tuscl

Offered a Position in Bangalore...

India. Seriously. Kind of funny since we have the Indian movers meme so strong on TUSCL. What do you guys think? I'd be moving up the management ladder. Should I take it?

18 comments

• Aurum
    7 years ago
    No matter how much money or how far up the ladder this gets you, you will be in a fucked up county. I hope you have a good immune system and don't mind typhoid or drug resistant TB. 2 things that you can't buy are time and your health.
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    I think you should seriously consider it. I always wanted to work overseas, but it never happened. You would learn about another culture and gain some international business experience.
  • a21985
    7 years ago
    But seriously, if you take it, I know good, internationally reknown packers and movers from that neck of the woods.
  • crazyjoe
    7 years ago
    Take that one for sure. Theybhave great strip clubs there
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    Dugly: "People think the India movers are funny.... I'll tell them I might go to India, then they'll like me!"
  • GACA
    7 years ago
    Do it....
    #YOLO
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    I don't think working in India is more valuable experience than working in the US, it's not as if they have a better system that we are trying to copy - not an upward move IMO unless you think your career is gonna lead you into working w/ the Indian market in the future (or you want your career to head that way).

Australia or Japan or Germany, etc, would be more attractive opportunities IMO (even China).
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    I would never move out of the country. Overseas make good trips to visit, but that's it.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Is it push start country or pull start area ?
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    Amazing that KFC has restaurants in India.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Doggie?
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Don't go. I heard that the System doesn't work on Indian strippers.
  • 4got2wipe
    7 years ago
    JohnSmith69 has an ace point!

http://beingindian.com/lifestyle/reasons…
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    @jack: Our company is very encouraging of people taking foreign positions for the reason you mention.

I need a country with women as hot as Norwegian but (at least) as many strip clubs as America. Oh, and I don't want to live in Eastern Europe. Those people too ruthless.
  • georgmicrodong
    7 years ago
    The company I used to work for would sometimes send folks one to India, to Hyderabad, and almost universally, their opinion upon returning was "interesting for a while, not someplace I'd want to live for any length of time." We *never* sent women, simply because Indians apparently don't believe that women are people, and there was way too much liability involved.

Amongst the likes was the food. Music takes western ears some getting used to, but not bad.

Culture, not so much. While officially the caste system might not be approved of and enforced, in practice, it's still in full effect. Sex with the locals is apparently not readily available (and to be avoided when it is, for health reasons), so other Americans and Europeans are the best bet, unless one wants to use the various prostitution services, which are allegedly mostly girls sold into sexual slavery by their poor parents. Thailand was an option for some.

The weather was another favorite topic of discussion as well. Hot and sweltering, depending on where you are. Traffic sucks. Healthy living is tougher.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    I have a close friend who spent 4 months over there for a work assignment. He certainly didn't want to go back. He said he saw a dead person on the side of the road, TWICE while being shuttled to the work site from his hotel (and it wasn't him passing the same body twice). He said that was the most disturbing thing he saw.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Thanks, guys!

Really I don't really like Indian food. Except of some of the Westernized version of it. Indian women aren't very applying to me either.

The idea of an international assignment, overall though, is appealing. Maybe I'll hold out for something like Germany, Scandinavia, Switzerland or Australia!

I like Chinese girls too, so that's another possibility. Had a couple of colleagues from a previous company relocate there and love it.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    Apparently what really happened is that people who know Dugly in person were going to chip in and buy him a one way ticket.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion