tuscl

Sideline app is no longer free

Hank Moody
I'm fine. I'm disgusted with my life and myself, but I'm not unhappy about that.
Got a message on sideline the text/talk app is no longer free. Need to find a new one. Suggestions or should I just go by the apple App Store ratings?

17 comments

• JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Try Text Me. I've used it for years
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    Yep, I'm planning to switch, too. If it was just a few $ a month I'd keep it, but they went straight from free to $10/month. I wonder if there's a way to transfer my sideline phone # to Text Me, if any of you figure it out please let me know.

JS, Text Me lets you do phone calls, texts, send & receive pics?
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    I also found an app called Textme Up. The interesting thing about this app is that it allows you to have multiple numbers. I'd been thinking I actually want a 3rd line -- one for friends/family/work, one for hos, and one for businesses where I do my internet based shopping (the ones who put my phone number on all the junk call lists)
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Text Me allows unlimited texts, and you can attach pictures. To make phone calls, which I almost never do with a burner ap, you have to pay or watch stupid ads.
  • LecherousMonk
    7 years ago
    That sucks.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/…

???

Why? Maybe a stupid question.

Is it to maintain anyonmimity, to not let your girls know your real phone number? Provide them with an isolated substitute? Can't do this with Burner App?

SJG
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    Actually, Telos might be the winner for me. Wil let you know how it goes if I install it... it gives me that multi-line option I'm looking for
  • Hank Moody
    7 years ago
    I just tried telos. Texting works well. You have to pay for calls though. Probably not an issue and they give you some free credits, but I was hoping for something seamless that would appear to be a real number. Also, sideline would send a message if you needed to send a text/make a call to prevent your number from being deleted for inactivity. Would be nice to know what comfort any of the apps have for making sure you don't relinquish your number.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    Ive been using TextNow which gives you a phone number with free VOIP calls and texts. Works very well.
  • Hank Moody
    7 years ago
    I'm going with TextNow. First impressions are it's the most like sideline. I'll update if I find any negatives. Thanks!
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    Jimmy, thanks for the report, let us know how TextNow works for you. I'm waffling on Telos -- I really, really want THREE phone numbers on my phone, of which two need to be "second line" numbers. The thing is, I wouldn't talk much on those 2nd line numbers, they are for 1. my strippers & SBs (text only!) and 2. internet retailers who ask for a phone number. So I'm guessing I could buy 10 minutes worth of phone call credits (how much would that cost?) and leave it on there indefinitely.

I suppose the other option is just to get a third 2nd-line app. That is, both TextNow and TextMe, use one for retailers and the other for strippers. Wonder if they play well together, or how badly it would demolish my battery
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    -->" but I was hoping for something seamless that would appear to be a real number."

In regards to telos, what did you mean by the above? What makes Telos less than seamless or not appearing to be a real number?
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    I have 3 more days before I have to ditch Sideline .... any updates from Jimmy or anyone else, on Telos, TextMe, TextNow. Which are you using, why do you like it, etc?
  • doctorevil
    7 years ago
    I like Google Voice. Have been using it for years. At one time, it was not good with photos, but now has the ability to send and receive photos with texts. U.S. calls are free. Only need to pay for international and the rates are dirt cheap.
  • Ch3ll
    7 years ago
    I had Sideline too, but didn't keep a stripper(s) to continue my need for it. Sucks it's no longer free, because I got those notifications too. In the past, I've used Line2. Best I recall it wasn't free and was like $8.99 a month and you kept whatever number you chose.
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    Line2 is almost as expensive as Sideline. I had it for a while and it worked fine, but for my purposes, the free options (or at least cheap options) work fine.

Jabberwock: Sudo doesn't seem to be on android officially yet, alas. I think you're talking about TextMe Up, not Text Me ... it's TextMe Up that lets you purchase additional lines, from what I can tell Text Me does not have that feature...

• Hank Moody
    7 years ago
    I forget what it was that I didn't like about Telos. I've been using TextNow for the last couple weeks and it's been working real well.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion