tuscl

AT&T Fiber

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
AT&T now offering 1000Mbps in my neighborhood for $70/mo including equipment, installation and activation. Any body have it or have opinions about it?

17 comments

• etsutwigg222
    8 years ago
    We have had it for about 2 months. My son and grandson are online gamers, so they lover it. Me.....Can't tell a difference.
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    1000Mbps? Isn't that gigabite Ethernet? If it is, then holy-shit-I-want-it-almost-more-than-pussy. Fastest internet available with current technology. Internet moves as fast as your computer can process. Assuming you're running anything faster than a pentium you'll have no wait uploading, downloading, or buffering. $70/month is pricey, but if you watch a lot of online movies or share a lot of photos and videos with multiple devices (like wifi on your phone, computer, and cable box all at the same time) it could be worth it.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Lucky dog. (or cat). AT&T will sell me 18 Mbps DSL for $80/mo. Cox cable will sell 60 Mbps cable for $70/mo. No fiber and no 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) for that price. I agree $70/mo for internet is pricey but that is a lot of speed, more than I can buy for the same price. No comment other than my not-so-subtle-envy. :)
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    Is your current internet connection fast enough for you? If it is and if it costs less than AT&T, I would not change.
  • bubba267
    8 years ago
    Complete overkill for a 2-3 device household. I'm running 152mb and Netflix movies are downloading in a matter of seconds. That speed is even overkill for gamers which rely on faster "ping".
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    152 Mbps is an odd number, Bubba, and still faster than most other services I've seen. Who's your provider?
    Here in Ft. Myers we're limited to Comcast with 50mbps and their shitty customer service. I had for a month and fired them. My only other option is centurylink with a laughable 10 mbps or the double-bonded premium service that I pay an extra fee for with 20 mbps. I've got Xbox live, three cellphones, two tablets, two laptops, two internet connected TVs, and an internet connected home theater. I have to turn wifi on and off separately on each device depending on what I want to do, watch, or update. Sometimes service is so slow that a movie I order on Thursday won't be downloaded for me to watch until Friday. Comcast is trying to lure me back with 75Mbps for $40, but their customer service is so legendarily shitty that I can't say yes even though I want to. Kind of like a perfect 10 DS offering you bareback FS for less than a steal. You want to, but you know you may regret it.
  • warhawks
    8 years ago

Fiber is good for your body's digestive health. I'd recommend it.
  • Dolfan
    8 years ago
    I'd just say watch out for limits. 1gbps with a 200gb/mo cap is kinda pointless, but I wouldn't be shocked if thats what they offered. If its $70/mo with a reasonable or no cap and no long term contract, why not give it a whirl?

I've got 75mbit, but Comcast just put in fiber to my house last month. I'm expecting to get a similar offer shortly. If its close to what I pay now, I'll probably give it a try.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Super fast internet is usually for high definition video, or virtual reality, or 3D. Sounds great.

Pricing is still to high though. I wonder about installation and set up cost, getting that last bit of local fiber installed.

SJG

Axis 64 Midi Controller
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7OeRkXW…

http://www.c-thru-music.com/cgi/
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    shit. my only internet is through the cell phone.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Message boards are an old fashioned idea. I used to be on CompuServe, where they charged you per minute of connect time, in the 1980's. 2400 baud modem.

Today immersive realms are the thing, like Second Life, for example.

Cell phones will work for text stuff.

For myself though, I only like desktop computers, full sized keyboards. My typing is adapted to them. Even lap tops are not really full sized.

Justme62, do you know which cell phone service I should get if I want it to work in Calif and the SouthWest, and also in Tijuana?

And why do TJ girls use Whatsapp? Because cell phone service does not work across the border?

Does BurnerApp work across the border?

SJG

Axis 64 Midi Controller
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7OeRkXW…

ReacTj - ReacTable Trance live performance #2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgy1S8qy…

SKRILLEX BETTER THAN SKRILLEX 2 - AFISHAL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9NMAP-g…

Buchla 200 Modular Synth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCK--bs6…
  • bubba267
    8 years ago
    @ gammanu95 - I'm on Xfinity X1 platform - "Extreme 105 Internet" as part of "Triple Play" package. I should have clarified that is my average download speed on recent speed tests. Upload runs about 20mbs.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I think shadow should get-it - at his age he can't afford to be wasting any time

:)
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I only got 6 meg/ sec on the fastest dsl available in my area and that is twice the speed I had last year. Cable might be slightly faster but not much and the cable service here is terrible. I know of two people who have terrible cable service. One has static channels that aren't clear and someone else told me the service was only around 6 to 15 meg a sec depending upon some factors.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I downloaded a file update a couple years ago that was somewhere like 2 gig and it took like 15 hours to download. 1000 meg is like dreaming of winning the 5000 a week for life sweepstakes. I'd be happy with something a lot less right now.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    sjguy. i have verizon and still haven't figured out how to make it work in tj. and numerous girls in tj use whatsupp. i can't get the app to download to my phone. oh well.....
  • Estafador
    8 years ago
    Still not faster than Google
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion