSCL.
  • math14
    6 years ago
    Thanks justaguy79. !! PM held the inside skinny
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion