tuscl

Top speed you ever drove

gothamyte
from that Adam Westsiiiide of Gotham
Monday, March 5, 2018 1:19 PM
Damn. You can joyride speed nowadays due to speed cameras and coppers Top speed I ever drive was 100 mph on the freeway at night just to experience it for a quick 30 seconds. Lucky no copper saw me

65 comments

• shadowcat
    6 years ago
    120 a couple of times on I-20 between Atlanta and Augusta GA. Today I briefly hit 85 on I-285 coming home from Follies about 3:20PM. I didn't want to get run over.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I’ve never had a car that was fun to open up and test the top speed - so my numbers suck. I had my old sedan running at about 95 for a nice clip once in upstate NY. I keep thinking that my next car will reflect a mid life crisis - but I keep getting practical cars.
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    Drunk or sober?
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    You dared a drunk to beat 144mph? Some friend you are.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    About thirtyfive or fourth years ago, I hit 130 in a corvette on the Jones Beach Causeway on LI in N Y scared the shit out of myself the lane markers become a solid line. Passed a NYS trooper taking a nap in his car, this was in the middle of the winter, a lot of us used to go on high speed runs back in those days at the beach in the winter and we used to drag race on the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway the unopened section north of Hempstead Tpke. I now drive a Benz with twin turbos never opened it up fastest I had this one was about 95.
  • minnow
    6 years ago
    150 in a Vette 10 or so years ago on a long I70 stretch.
  • azrookie
    6 years ago
    Just under 150 mph. Bought a BMW 5 Series for pick up in Munich. Drove it around Germany for the week and then had it shipped back to the US. In the US, top speed was 100 -105 mph in an AMG E 63.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    140 in a turbo eclipse 20 or so years ago on a long stretch of I71.
  • PeterEaster
    6 years ago
    @azrookie - 120 mph in a rented S class Mercedes on a German autobahn near Munich. Ride was smooth as silk. Keep getting passed by BWM’s, tho. Maybe one was you, lol
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    I was driving my pickup pushing 100 while taking a friend to the ER. It was on a hunting trip and he was having an apparent heart attack. Fortunately several decades have passed and I was just chatting with him last week.
  • 79terrier
    6 years ago
    I hit 93 in a 45 before the cop pulled me over... Have done over 100 a few times.
  • azrookie
    6 years ago
    ^^^ @petereaster: probably not. I didn't keep it @ 150 mph for too long. Shit happens much too fast at that speed for me. What was crazy that week is the number of VWs who would blow right past me when I was doing 110 mph.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    On a highway in a street legal car - I had a 350Z Nissan. Got it up to 130. I was in total control and I could tell the car could do more. I ran out of highway. On the race track - I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience. Boy, was that fun. Tip speed was 140, but i would like to do that again. I think I can go faster.
  • IHearVoices
    6 years ago
    Went 140 in a Millenia once on the (Florida) Turnpike. I was late getting to a friend's house and figured that was as good a reason as any to see what the car could do.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    I used to be in the car business so I’ve had several cars over 150 that are meant to achieve that speed. Probably the scariest was a high end SUV with over 500hp that was supposed to max out at 154mph before the governor kicked in. I got it up to around 145 and said “that’s enough” I think the all weather tires weren’t up for the task and I sure as hell didn’t want to find out. It’s funny - I travel a lot on the interstate and some parts of the country I fly (20 over he speed limit) and other parts I set my cruise to 2 MPH over the limit and some area are so Back I actually set it to 2 or 3 miles UNDER the limit just to be extra safe.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    They say that speedo's are not accurate when driving real fast, as there is wheel slippage. But by speedo I took a car up to 100mph once on highway 280 at night. Don't want to under estimate the potential dangers of such speeds. But the car seemed to handle well, and when I got to 100mph it was still accelerating and had RPM left. Stayed at 100mph a bit, then let it come back down. After doing that though, hard to keep it at legal speeds. SJG
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^The digital speedos are accurate an any speed and the Corvette I owned back then was supposedly capable of 180.
  • lotsoffun201
    6 years ago
    About 165 in a ZR-1 Corvette. The front end started getting light at that speed. About 145 on a crotch rocket motorcycle. Very quickly I figured out there were smarter things I could be doing.
  • vincemichaels
    6 years ago
    143 mph in both of my Vettes. I'm allowed to test drive new Vettes every so often, one of my buddies sells cars at the dealership where I bought my Vettes, but I keep it safe.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @lofun I’ve ridden bikes for years fastest I’ve ever done on a motorcycle was 110 on an old flathead that had a lot of work done to it that is a fun thing but I’m just too old to do that again now I rarely ride the folks on the rod nowadays scare the shit out of me.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Digital does not solve the accuracy problem. Its because of wheel slippage, so you will notice that when they want an accurate test they tow a measuring wheel. Not a driving wheel, not load bearing. Today they use radar, but never a speedo on the vehicles load bearing or driving wheels. SJG
  • PeterEaster
    6 years ago
    @azrookie - I drive a Mercedes SUV, but it was made in the USA (Alabama, I think, lol), so I understand it's top speed is electronically limited at 130mph. I've never driven it anywhere near that fast, just nice to know I could if I ever "needed" to ;)
  • ButterMan
    6 years ago
    About 120 in a 75 chevelle...my first car
  • crotchrocket
    6 years ago
    135 on a modern Triumph triple.
  • DeclineToState
    6 years ago
    100 multiple times in Montana Pegged it at 120 in my mom's Buick Electra 225 when in high school back when those speedometers pegged at 120mph, the later models pegged at 85mph. On northbound Highway 5 is south Orange County, CA, there's a checkpoint right past Camp Pendleton. From that checkpoint, there's not a freeway exit for 1.5 miles and if there was no cop behind you at the checkpoint you could open it up that whole way with no fear of speeding ticket. Damn that was fun.
  • ATACdawg
    6 years ago
    120 in my 5.7 liter Hemi Charger, with lots left. The computer will cut the fuel supply at 130, probably because the rated speed for the tires is 130. I think that with the speed limitation removed from the program and tires that were up to it, mid 150s would be possible.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    my prius can hit 95.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ That's good to know. Today I don't drive fast at all. SJG
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    What is the top speed on a Huffy?
  • bubba267
    6 years ago
    140 on bike, 120 or so car.
  • joatmon
    6 years ago
    200 kph (about 125) on the autobahn in Germany. Pinned the speedometer.
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    185 in a Z06 Vette.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    Around 137. A governor or something was kicking in around 130 or 135. Momentum got me faster. That was a long time ago. I did not want to modify the car.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    105 -110 in a Buick LeSabre the entire length of the New Jersey Turnpike
  • rh48hr
    6 years ago
    Somewhere between 90-95 driving through New Mexico. I honestly don't have a need to drive fast.
  • AnonymousJim
    6 years ago
    I drive cheap cars and save my money for clubs. There was one time I had to get to a place 100 miles away in 90 minutes. Usually a two-hour drive. Made it, but went as fast as 105 at one point. I expected my car to fall apart like the Bluesmobile when I got there.
  • Daddillac
    6 years ago
    In 2002 I bought the daddillac, a 2002 DTS. I was at a conference in Orlando and decided to hit mons up one night. One the way back to Orlando I set cruise control at 110 just to see if it would set over 100. It worked....
  • TheFword
    6 years ago
    I had my ATF up to 68 1/2 then at 69 she blew a rod.
  • hotdog0007
    6 years ago
    160 in a Studebaker Avanti in 1962 on I-75 between Dayton and Cincinnati. Scared the s#*t out of me
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    A certified 151 in one of Kevin Harvick's old "29' CARS.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    About 100 (170 k/hr) on the Autobahn in a rented Fiat POS. Thought the doors were going to fall off.
  • warhawks
    6 years ago
    130 in an IROC years ago. That was top end for it. Wouldn’t go any faster. 160 on a Honda CBR.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    Clubber - What race track were you at ? I did my race at the Nashville Superspeedway. 1.25 mile track which meant I was turning almost all the time. But what a rush !
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @flagooner really on the New Jersey Turnpike. That’s remarkable, that is one of the highest enforcement roads in the northeast.
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    200+ mph a few times in my race cars. And fuck you jackie. :)
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    @twentyfive - stop trying to bully flagooner
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^Im only patronizing him ;)
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Have never driven over 100 (90 or 95 a couple of times). Rode shotgun in a Mitsubishi 3000GT, we either got up to 120 or 130, can't remember exactly - also rode shotgun in a Turbo 300ZX and got up to 110 or 120, also can't remember exactly (both were back in the early 90s)
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    15, Homestead. I've driven on that track 4 times, I think it is now. Once in my own car. Had to follow someone and they didn't go over 130 KPH.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    160 in a Cuda in 1978 - as a passenger - 133 in my wrx in a road rage incident sunday
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    “133 in my wrx in a road rage incident sunday” Good going. Keep it up.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Top speed on a Huffy? Well going down hill I've passed cars, presumably going at the 55mph limit. But that was with lots of recent long distance riding and racing experience. And it was on a road race bike with caliber brakes on both wheels. Tubular tires, the old sew ups too. They handle better. On a coaster brake bike you do need to be careful on long steep downhills. Just one wheel, and the heating and high rotation rate will expel all of its grease. You need to be careful. With hand brakes I would usually regulate speed with the rear brake and with body profile, saving the front brake for any urgent needs. Mark mentioned FIAT. I used to have a 128, with a 1.3 L engine and a two barrel progressive carb. I used to drive at 90mph for long distances regularly. That engine was very short stroke, 2.75 inches. So at 90mph it was turning 6000 rpm. The car was great! My only objection was that top gear was not high enough. Otherwise fine. SJG
  • joc13
    6 years ago
    120 on I-24 between Nashville and Ft. Campbell, KY in a Pontiac Sunbird GT convertible (top up) Used to hit 100+ in my Q45 all the time on I-75 between Atlanta and Chattanooga. That car had a terrible 0-60 cause it was so damn heavy, but it's 60-100 performance was quite impressive.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    The time I was riding shotgun in the Turbo 300ZX and we were doing 110 to 120; we actually passed a state-trooper that was on the side of the freeway parked at 90-degrees to the road - looked like he had his head down looking at some paperwork and didn't notice us fly by.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    I went from flaccid to LDK in 2 minutes, how fast would that be? NOTE - SJG did bring up a good point about speedos. If you change the tire size from the factory size on your car the faster you go the bigger the discrepancy on what your car is actually going and what your speedo says. Example, one of my cars came with 21” tires but I changed them down to 20”. When my speedo says I’m going 65MPH I’m really traveling around 62MPH.
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    120 in a Supra but several times @ 105-110 in various other cars.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    Factory tires on the car I drove were rated at sustained safe speed of 140. Overkill.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    "... one of my cars came with 21” tires but I changed them down to 20” ..." Why did you go smaller - seems most people that change rim size they usually go bigger - and supposedly one can go faster w/ bigger tires
  • rogertex
    6 years ago
    175kmph. Countryside road from Lousanne to Paris with no traffic. Felt good. Never topped 100 mph on US roads not even on my bike.
  • rl27
    6 years ago
    If I recall it was around 110 back in 90's on i80 somewhere between Salt Lake City and Reno.
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    The fastest I ever went was southbound on I-310, outside Kenner, LA. Another car was driving like a dick, so I passed him. When he tried to pass me I floored my Jeep Liberty Limited and was beating his performance sedan up to about 125, when the governor kicked in and I almost got whiplash from the sudden slowdown. He never slowed down. I saw him pulled over by the LA state police about a mile up.
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    This thread does remind me of a time when my college roommate and I were driving home from college on I-55 in his corvette yellow 1995 Mustang Cobra convertible (his mother was a senior paralegal at an elite Chicago law firm). We passed some big tank-like Mercedes. I don't know the model, but it had a bronze colored body with gold accents where chrome would normally be. This thing was huge and as aerodynamic as a brick. We were going about 85 when we passed it. Suddenly, in the mirrors, we see this thing catching up to us. On the right shoulder. In the dirt. My roommate accelerated like a maniac, shifting up through the gears. This Mercedes passed us while driving on the right dirt shoulder like it was nothing, gliding as smooth as an ATF's ass, and kept going on the shoulder until he was out of sight. I don't think we spoke two words for the rest of the 3.5-hour drive home.
  • vincemichaels
    6 years ago
    Today, later this afternoon, I'll be taking a Z06 out for a run, I won't be hitting top end, it gets to be a wee bit of an experience above 150 mph. :)
  • Uprightcitizen
    6 years ago
    In Vegas I drove a Ferrari 435, Lambo, Audi R8 and a Jaguar XJ all over 110mph in Red Rock canyon. I vowed if I do that again I will do it on a performance track and open it up.
  • ATACdawg
    6 years ago
    "... one of my cars came with 21” tires but I changed them down to 20” ..." "Why did you go smaller - seems most people that change rim size they usually go bigger - and supposedly one can go faster w/ bigger tires" Actually, Papi, that's not necessarily true. At some point, you run up against the maximum torque that is available from your engine. For example, on my Dodge Spirit Turbo, the maximum speed was achieved in 4th gear, rather than 5th, which was an overdrive gear. 5th was used for fuel economy up to about 110. Max torque was at 2000 rpm, max horsepower was at 4800.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion