tuscl

Red Zebra in Matawan NJ?

Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:04 AM
Drove by the building of rt. 34 a couple of times. Red sign saying "Red Zebra gentlemens club". Still not open and it's been 6 months. Anybody have the skinny?

17 comments

• K
    6 years ago
    They has their liquor license renewed backnin september. If i recall correctly, old bridge put some conditions on that. My memory may be mistaken on this. They had to post some sort of bond, they have to have digital cameras monitoring the inside of the bar and the entire parking lot. They also had to pass some health code inspections. That is the last i heard. I have no idea if they ran into other issues or just havent gotten that stuff resolved
  • stripperTipper65
    6 years ago
    Looks like its open now, anybody go yet?
  • NJBalla
    6 years ago
    Lol I see the sign for this place from time to time but have never felt the need to take one for the team. They have a facebook page, but the decor and lack of buzz screams newbie and bachelorette bar. To make a food analogy this is like going to the pizza restaurant that hasn't figured out how to make a proper cheese slice and has to do things like offer gimmicks like "baked ziti pizza, buffalo cheese pizza, or cheeseburger pizza". No thanks! [view link]
  • K
    6 years ago
    I thought i had reviewed this place. Maybe it didnt make it through the approvals. It was lame. They spent a fortune fixing it up but they should have spent the minimum to get it to code and used the rest to hire hot dancers. I will redo my review and get it posted soon.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    There are some Google reviews - did not read any but Google SC reviews are often not that good and often done by SC amateurs: [view link],,,
  • NJBalla
    6 years ago
    ^Good intel, I guess the only hook for a place like this is to understand what a brand new strip club smells like. Just too many great gurantees up north. I have learned of a new category reading the reviews that fits this kind of club to a T. The strip club you take your girlfriend to. This is the type of place you bring your nagging wife who wants to share in the strip club experience. You quietly hope she has a bad time and never asks to join you again.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I didn't notice the club on TUSCL so I put in a request for it to be added to TUSCL (like a good PL-scout)
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I’ll pass on this one. It sounds a bit cleaner than the type of club I prefer to enjoy. As NJBalla said - there are enough guaranteed extras up north. No need to deal with Parkway traffic and shore traffic - to see bikini dancers.
  • K
    6 years ago
    Papi's note got my memory going. I wrote my review in notepad and still have it. I submitted the request to add the venue and never followed up. In my two visits, i found it to be a complete waste of time. Poor service. The tap lines need to be cleaned. The manager spent more time worrying about the bar chairs being lined up that getting a dancer on stage. The dancers were mediocre. Id be happy to pick on up as a civilian but not what i want in a dancer. There were long gaps between the dancers on stage. I will give them another try in a month or two. I dont expect an improvement. The area is saturated with clubs. The den, club 35, club 516, ggr, fantasies, delilahs hazlet, sinsations and bourbon street are all less than 15 minutes away. They try to differentiate themselves by being classy or upscale . Sinsations tried that. They went out of business and only just reopened.
  • Loking
    6 years ago
    I wanted to post a review of Red Zebra, so I tried adding a listing every day for past week. For some reason, tuscl just won't let me add Red Zebra. They need more editors or tech support.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Only one person runs this site; and he seemingly does it part-time - so things take a while - adding the club more than once doesn't help - it often takes a couple of weeks for a club to be added to the list once it's submitted - hopefully you have the review saved so you can post-it once the club is added.
  • NJBalla
    6 years ago
    Funny I was driving on the NJ Turnpike and they have a huge billboard for this club and about 1 minute away is a huge billboard for another club called the 35 Club. I wish the owners of these places would invest more in getting the kinds of girls that can attract regulars and less time on advertising.
  • Loking
    6 years ago
    Hey Papi, I think the owner has a couple of helpers because sometimes my review is rejected by 3 editors because they say it’s too short. regarding the billboards, it’s a chicken and egg situation. What makes a new club good? If you as a club owner want to get good dancers then you need customers. To get customers you need advertising. The club only had two girls I liked but they both are planning to leave because not enough customers.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    The "review editors" are fellow TUSCLers that have TUSCL VIP and thus get to vote on which reviews get published - any TUSCLer w/ TUSCL VIP has access to the daily list of unpublished reviews and gets to vote - when a review gets 3 yes votes, it gets published, 3 no votes gets rejected (whichever happens first). This came about just a couple of months ago as a result of many TUSCLers complaining that super crappy reviews were getting consistently published b/c Founder (who owns/runs the site) did not review the reviews.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ i.e. if you get a review published and thus get TUSCL VIP, then you too are a "review editor", if you choose to be
  • K
    6 years ago
    They must have spent a million on fixing this place up. If they spent 50K to get it to code and spent another 50K on paying dancers, they would have not two good dancers but a dozen or more and the place would be standing room only. Then they could stop paying the dancers
  • NJBalla
    6 years ago
    @loking My experience negates this. Clancys in my opinion is the best club in NJ. They do no advertising and if you didnt know any better you would drive past it. Thier recipe for success is simple. They treat thier dancers well which limits turnover and they dont invest too much in marketing. Id say the club clientele there is 60% regulars and 40% casual clubbers. There are clubs and businesses like red zebra all over america. The owner has no idea about the market and figures flash and gimmicks will be a winner. They jump into the business guns blazing but dont have the passion and insight to make thier business a success. I am just check out thier website. It looks like they had a good idea when creating it but didnt have the follow through to make it work. [view link]
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion