tuscl

[OT] S&P 4000 in 8 Years?

I didn't read the article (just the headline) so can't comment on the reasoning.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/…

Number sounds high now, but actually is not, a 6% compounded annual rate would do it.

So if anything I'm guessing much higher than that.

What do the rest of y'all think?

To me it looks like they are looking at some historical channel, but I think growth rates will accelerate now as AI comes more and more online. So will likely invalidate that channel.

17 comments

• twentyfive
    8 years ago
    That's a pony i'll ride all the way to the bank !
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    DAX and the CAC all up 2% today alone!! Where is this European melt up coming from? Are you still thinking about 20% of your portfolio Dougster being invested in the Eueopena markets? Don't wait too long.... You'll miss out.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Currency inflation, federal policy to pump up the stock market in order to maintain political approval, and then just getting more and more people to keep putting in money which could be better used for other things!

Even Carlo Ponzi would be impressed.

You tell 'em Dougster!

And soon we will be able to start removing workers!

SJG

The Hermetic Hour - The "Why" of Magick
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq5re8EL…
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    @Meat: I don't know, I thought SPY could get to $240 on the current leg which I mentioned in 25's thread, but it did soon much sooner than I expected.

My guess was that today's action was more about the rise in interest rates being more certain, along with the notion that Trump may realize he needs to act a little adult like if he is going to get things done as president versus the big nothing burger he delivered in terms of specifics.

V soon is going to be the time for caution: but I'll review the usual sentiment indicators overnight (the first of which is TUSCL). Lol!
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    The only thing that seems certain is the fed raising interest rates nex go round. That is good news for the financial sector @Dougster GS will get up around 265-275 is the way it looks from here I might add a bit more for myself.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    $265-$275 should be cake, unless Europe gets in the way first.
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    Europe is fine. The dollar strength will keep them doing things with China.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Maybe. However I expect a big drop before we get there. Maybe a drop all the way down to 1600 first.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    However let's enjoy the way things are going for the moment and this year.
    Rally on. What could go wrong?
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    That's it shark go big or go homeless
  • pensionking
    8 years ago
    This rally is not earnings driven, yet. The rally reflects the presumption of a more favorable business environment with the new administration. As stated on CNBC yesterday, "It's been 8 years since we've had an American President that likes the word 'profit'. This guy likes profit."

We are seeing the positive effects of cash leaving the sidelines and joining the party. If bond funds begin dropping in value, 401(k) investors will transfer to whatever has been growing -- that would be equities. That is what novice investors do -- they chase prior gains with more money. That inflow will further increase stock prices and the rally will continue.

At some stage, the smart money will perceive equities as over bought and will reduce their equity positions to lock in gains and secure profits. At that juncture, we will see a pull back. Of course, Trump could get a turd in sideways or tweet some foolish shit and derail the rally -- but only temporarily. I would be a buyer on every one of his ridiculous market-drop-inducing tweets.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Only thing that could save Europe is that if the world economy is so strong people are too busy making money to bother with protests/political/economic union breakup and shit. But I think Trump and Brexit gave too much "hope" to "those left behind" for them to do what they usually do this year, i.e. nothing.

The indices (except for the Russell) are definitely stretched right now. That doesn't always mean correction is imminent, sometimes they just consolidate. It will depend on the news flow. Sentiment is high but I won't say "euphoric" just yet. Levered up USD's seem like a good combo for safety and return right now.
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    S & P 4000 by the year 2025? Easily, but I'm hoping not because I have about $40k/annually I need to be putting away until then to secure my future. The lower the market goes the cheaper I buy.

I keep saying it's more euphoric when the market drops than when it goes up, but then people look at me funny. People are stupid and often just copy others Ina herd mentality much like Txtittyfag(dot) does in his threads.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    ^^^Just imagine how much you could make it rain you'd be competing w/little fish stick for hoes.
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    ^^^ Investing isnt for today, it's for securing the future. People think it's about getting rich so they can party hard, when in fact it's about the opposite. It's living frugally so you have the means to party later. Which my wife and I will be doing when our kids are off to college, or at the sitter before then.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    ^^^Your preaching to the choir with me you know that don't you ?
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Lots short covering/capitulation yesterday. With that and trouble brewing in Europe I would be remiss if I did not advise caution here. The other thing is that you have to wonder what kind of "good news" could come out at this point that the market hasn't already had a big rally on... *puts up the proceed with caution flag*
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion