tuscl

Bad Day

DFreshPalace
California
Sorry everyone today is a very bad day. No not with my favorite girl or club nor with the Best Friend whom I talked about before as well. In fact my favorite girl has been right behind me giving me ideas for what has caused my bad day.

I thought I had made a deal to sell something to someone and all things pointed in a right direction. Then it got weird but I didn't know what to think over the course of the week I would get a couple of messages from the guy saying he would be sending the check out and would provide me with a confirmation # which he did do. With the Holiday on Monday it delayed delivery of the check but I did get it today. Sort of....

The check was to be for $450 which I planned to use to clean up a couple of bills and take out my favorite girl for a nice lunch/dinner which ever she picked. The check I got was for $2350.00 and a message to deposit right way, take a photo of deposit slip and wait for instruction. Remember I said it got weird. So I took to my bank and I was happy I got my favorite teller because she quickly noticed things on the check that put up Red Flags and I told her what was going on as well. First each line had a different font. Some of the words are written like... (ExAmPle) But then she took it to another person at the bank who came back and pointed out the signature was a photocopy of the named signed.

PLEASE I DO NOT NEED Snarky comments. I need encouragement. I need to know if any of you have ever been taken by someone with Fraud. Especially a bad check and how you handled it. As I said between me and my girl we know what we plan to do while we investigate and try and nail this ASSHOLE!

Don't play me because I've been played before and I don't take be ripped off easily. My bank said they want me to deposit the check so he or they can ripoff my account when the check bounces and makes me pay a large fee or the account is closed and I won't be able to get a new account for years. I'm not dumb I'm not playing games. This has sent me to depression I'm just thankful for someone who is there to comfort me and reassure me everything is/will be areight and this a minor setback but DAMN I'm pissed and I feel like shit right now.

34 comments

• jackslash
    7 years ago
    There are all kinds of scams going on. Don't deposit those million-dollar checks from Nigerian princes.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    You didn't explain how the scam works. He overplayed by $1900 with a fake check - so maybe he would ask you to wire that $1900 back before the check bounces?

You only lost $450 which is the amount a typical PL loses in a typical VIP. You'll live. I promise.
  • realDougster
    7 years ago
    One word for you: Bitcoin!
  • PeterEaster
    7 years ago
    "He overplayed by $1900 with a fake check - so maybe he would ask you to wire that $1900 back before the check bounces?"

Yes, I understand that's how the scam works.

@mdb2203 - did you actually send him the item he was supposedly buying?
  • ppwh
    7 years ago
    I knew a guy who had to drop out of school and get a job because of that scam. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/0…

Tell him the check was fake, find somewhere to report it if you have the attention span and move on.

If you want to read some scambaiting stories from the pros where the scambaiters don't have their real name and address, check out 419eater http://www.419eater.com/
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    The check was never cashed because the bank wouldn't do it and I still have the item. I'm technically not out anything other than I don't have what I planned on and he has my address phone number and name.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    This is a common scam. Have you met the buyer in person? What are the details of the transaction? Did you sell him something you owned? These scams generally operate all via email - and not via actual physical meetings.

Don’t let it get you down. These folks prey on those who are unaware. You are lucky that your teller noticed the red flags. You should think about how fortunate you are to have not deposited the check! That is a good thing.
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    It was an online transaction so no I never met. He sent me a private email asking if he could buy the item for $450 rather than waiting for the item to end in 7 days. Which by the time I got the money it was 10 days anyway so he could have just paid the asking price. It's only been text message conversation and a check in the mail.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    In this day and age I’m surprised that people are still falling for these tired old scams. Anyone with half a brain knows you never issue a check based on a check that hasn’t cleared your account and why the fuck would anyone send you a check for more than the amount due. This makes no fucking sense our OP is just trolling and trying to play the sympathy card using depression like some sort of excuse.
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    I'm not looking for sympathy ass. I'm pissed. I had no idea the check was going to be in that amount until I opened the envelope. My plan was to cash it pay a bill and have a nice meal. But that all got Fucked. So no I'm not looking for anything serious piss off jerk
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Much better to get pissed off than get pissed on LOL
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    "you never issue a check based on a check that hasn’t cleared your account"

It's worse than that. Banks typically clear a check based on a number of days, such as 5. However, if it turns out that the check in no good--a week or 2 weeks or a month later--the bank has the right to take the money back out of your account. "Cleared" does not mean the bank has verified the check is good. Many people believe that is what "cleared" means, and scammers use that to make people think it's safe to send the scammer money.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Were you selling items on eBay? How could someone know what items you have?

Was this an email solicitation?

I’m confused. This seems like an obvious scam. Lots of red flags even before the bank. When you saw the check - you must have known something was wrong.

Don’t get depressed - or angry. Learn from this experience. You are very lucky. Many old people (and shut in folks) - who are more trusting - fall for these scams - and they lose money. You haven’t lost anything - so you are doing fine.
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    It was an eBay item that didn't sell in the the time allotted that he was interested in.
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    Usually the scammer will just add a digit, so $450 become $1450 or $2450. They give you a sob story about the bank accidentally making the check out wrong and since they don't want to pay another $20 to get a certified Bank check issued, could they just send you the wrong one, you keep the $450 (which was probably significantly higher than the asking price, so they are hoping you are greedy and that the greed will make you reckless), and send them a check (or worse, some type of electronic transfer) for the rest back.

This happens a lot with online used car sales. The reason for the different check amount is explained with "I got this check issued for a different deal that fell through. It's $4000 too much. Send me back $3000 and keep the extra $1000 for your trouble."
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Ebay seems like an easy place for scammers to run their scams.

You haven’t lost anything - so you are very fortunate. You were thinking about having a nice dinner - but that’s not a loss. You are lucky that someone noticed the irregularities in the check.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Did you say you have depression or Down's Syndrome?
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Joc13 - that’s a good point. This sounds like an obvious poorly forged check. The op mentions that the lettering on the check was inconsistent like - “OnE tHoUsAnD” - and the signature was a photo copy. Those items should have been enough to make a person think there was a fraud.

It’s so important to be diligent when selling stuff online. It’s very important to have a method to vet online customers.
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    Update I just talked with the bank where the check is from and though the funds are available it is a fraudulent check and they have begun their own investigation into the incident. 1 down 2 more ideas to go as the day goes on. I want to put his dick in a vice grip and make it hurt like in Stir Crazy with the Taxi Driver scene. For those who don't know it stars Richard Pryor.
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    Ah, the great philosopher, Richard Pryor:

"Women have half the money, and ALL the pussy."

And, yep, that's part of the scam. Write the fake check using account info from a real account that should have enough money to cover the check. It's not that hard to get MICR toner for a laser printer, so you can make sure the MICR line is readable.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    You have a lot of anger for a guy who hasn’t lost any money!

The banks can investigate - but most of these scams are run offshore - and it’s close to impossible to actually find the humans involved. If they find the offshore company - generally the country they are in won’t give two shits about US banking laws - or OFAC regulations.

Joc13 is right - MICR toner is easy to obtain. Most folks can replicate the proper alignment of all check data elements. With the use of good quality digital copiers - the process has become very simple.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    @OP: "PLEASE I DO NOT NEED Snarky comments. I need encouragement."
    ________
    Aww...no worry. We're such a caring, thoughtful, and encourage group here. This will lift your depression:

"You had a bad day:"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkFKDFv…
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    I don't like being scammed. I even told him back on January 5th it better not be or else.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    You got very lucky. You were scammed - but you didn’t lose your property or money.

The effort and anger are a waste of energy and emotion. You should focus on the positive outcome of this situation. Remember - depression feeds off of itself - and the more you focus on the negatives - the less you will see the positive. No money was lost - no property was lost - a bank teller saved you a lot by noticing obvious irregularities! So you lost out on a meal and paying some bills - it’s money you didn’t have before - so you should focus on finding a way to make the money you need. I strongly doubt your investigation and revenge will provide any financial benefit!
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    You're right but it still sucks. I'm always trying to do the right thing and then this. I just didn't need it in my life.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    "I even told him back on January 5th it better not be or else."

Or else what?
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I agree - it sucks. But it’s not worth letting it get you down. If you understand depression and depressive episodes - it’s important to work to find the positive. It’s not helpful to ruminate over the negatives in a situation.

One of the best things I’ve found is to get outdoors - and walk - and get fresh air in my lungs. To see others and talk to them about their lives. I know they don’t need to hear my issues - and I appreciate what I have.
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    He's been reported to Police in the event he or anyone shows up at my house. That was my main concern.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    It’s good you reported him. That is important for your own safety.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Never gotten a bad check, or one that looked bad. But on two occasions I was doing some much demanded consulting work for guys who I knew were flim flam men. So on two occasions they gave me checks written by third parties. One was even drawn on an account at a financial broker, not a real bank. So on both occassions I took the check to the institution that issued it and had them do everything possible to guarantee its validity and that funds were available. I did not want to run anything flaky or bogus, or without sufficient funds through my own bank. The two checks went through just fine.

In times since anytime I have any dealings with suspect parties it is always cash up front. Not going to play with scam artists.

Anyway mdb2003, I hope things go well for you, I mean objective things. Don't ever let anyone, like free advice givers or therapists, try to convince you that you are the wrong party or that the difficulties are coming from your own head.

SJG

Sex At Dawn
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiROKU5…

Led Zeppelin, 1969, Live, Danish Television
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiROKU5…
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    The latest is my bank now has the check in their procession and will be turning it over to the FBI Fraud Dept. They have the name of the person as well and can take the appropriate steps to make sure it doesn't happen again from them anyway.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    I bet he made the 10 most wanted list.
  • anonlvone
    7 years ago
    i've never heard of this scam, but i guess i've lived a sheltered life. i get the feeling this was done on Ebay, and Ebay tells you very clearly to never make private arrangements with sellers. and yes, back when I used Ebay I sometimes broke that rule, but only rarely and only because i had good reason. this sounds as phony as those Nigerian prince scams that literally everyone has heard about. i really hate to sound like an ass, but based upon this disclosure, i'm really concerned that you would be spending any time in strip clubs at all. $2,000 is chump change compared to what you could lose in a strip club
  • DFreshPalace
    7 years ago
    I agreed to $450 not $2350 he tried he failed. I didn't buy in. I took to the bank against his wishes of just depositing because I didn't trust him now his scam is exposed. My anger from last night lead me to motivation today. I can get down but I get back up again.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion