tuscl

OT: RIP JFK

Monday, May 29, 2017 4:01 PM
JFK would have been 100 today. I was just a child when he was our president, I'll never forget that awful day he was assassinated. His daughter, Caroline spoke recently about her dad and how she thinks of him every day. He was our youngest president and inspired our generation.

14 comments

• Dougster
    7 years ago
    Today would be a good day for you to apologize for lying that you saw active military service, vinceygirl.
  • anonlvone
    7 years ago
    Story I once heard. During his last months in office, whenever JFK was away on a trip, Jackie Kennedy tried to get work done on remodeling the Oval Office. During the Dallas trip, because she had joined him, the interior decorator she had hired didn't have anyone to approve the changes he was making. So he spoke to LBJ, who told him, get rid of all of this, and I want the entire office redone in red. The interior decorator said when he heard that, he knew JFK was never coming back from Dallas. Supposedly JFK hated red, but it was LBJs favorite color. Within 24 hours JFK was dead.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Leave it to the 2 stupidest cocksuckers we all know here to pipe in with their bullshit. You two should be shot and killed for your terminal stupidity.
  • a21985
    7 years ago
    Um...LBJ was in Texas with Jackie and JFK...so yeah, that story is debunked just through common sense common knowledge.
  • minnow
    7 years ago
    VM- JFK wasn't our youngest President. That distinction belongs to Theodore Roosevelt who was 6 weeks shy of his 43rd birthday. He was William McKinley's VP who succeeded him when McKinley was assassinated in Sept 1901. Now JFK was our youngest elected president, so you are partially correct there.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Thanks Minnow for that distinction.
  • gawker
    7 years ago
    Being from Massachusetts I was indoctrinated to believe JFK walked on water. I was a college freshman sitting in a differential calculus class when we were told of his assassination and I believe this event was a major contributing factor in the youth rebellion of the 60's. Between Dylan's "Don't trust anyone over 35" and all the conspiracy theories around JFK & RFK's assassinations combined with an unpopular war the tone was set for major societal change. As an aside, if you ever have a chance the JFK Presidential Library in Dorchester, MA is a good take.
  • sharkhunter
    7 years ago
    I looked up when JFK got killed. It was before I was born. I guess this event is something only the near 60 and older group remembers from anything other than history books and tv shows. Not intending any disrespect. Now 9/11 I remember first hand where I was. For an 18 year old stripper, she probably views it like something she heard in history books kind of like world war 2 stories except it was more recent history. Just throwing out different perspectives. I've heard this site was full of grumpy old men so I thought I would add perspective.
  • NaturalSelection
    7 years ago
    I was born 15 years after his death and I don't really know 60's history as well as I should. Didn't JFK start the Vietnam War?
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    Actually, it started during Ike's tenure. Kennedy increased the levels of advisers and air support by quite a bit, but it was during LBJ's term that the Gulf of Tonkin incident happened and our forces ramped up to over a half million in country, plus the Air Force and Navy.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    He was one of the most over-rated Presidents in history. His assassination did wonders for his legacy.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    First president to send combat troops to Vietnam was actually Truman in 1950, Kennedy sent more but the actual escalation was the Gulf of Tonkins incident which is now discredited as mostly a lie in 1964 under president Lyndon Johnson.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    ^^ Let me expand on my previous comment. There is no more difficult position than POTUS (except maybe Lotus). I do think he had honorable intent, just in over his head. As Obama showed, when all you have is charisma, your inadequacies get exposed once you are asked to really lead. And yes, I agree with OP. I hope he is resting in peace.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    sharkhunter, I resemble a grumpy old man !! LOL
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion