tuscl

OT: Barbershop / Obituary

Itsmytime
I’ve had enough and I can’t take it any more
In the past I never made an appointment for a haircut. I'd just go to the barbershop and my barber would fit me into his schedule. I never waited too long and always enjoyed the banter with the barber and the other customers.

Today in the newspaper I saw my Barber's obituary. After 20+ years I need to find a new barber. I don't even know where to start. I hate the feel of the chain store shops and a good sole proprietor is hard to find. Sucks to lose a good service provider.

And, anyone else find that as you get older the obituaries seem to make for interesting reading?

15 comments

• shadowcat
    7 years ago
    I've been using the same barber for 25 years. I moved 3 years ago but still drive the 8 miles to get my hair cut. He used to even do house calls to the apartment of my invalid father to cut his hair. Fortunately his son has been cutting hair there too for the last 5 years. No appointments. I don't read obituaries.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I used to drive back to my hometown to go to my old barber. He was a good man, and he would recognize my voice when I’d call to make sure he was still there.

He got a red corvette when I was in college - and he took me for a ride in it. He knew how to drive fast! I’ll never forget that drive.

There aren’t many of those barbers left.

I try to not read the obits - as it takes too long. I remember folks and their families - so I had to stop.
  • tumblingdice
    7 years ago
    I only get the Sunday paper and yes I read the obits.There is a multitude of people that I owe a debt of gratitude.As far as haircuts go my girl is so good(and you pay for it)that you have to book your next cut that day.She finishes the cut by sculpting with a straight razor.
  • rh48hr
    7 years ago
    Loved the barber shop I went to as a kid. Saw my first nudie magazine in that barber shop. I believe it was penthouse. I shave my hair now so I don't need one. I cut my sons hair so they don't need one either.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Hell, my barber died. He was a damn good hair cutter. RIP
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    I went to a neighborhood independent for many years, but only Anna did a good job. Unfortunately they didn't take appointments so it was pot luck which of the 3 people you'd get (unless you wanted to wait).

She opened her own salon and now I'm quite happy. Plus she takes appointments! Good luck with your search!
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    If I had a business in insurance or finance, I would comb through the obits for new leads. But otherwise, no.

My parents read the obits to catch up on who's who. The WWII generation, of those still remaining, say all of their friends and family have passed and they are all alone now. I guess this is why you want to die before you get old?
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    For years I took my aging father to his barber and just got my hair cut when he did. When he died a couple of years ago (at age 90), I started looking for a new barbershop, because the three women there weren't that cute or that friendly. Currently I go to Great Clips (I think) near my house, but it just doesn't feel like the barbershops of my youth. I guess I'm still looking.

And yes, I frequently check obituaries to make sure I'm not in them :) First my high school friends' parents almost all died, and now my classmates themselves are starting to go! Yeah, it's better not to read obits.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    Too young to check obituaries yet but I have had the same barber for my entire life. When I moved away I still would drive in to get a hair cut. He’s in his 70s so it’s just a matter of time before he retires and I have to find a new one. Luckily there are 2 guys same age as me in my small town that are barbers so when the time comes I’ll go to one of them.

As for finding a new one here’s some advice:

1. Stay away from malls, chain stores and stay away from women.

2. Find a barber who actually went to barber school. It’s becoming rare to find such a guy because most women and some men just went to beauty school to learn “hair.”

3. Many people don’t know but barber school takes about 2 years and finding a school still open is rare. I think my entire state has only 2 or 3 barber schools.
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    I use a hair stylist who hires hot vietnamese women.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    I've always used female hairstylists; I feel they know better what looks good on a man.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Don't have a barber, as such, just a beard trimmer. Haven't cut my hair in over 25 years. Said barber/beard trimmer recently had a stroke. So he isn't dead, but can't stand or use one arm, much less would I trust him with a razor in his good hand near my neck.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Papi,

They've been fooling you! :)
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    I'm with Papi - always a female. My current one is at least in her 50's but she knows both hair and current styles.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    Sorry to Rhett about your barber. Sorry for your loss. I went through the same 2 years ago when I lost my barber of 20 years.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion