tuscl

Another NOLA club gets shut down.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
State authorities have ordered the emergency suspension of the liquor permit at Rick's Cabaret, a French Quarter strip club, in the wake of four other suspensions at strip clubs over the weekend.

The Rick's Cabaret closure brings the total number of strip clubs that have lost their liquor licenses to five. Over the weekend, Rick's Sporting Saloon, Dixie Divas, Temptations and Scores all had their liquor licenses pulled under an emergency suspension order.

Rick's Cabaret and Rick's Sporting Saloon are both owned by Robert Watters, a founder of the corporate chain of Rick's strip clubs who is no longer involved in the corporate business. The two Rick's clubs, which do not have a history of violations, are both privately owned that license the corporate Rick's name.

Watters did not return a message left on his voicemail on Thursday afternoon. The club was not open at 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, and a sign on the door said the club would be closed "today."

A new organization that represents French Quarter dancers, the Bourbon Alliance of Responsible Entertainers, issued a statement Thursday evening about the enforcement. Lyn Archer, who represents the group, said that women had been "emotionally degraded" during raids over the weekend and are now "facing the loss of their jobs."

Archer said she views the police actions during the Friday raids as unlawful, adding that "intrusions and abrupt closures like these create the problems that city officials claim they solve.

"When work becomes a place of intimidation, and jobs become precarious, workers find themselves more vulnerable, not less," Archer said.

Asked about concern over police conduct during raids over the weekend, New Orleans Police Department Spokesman Beau Tidwell said that the department was unaware of the allegations, adding, "No complaints have been filed."

It is not clear why the state Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control decided to pull the Rick's Cabaret license, or any of the licenses at the other clubs. In 2015, the agency suspended liquor permits of some French Quarter strip clubs on charges that they were allowing prostitution, lewd acts and narcotics activity.

Dixie Divas, Rick's Sporting Saloon, Scores and Temptations had alcohol licenses pulled.

But Ernest Legier, the chief of staff to ATC Commissioner Juana Marine-Lombard, said in an interview earlier this week that it's not likely that the results of investigations will be made public until Feb. 6. That's when the four clubs that were closed on Friday are due for a hearing on the emergency suspensions.

An investigation into human trafficking on Bourbon Street published by NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune in October found that strip clubs have struggled to keep out pimps and prostitutes that profit from tourists on Bourbon Street. In one case, the club Temptations disclosed that the club had fired an employee who was involved in pimping on Bourbon Street.

Legier did say that in recent months, ATC has set up a human trafficking task force under orders from Gov. John Bel Edwards. A former New Orleans Police Department officer was hired to lead the task force in recent weeks, he said.

But law enforcement has not made arrests in connection with human trafficking and strip clubs. Legier said state officials are concerned that if prostitution is occurring inside businesses that serve alcohol, there may be connections to trafficking, which is defined as a person performing commercial sex acts under force, fraud or coercion.

Three dancers who worked at Rick's Sporting Saloon and were present during the raid on Friday said they were not aware of any prostitution or narcotics activity in the club. Archer, of the dancers' advocacy group, also said that "in these or the previous raids, not one instance of human trafficking has been found."

Fred Herman, a lawyer for Temptations and Scores, said in an interview on Monday that he had only sparse information about why the clubs he represents were closed.

13 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Hmm - smells fishy - at first-glance it seems that perhaps NOLA wants to disassociate itself from strip clubs as other cities have in the past - or could be something else (other businesses interests, $$$, kickbacks, personal, etc)
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Based on experience, I truly doubt that there is a prevalence of pimping and prostituting in NOLA clubs. They are just too closely monitored and too heavily trafficked, Rick's Cabaret has cameras all over the place. That was the first club where I was hustled by a "VIP satisfaction guarantee".

It seems like the governor and the NOPD are conspiring to push the clubs out of Bourbon Street, which is completely idiotic. I have many fond memories of a $5,000 catered company meeting at the Bourbon Street balcony of Arnaud's, and then getting the more disreputable guys together and heading next door to Rick's. The French Quarter is not the French Quarter and Bourbon Street is not Bourbon street without the seedy authenticity of its strip clubs. Next thing, they're going to outlaw the trading offlashing for beads during Mardi Gras.

More proof that liberal politicians are ruining America.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^Only problem with your rant,the politicians who are behind the Bourbon St. crackdown are actually conservative Republicans as are most politicians in Louisiana. But that doesn't matter you get your facts from those little cartoon balloons floating above your small mind ! Geezaloo what an idiot.
  • realDougster
    7 years ago
    "Bourbon Alliance of Responsible Entertainers" = BARE. Nice!
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    Pathetic to blame Republicans in a Democrat controlled city and I see zero whining about "human trafficking" coming from them either. Same bs happened in Providence, 100% Democrat controlled. It happens when the entire political party is filled with hypocrites. Prostitution is a victimless crime, #metto, women's rights, human trafficking. Make up your mind. 25 have a source for your claim? I found no local or national reference with google.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    @skibum NOLA Times Picayune reports pressure is coming directly from ATC appointed by the state governor and alliance is comprised by folks donating to the Republican Party of Louisiana. I can’t link to it on my phone it won’t let me but you should have no problem finding the stories in line
  • Tiredtraveler
    7 years ago
    I does sound like they are looking for an excuse to close the clubs permanently as do gooders do. If the clubs are involved in trafficking like the Seattle syndicate clubs (In Seattle the most clubs were controlled by a mobbed up family and virtually enslaved the dancers by getting them in to debt/drugs to the club and coercing them into ITC prostitution whether they wanted to or not) were years ago it could kill the club scene in NOLA for years.
    Or is could be they are behind in their payments.
  • dallas702
    7 years ago
    It is NOLA, so a "shakedown" is a possibility. OTOH, since Katrina there have been a number of urban "resettlers" move into NOLA from places like Boston, San Fran, Seattle, and NYC. Notice that the only clubs cited were in the French Quarter, no other NOLA area clubs seem to have been visited. This could be the beginning of the end for party life in the French Quarter.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    I do not know what 25IQ wrote, but it sounds like he is broadcasting his ignorance for everyone to see again. That's another reason his kids hate him and have cut him off, they've gotten tired of the old bastard being a know-it-all jackass who is always wrong.

Disregarding that Louisiana recently elected a democrat party governor, skibum is correct that the city of New Orleans (which also comprises all of Orleans Parish) has been democrat party controlled for decades - as most shithole cities in the US have. Jesse Jackson even bussed in democrat voters from out of state to sway the mayoral election after Hurricane Katrina. Democrat mayors, democrat AGs, democrat sheriffs and police chiefs, democrat aldermen - those are the ones who are too fucking stupid to leave well enough alone. The strip clubs in New Orleans weren't broken until the government decided to intervene. This showing how big government liberals like 25IQ and the rest are just too dumb to see how injurious their wrong-headed intervention is.

Let us be grateful that even the spawn of a lost liberal cause like 25IQ can occasionally see the light and work to undo the damage done by their moron liberal parents.
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Ginger Bread moved to a bourbon st club after she graduated from college. I had considered going to visit her but I guess not.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    What a jerk ! Pretending you didnt read my posts , please give it a break before your head explodes from the pressure of an independent thought That would be a reall messy cleanup a shithead exploding.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Perhaps they wanna clean-up Bourbon St like Time Square back in the 90s and make-it more family tourist-friendly and less seedy. Seems Vegas kinda did the same things years back, I've read others mention Vegas SCs were a lot seedier in the past.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    So much for the "city that care forgot". I miss the old, pre-Katrina and pre-Nagin New Orleans.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion