tuscl

Sports

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
I know the Super Bowl is coming up but did anyone notice that LeBron James is a new member of the 30,000 point club I think he is the youngest to reach that milestone IMHO that alone should qualify him for inclusion in the discussion in the G.O.A.T. discussion.

48 comments

• flagooner
    7 years ago
    Don't patronize me 25.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ;)
  • gawker
    7 years ago
    I listened to a discussion on sports talk radio about who's the greatest pro athlete of all time & LeBron's name came up along with Jordan, Brady, Nigurski, Russell, Williams, and several others. What criteria do you think should be in the mix? World records? Championships? Leadership? Ability to make teammates better? Athleticism? Longevity? Interesting topic
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^I’d say that LeBron fits all the criteria you mentioned along with those guys you mentioned.
  • Warrior15
    7 years ago
    Uh, no. Lebron is a physical freak of nature. 6-8, 250 lbs and can move the way he does is just not normal. But greatest of all time ? No even close. He's not even the greatest right now. Kevin Durant is. Lebron has won 3 championships, but he needed a lot of help getting those. He has a very good team right now and they are not winning. He's gotten to 30,000 points at a young age because he started playing at a young age. Is he hall of fame? Absolutely. GOAT ? Not in the discussion. That title belongs to MJ.
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    Gordie Howe. The GOAT.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    MJ was the best showman (he could even dunk with his tongue out, wow), but...

LeBron = GOAT
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I think LeBron is in the discussion, but time will tell. It’s a bit early for a true discussion of his GOAT merits.

The continued performance over time will make a stronger case for him.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    One difference:

MJ was and is all about himself

LeBron distributes the ball and helps make his teammates better.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Nope, not too early.

LeBron is GOAT
  • Huntsman
    7 years ago
    James is a good GOAT candidate but in a team sport Russell’s championships are hard to beat. Different eras, hard to compare.
  • JohnTitor
    7 years ago
    Lebron is a piece of shit who can't win without being part of a super team. The NBA is fucking garbage.

Best athletes ever are Brady, Gretzky, Lemieux, Bobby Orr, Koufax with Kershaw on his heels, Ted Williams, Federer & Michael Schumacher.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^Wow that seems a little harsh ! Anybody notice anything about that post ?
  • JohnTitor
    7 years ago
    Yeah yeah you're implying I'm a fucking racist and/or Nazi.

Lebron is human filth and it is a fact that he has only won titles with forming aforementioned super teams that decimate competitive balance. He has NEVER carried a team on his back like Steph Curry or Nowitzki has. Jordan was and is a douchebag, but he was so much better than Lefraud it isn't even funny.

Also, if I were a Nazi, Sandy Koufax sure as hell wouldn't have made my list. And in naming hockey players, there wasn't exactly a huge pool of black guys to draw up. Grant Fuhr was awesome, but not in the discussion.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Contrary to some beliefs - if LeBron couldn’t do shit during the remainder of his career - I’d strongly doubt he would remain in a GOAT discussion.

He’s a great player - a HOF player - but he’s not the GOAT (yet)...
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    ^ Wrong LeBron is GOAT

It's not opinion, it's fact.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    It’s still an opinion - and he’s still not the GOAT.

Time will tell the true story...
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    Le Bron and his 3 championships is the goat over Jordan and his six and Russell and his 2 ncaa championships, one olympic gold, 9 nba championships, including 2 as player coach? Not even close. If they ever called offensive fouls on LeBron he'd be Charles Oakley. Schumaker is an athlete compared to a chess player only. Nowitzki is like Carl Yazstremski - stats due to longevity, not greatness. Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player of all time. Brady the greatest football player. Jordan the greatest basketball player. Frank Robinson the greatest baseball player.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    ^ Yes
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    @JT You outed yourself with the stupid part of your comment why is LeBron human filth, seems to me he takes care of his family never has gotten into trouble unlike a lot of other highly paid athletes.
    Your list of greats is severely lacking. Boxing Muhamed Ali, Golf Tiger Woods, in baseball you are neglecting tons of athletes for Sandy Koufax that’s laughable he only played a few seasons how about Jim Brown Football, I agree Brady deserves mention but you are just talking to hear the sound of your own voice. There are many that deserve such consideration, but prefacing your comments of this subject with slurs makes you irrelevant at best.
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    Jim Brown did something that no other athlete has ever done: He walked away when he was still #1. No Barry Sanders wasn't when he did. Jim Brown - best running back ever and a better lacrosse player.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^and a pretty good actor ;)
  • TxVegas
    7 years ago
    It is always difficult to compare generations. Championships in team sports are also hard to attribute to one player. So, my list is just my personal opinions:
    Jim Brown
    Michael Jordan
    Babe Ruth
    Wayne Gretsky
    Jack Nicklaus
    Roger Federer
    Michael Phelps
    Usain Bolt
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Did anyone ever think that ALL these athletes may be the best that played their games. BUT, perhaps there were 5,000 guys out in the world that could have run circles around Jordan, but never bothered to pick up a basketball. Just sayin'!
  • Cowboy12
    7 years ago
    Lebron is not even in my top 10 all-time NBA players....way over rated, thanks to media coverage.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Cowboy,

Remember before James was in the NBA there was a question about a vehicle he was given "by his mother"? A big ol' SUV. Some paper supposedly stated that Labron's mother gave him a Hummer.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    30k points is an incredible achievement of not onlh talent but durability to be able to play long enough at a high level to achieve that many points - not to mention he's an all-around great-player (elite defender; elite passer; and very-good rebounder) - being the youngest to get to 30k points but I think doing it in the fewest games is more impressive - supposedly LeBron is 4th on the 30k-list in terms of # of games it took to get there - "... James did it in the fourth-fewest games, trailing only Abdul-Jabbar, Jordan and Chamberlain ..." (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/sport…)
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    If you were to base it on points contributedI bet he would have been there quicker than all but Wilt.

That would be 2 pts for every assist and 1 for every rebound and steal (assuming an avg of 1 pt per possession which is actually low).
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    @flagooner:

You keep picking LeBron over MJ b/c you're a racist - it's easy to see
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    @Papi stop patronizing @flagooner ;)
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    :)
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    MJ was a better scorer and had a better Q score, but LeBron is the Greatest Player Of All Time. (Wilt was the greatest playa)
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Oh, and Fuck You!

;-)
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    STOP!
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    LEBRON IS NOT THE GOAT! NEVER!
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    ^ Wrong.
    He is.
    It's fact.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Speaking of sports, the hell with the Super Bowl. Jarvis Landry finished off the NFC for a win in Dodge Ball! Go Dolphins!
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    In terms of athletic ability, he is obviously great. That is axiomatic.

On all other levels, not so great. Anyone who think he has a GOAT level of making his teammates better is on another planet. He has played de facto head coach and GM of his teams and continues to make them worse. Ray Allen's clutch 3 pointer when he was on the Heat and 2016's Curry foul out and Draymond Green suspension are the reasons why he has three rings instead of one. He has gotten multiple coaches fired. He makes teammates beg to leave his team (Kyrie comes to mind, and look how great he and his team are doing now). There is always constant drama surrounding Lebron's when things are chaotic (which is often), like the most recent attack on Kevin Love for missing a game due to being sick. Every trade, signing, and even draft choice is heavily weighted on what Lebron wants and he is still unable to construct a contending team even when he spent the off season acquiring more all-star caliber players. If something goes wrong, he blames other people when he is the reason everyone on his team is on his team. He is also the reason they leave when they do. In my mind, he will never reach the level of people like MJ or Wilt Chamberlain. We can throw in Gretzsky, Phelps, Bolt, and not to mention Serena Williams, the best female athlete ever.

Lebron may have entered the 30,000+ club (so will KD and several other current players) but I wouldn't expect much more from him --- he finished January with the worst plus/minus levels of his career. It looks like if he doesn't get his team together, the Celtics will beat them in the ECF. Retiring with 3 rings and 5+ finals losses does not earn the title of GOAT in my book, especially when in nearly the last decade, he's been playing on teams stacked with talent.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Nice try Nina, but alas, you are incorrect.
    LeBron = GOAT
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Anybody think the Eagles have a chance.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago

Of course they do! They win by w TDs.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    two
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Any takers? A warning be careful .
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Lol @ Flagooner responding with one sentence, followed by "LeBron = GOAT" but offering no retort to all the reasons I listed as to why he is not.

Even funnier seeing twentyfive change the topic of his own post to divert from my well-explained argument.

Haha.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I guess flagooner has a different opinion than you do Nina as far as I’m concerned I believe he belongs in the conversation but it’s still too early to tell.
    As far as changing the conversation that was what was on my mind so I posted
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    I am just posting a fact.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    "I believe he belongs in the conversation but it’s still too early to tell."

I don't know how it can be 'too early to tell' when the guy has been in the league since 2003. And again, I'll reference last month where he had his worst +/- stat of his career, an indication that we can't really expect him to suddenly just get even better.

He will most likely not win another championship with the Cavs. I think he might be planning on leaving and heading out west after this season if the Cavs don't miraculously get their shit together because right now, the Celtics are looking like the EC champs and they don't even have one of their key players they acquired during the off-season (Haywarth). When he comes back from his injury they'll be an even bigger problem for the Cavs. Then you have the obvious best team in the league with the Warriors, plus Houston who the Cavs wouldn't win a series against if Houston is healthy. The Cavs, right now, are not looking like contenders to win a championship or even beat the Celtics in the ECF.

The Warriors will probably win the next 3 or so NBA championships, and if they lose to anybody it would be a healthy Houston or a healthy San Antonio in the west, or a healthy Boston in the east. LBJ will have to leave the Cavs (again) to win a championship.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    We'll see :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion