• chessmaster
    8 years ago
    fuck you jackie. learn how to spell.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Exhost
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Google said it should cost $300...is this true ?
  • Jackmd
    8 years ago
    <$1 of duct tape
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    ?
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    Use a garden hose to direct the exhaust into the passenger compartment of your car. This will give you a free high.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    LMFAO
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Is this the secret ingredient in your lasagna ?
  • warhawks
    8 years ago
    Dude, you need a Catholic Priest if you have an exorcist taking a leak in your car....
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    "Is this the secret ingredient in your lasagna ?"

Ace!

juicebox69, you should try cooking lasagna with car exhaust. It'll taste brilliant! ;)
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Juice, it will depend on how big the radiator and where it's leaking.

Generally these days radiators are made of pretty thin stuff for better heat transfer and lower weight, so generally, it will need to be replaced.

Figure an hour to get it out, an hour to put it back in, and another to refill the system with water and antifreeze. So, about $200-$250 for labor. The radiator, depending on size will probably run between $300 and $450, so you're looking at between $500 and $700 for a new radiator. I wouldn't recommend a used radiator as it's likely to have the same problem as your old one. A rebuilt radiator would be OK if it comes with a warranty and could save you ~$100 to $150.

If it can be repaired by brazing (an accessible tank leak, as opposed to a tube leak, you might get by with as little as $200. There will also be a charge for antifreeze, roughly about two gallons or $20.

While everything is taken apart, you may as well replace your hoses as well, as the rubber deteriorates with age. This should be parts only as they would have to be disconnect anyway. It's also a good time to check your thermostat.

Good luck!
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Crap. I just read the post again, and I have fixed the wrong thing! I guess I'm qualified to be a mechanic.

What part or parts have gone? Modern systems are welded and can be pretty expensive to replace. A catalytic convertor is a very expensive part because of the platinum inside. A muffler is less, pipes are not bad at all.

Could be from $300 to $1000.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Can you still get parts for a '55 Nash? ;-)
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    I just help a buddy fix an entire exhaust system on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Unfortunately the exhaust manifold was cracked and that part was $180.00 the rest of the exhaust (front and rear sections - the pipe that runs under the car Juice) along with the muffler was just under $100.00.

Like you did last time you needed work on your car, find a local mechanic, someone that the guys at the autoparts store recommended - will save you a bunch of money versus going to a clip joint like Meineke.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    SS headers for my Lotus were only $800; I would think a cheap steel system for an American POS car would be less. But then there's labor...
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Lmfao ATCdawg
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Man running in front of bus gets winded

Man running behindnbus gets exhausted
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Man running in front of bus gets winded

Man running behind a bus gets exhausted
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Remember tobhave the mechanic check the blinker fluid and the waternader
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Thank you for the laughs and solid advice again guys
  • ime
    8 years ago
    A few weeks ago you were selling BJ's for $5. Barter.
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    The same thing happened to except i found out that it wasn't actually a leak, it was a bad muffler bearing which has the same symptom as an exhaust leak. They hardly ever go bad that's why most people never heard of them and they're a cheap fix so mechanics never mention them, sort of a trade secret.
    Insist that your mechanic check the muffler bearing and if it's bad insist that it only be replaced with an Acme Corporation bearing.
  • warhawks
    8 years ago
    Lol @ ime. Maybe juice can find a Tranny mechanic for that $5 blow job.
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    8 years ago
    Red Neck technology: Just throw a muffler bandage on it

Duct tape can fix damn near anything but it can't fix stupid....
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    https://howcoster.com/exhaust-leak-repai…

This link says it should cost as low as $130-$400
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Juice. The $250 price is probably the cost a full service garage / shop / dealer quotes as a boiler-plate response to "this leak might take an hour to track down" and we'll change you to "replace the part." It's also the high side as others had mentioned.

I have to digress and laugh for a little bit. Like ATACdawg, I first read the title and thought: WTF is exoast fluid? Is that something made-up like "windshield wiper grease" or "headlamp fluid" that grease monkeys will tell a pretty women (who knows nothing about cars) in order to laugh at her expense? Then I realized it's juice, so I need to sound it out phonetically. I digress.

Juice, depending on what failed, for more exhaust piping they don't so much "replace the part" as they "cut out what's broken" then custom bend you new piping (or attach a muffler or two), then weld the new parts in with a torch. So it's super fast and super cheap. We're talking like a $100 cheap.

So simple repair or holes, they don't even do that. They might just put a welding bead (sort of like solder) on the hole or crack, if it's small, or just weld on a quick, small patch of steel. This type of repair takes like 20 minutes and might only cost $20 or $50.

Most cities have at least one shop that specializes in cheap, same day exhausts. They might not take appointments (it's all first come first serve in the morning) but it's the way to go for a beater car (not what JS69, rockstar666, shailynn's wife, or skibum drive as they have those pricey sports car models). But for beaters, something like "Rainbow Muffler" is the place to get it done and cheap. Cut, bend, weld, done.

Generally if the leak is close to the engine (the exhaust manifold aka "headers", or before the catalytic converter(s)) then in addition to the smell and sound, you also notice a severe loss of engine power when you rev the gas. If the header or manifold is cracked, this repair is usually on more more expense side to repair as the labor and part cost is higher.

Generally if you have a leak and you don't notice a loss in horsepower, then usually it is after the catalytic converters. So here, your're looking the patching cheaper exhaust tubing or the mufflers or tail pipes. At shop will have straight tubing that they custom bend then weld in place. Ditto for basic mufflers. Or if all they need a quite patch. that's like only $20 or $50, IME. Sometimes the leak is on the corner or seam of a muffler, and again, one quick welding bead fixes that. Cheap.

Find out what shop does cheap exhaust repairs in town. It's probably an independent shop or a small, regional chain. Avoid national chains or dealerships for this repair on a beater car.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion