tuscl

[OT] First Company to $1 Trillion Market Cap

Continue to the "markets" theme on TUSCL lately. What do you think will be the first stock reach a market cap of $1 triiiiiiiliooon dollars?

19 comments

• shailynn
    8 years ago
    Google or Apple.

If juice keeps eating at KFC maybe the Yum Yum brand will get there too.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    AMZN, if consumer/business spending and demand cloud services remain strong (with a large part of that cloud driven buy some large customers like Netflix). So I'm calling AMZN as the underdog to a trillion.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Sorry people don't get two choices. Gotta choose one.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Maybe XOM depends on a lot of things I mean APPL or Alphabet is the safe bet Cisco has a shot
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    I'm betting on Amazon... While Google, Microsoft, and Apple all have a legitimate shot at it, Amazon is the primary player in its space. Amazon is the new walmart. A friend of mine has owned a webstore for 18 years he started selling other companies products and then developed some of his own. He had one big hit when one of his products made it into the costco. Now Amazon is killing him. What Walmart did to Mom and Pop stores in small towns all across America, Amazon is doing to Mom and Pop websites all across the globe. He is not bitter about it, he understands it is how the business world works..... Nobody cried for the buggy manufacturers when the automobile was invented
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    +1 @Daddilac

Comparison to what Walmart did to Mom&Pop stores seems correct. Amazon also has pretty good streaming services and cloud computing.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Well if people are jumping on amazon (wise choice) I'll go with Apple. Somebody is gonna perfect this self-driving car race (Google, Ford, Telsla, GM, etc) and I think that will be the next huge thing catapulting which ever company becomes the norm into the next level moneywise.

I think that's where it's at, I think this virtual reality stuff hasnt been getting as big as people expected. I think people are more interested in drones than VR.
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    I think people get caught up in a race to the first of something... self driving car, first car, first airplane, first whatever. It is often the the second or third one there that makes the bank.... Remember the early bird gets the worm but the second rat gets the cheese

A couple examples... the automobile was an awesome invention, however not very practical or profitable until the highway system was built and GM came out with auto financing, where avg people could afford them. A second example is the airplane, again a great invention but until the jet engine was built and the birth of commercial flights, airplanes were primarily for defense and crop dusting
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    IEEE was saying we might expect self driving cars as optional in 2024 and mandatory by 2044 (one some roads or highways). It's a big play, but it's a ways out. Like Daddillac wrote, I think the 2nd player will be it "cheap, good enough" and those guys will bank. Plus, who's going to buy these things? I've never nor driven a new car in my life.
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    I don't know about self driving cars... maybe I am just an old fart. In my career I have seen many adult children have to take the car keys away from their parents, it is always a huge fight. It just gives up control and people don't like it. The only ones that like change are babies with dirty diapers and even they cry about it..... That being said what one generation tolerates the next generation accepts as the norm, so I think we will get there but it will be a slow painful process
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    It wil dadillac - and I fear a lot of people will die during this transition - but it will still probably be less than normal traffic deaths when people are using their own cars.

I'm in my 30s and I'd love the option of a self driving car if it were reliable and safe. I'd still drive myself around town and quick interstate runs around town but I drive a lot and I'd love to be able to put auto pilot on for a 300 mile trip down the turnpike or have the car take over when I'm sitting in traffic inching along in a bigger city.

Self driving cars could be huge for aging people who shouldn't be driving anymore.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Is it something which should be considered for Anti-Trust actions?

Doesn't sound good.

SJG
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    How about Alibaba. Isn't it bigger than Amazon?
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    @flagooner, I don't think so.

Money on the line I'd go with Apple, the safe bet imo.

Google would be my wildcard option.
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    " It wil dadillac - and I fear a lot of people will die during this transition - but it will still probably be less than normal traffic deaths when people are using their own cars. "

Can you imagine the lawsuits from that first death? Sue the driver, who flips to insurance, who flips to car manufacturer..... That will be a huge mess and the bigger the company the deeper the pockets, the bigger the suit. All the sudden dear old dad who would not pay 100 bucks a month for life insurance because "who needs the 250 thousand dollars" is now worth a 100 million dollar lawsuit. It cracks me up how little people value life while they are living and how much the heirs value it when they are gone

• JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    My money is on Google
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    I'm thinking AMZN myself, although GOGL might be the better super long term play, although if you are good with biotechs that sector certainly has the best super long term potential. Thing is you easily see doubles and triple and more though along with lots of them going bust. Not to mention all the crooks attracted to that sector. Witness VRX.
  • whodey
    8 years ago
    Odds on favorite would be Apple but my money is on Berkshire Hathaway.
  • PredragDr
    8 years ago
    Microsoft...don't call it a comeback.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion