tuscl

OT: R.I.P. Charles Krauthammer

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Friday, June 22, 2018 7:59 PM
Had not been watching too much TV the last two days and did not know conservative commentator Charles Krauthammer passed-away yesterday 6/21/18 - he was 68 and per Wikipedia passed away from small-intestine cancer.

19 comments

• Huntsman
    6 years ago
    RIP Mr. Krauthammer. He was always a thoughtful commentator.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I didn't know he had graduated from Harvard Medical school w/ a degree in psychiatry - I think it was at Harvard where he became paralyzed from a pool accident (he was only 22). Per Wikipedia: "... His father was from Bolekhiv, Ukraine (then the Austro-Hungarian Empire)[14] and his mother from Belgium. His brother, Marcel, was four years older.[citation needed] The family spoke French in the home ..."
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Only on a board of mongers like this would you hear guys bragging about spending hundreds of bucks on lap dances and in the next breath bitching about a 10 buck hamburger SMH
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Sorry wrong thread
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    RIP. He provided analytical and reasonable commentary on many issues. I enjoyed his insight.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    One of the best in my time. An extraordinary life with his limitations. Just shows a mind can do just fine without the body for support. Just recently another of those great minds passed on, Stephen Hawking.
  • Corvus
    6 years ago
    I always enjoyed his commentary, even if I didn't always agree with it. He always seemed to have a different perspective than many others.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    I did not know much about him. I only occasionally read his articles, which were not my cup of tea. Only on his death did I learn he had been paralyzed as a young man. I am impressed on how much he accomplished in spite of his disability.
  • tumblingdice
    6 years ago
    I feel fortunate to have shared this time with Mr. Krauthammer. R.I.P. Dr. Charles Krauthammer.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    Charles Krauthammer was a good writer and an interesting person (although I sometimes didn't agree with him). I think if I had been stricken with the same injury that he suffered as a young man, I probably would have just given up, laid down and died. It's sad that he's gone. But having said that, I think it's a little excessive that Fox News basically devoted an entire afternoon of opinion coverage to his passing. Some people will say that it demonstrates respect for the dead; but to me it just seems like excessive self-regard. Liberal outlets have also marked his passing and praised him, perhaps in part because he was a conservative writer who was critical of Trump throughout the campaign. I would just point out that Trump publicly bashed Krauthammer a few years ago, and called him overrated (among other things that I can't remember at the moment). That part seems to be missing from Fox's coverage, although I have heard it mentioned on MSNBC
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    The Fox coverage mostly honored Krauthammer for his life, courage, and decency. It had little to do with his political views ( which were clearly anti-Trump ). He was a good friend to many on all sides of politics. He deserved a day of honor.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    @mark94, Sure, he deserves a day of honor by his family and friends. That's called a funeral. But Fox News is supposed to be a news outlet. Spending six hours to talk about Charles Krauthammer just seems a little self-referential to me. Still, it's their network and they can do whatever they want. (And as I said, I enjoyed his commentary through the years, even when I disagreed with him.) I wouldn't say that Krauthammer was exactly anti-Trump. He criticized Trump throughout the campaign, but then I believe he endorsed Trump as the lesser of two evils. After Trump won, he variously praised and criticized his administration, as he saw fit. For his part, Trump wasn't shy about how he felt about Krauthammer during the campaign either.
  • Tiredtraveler
    6 years ago
    The most memorable things about Mr. Krauthammer are his arguments were very well thought out and compelling without the emotional triggers built into almost all political editorials designed to sway without any facts or reason. He also treated everyone with respect and politely listened to their opinion. He was influenced by Ronald Reagan's policies and his ability to communicate his ideas without animus. Like President Reagan only uninformed and ignorant hated him.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    ^^^ Sure. But he also worked for Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale. And he was a cheerleader for the War in Iraq. Just based on these three things alone, I would say that Krauthammer himself was at times uninformed and ignorant. Interestingly, he opposed stem cell research on moral grounds, even when some thought it could have theoretically reversed his condition. This was actually how I first heard of him: when a college professor made me read an article that Krauthammer wrote criticizing this science. I supported it and he opposed it, and I guess I never "forgave" him for it. I didn't even know he was in a wheelchair at the time. Looking back on it, it was a brave moral stance that he took. I still don't agree with it though. Still, I think the good outweighs the bad in his life overall, and he'll be missed.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    BHF: He was a good guy who lead an exceptional life in the face of incredible adversity. His friends, who included everyone on Fox, wanted to say some nice things about him. That’s about as non-controversial as any situation can be in life. Yet, somehow, you find fault in this. What’s next ? A critical analysis of puppies and babies ?
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    6 years ago
    ^^^ Hey, maybe you're right. I thought I was being fair to Krauthammer and to Fox, but maybe I'm being too harsh. Like I said, the first time I was introduced to Krauthammer's writing, I strongly disagreed with him and it left a bad taste in my mouth at the time. But it's important to give people second chances. And more importantly, it's important to be able to disagree without being disagreeable - and that was a quality that he exemplified, actually.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Fox News is so hypocritical. They treat everything the guy said as if it was gospel, but they never took him to task for not standing for the national anthem.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    You’re a dick when your drinking Sam Adams ;)
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Too soon?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion