tuscl

OT: Sea Bass

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
Friday, January 27, 2017 1:24 PM
One of the most expensive cuts of fish you can buy, and I found it nearly inedible. The fishmonger said to simply drizzle with olive oil and salt & pepper to taste. Was that bad advice, and is there a better way? Can we have an OT post where we wont be at each others' throats? Should I go back Tootsie's and Pure Platinum the next time in Miami, or check out some place else?

38 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    "... Can we have an OT post where we wont be at each others' throats ..." Why don't you stick that sea bass up your ass you Trump lovin racist How was that? :)
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Asked and answered. :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Not a fish eater - but once in a while a news TV show will buy expensive fish or other stuff from stores or restaurants, have it tested, and quite often it's not the real thing but one is paying the real-price.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Diamond Dolls in Pompano has been getting pretty-good reviews but remember it closes at 2:00 a.m. and not late like the Miami-Dade and Palm Beach clubs.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    You can also consider Dean's Gold in North Miami Beach.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    ^ Dean's Gold dayshift has traditionally been weak though
  • warhawks
    7 years ago
    We couldn't get sharks with lasers on their heads. So we got Sea Bass... [view link]
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Whatever your day job is, you need to quit it. Buy yourself a passenger van, and start a business called "Papa Chulo's Miami Adventures: An Adult Charter Service." I'll buy in as a silent partner.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Are [the sea bass] ill-tempered?
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Yeah; I wish I had a business mind so I could some how capitalize on my PL strengths
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    I have only had it as nari and sashimi sushi. I was not impressed. I don't see it improving after cooking it either.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    For Papi's commercials, we can hire a Nicki Minaj look-alike to dance to a song called "Papa Chulo Mode" to the tune of "Gangnam Style"
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    ^ good idea - I need to come-up w/ a catchy Papi Chulo Mode dance :)
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    PSY's little horse riding move over the back of a PCM would be perfect, but I don't want to give his lawyers too much to work with. No worries, we'll hire JS69 as our corporate legal counsel.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    "Papis Black Dive Tour: Guaranteed to get your rocks off or your money back." Gam - try monkfish instead?
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Good thinking, shailynn, I haven't had monkfish in years. I used to love it as a kid.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    txtittyfag hopes all TUSCL'ers eat him.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    WTF??? Sea Bass is a weed fish. You know nothing about fish....
  • JimGassagain
    7 years ago
    Kick his ass Sea Bass!!
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Weed fish don't have a market price of $23.99/lb. Your bluff is called and your ignorance is on display for all to see, Rockstar.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    "Sea Bass" is an incredibly broad term. Who knows what you actually bought. The "fishmonger" may not even know what he really sold you. In my opinion any quality fish should be fine with light seasoning. Salt and pepper, or a dash of lemon.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    While we're on the subject... Don't be afraid of frozen fish!!! A lot of people think they have to have fresh fish for it to be good. They are wrong. Some fish essentially needs to be frozen and some quality fish are virtually impossible to get fresh.
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    7 years ago
    I think my favorite fish (seriously) is Red Snapper. Totally delicious when blackened, but not widely available in Mid America. Rainbow Trout and Salmon are excellent and are my second and third choices.... and of course, my taste in fish probably *don't* meet up with everyone else here.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    It was Chilean Sea Bass, specifically. As for frozen fish, any foodie would correctly disagree that freezing does not damage meats. A simple side-by-side taste of any two identicals meats - one frozen and one fresh- would prove that fresh meat is better. However, fish takes it one step farther. The latest evolutionary biology and anthropology indicates that the unique proteins, fatty acids, and nutrients in fish were critical to developing the enlarged neocortexes that have allowed Homo Sapiens to become the advanced species that we are (sorry, council of Ricks). Fish are, quite literally, brain foods. But freezing, or cooking at too high of a heat, destroy the acids and nutrients that make fish such an extraordinarily beneficial food. Moral of the story: buy fresh and don't fry.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Chilean Sea Bass is one of my favorites, and I will almost always get it if it is available at any reputable eatery. The first time I had it was in Santa Monica. I still remember the entire dish. So fresh a delicious.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    My favorite fish to eat is Nina.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    A rare delicacy you couldn't afford.
  • dallas702
    7 years ago
    First, sea bass is distinctively sharp with a deep flavor that doesn't disappear when cooked - in other words, it tastes like fish. Since the flavor is so sharp, many people do not like it. I am one of those who find Chilean sea bass a pitiful waste of money. Nina is not alone in the group of people who like the flavor. Political attack = Perhaps, Chilean sea bass is for liberals who just have no idea what "good" is like? = end of faux political attack. .) Gammanu, I had grouper (caught near the coast of South Florida} a coupe of nights ago. Never frozen, baked and lightly covered in a pesto sauce, it was great. Perhaps if you find smelly, hard sea bass unpleasant, then grouper may be more palatable. (Nina - that was a joke above, not a personable attack.)
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Sea bass has a mild to medium delicate flavor. It's actually not super fishy, but fishier than similar white fish.
  • dallas702
    7 years ago
    Damn - I should wake up before starting to type. coupe = couple Nina - I meant, "personal" = but mayhap, "personable" (sic) fits also.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    The vast majority of Chilean Sea Bass is frozen soon after catching. Look at where they catch it and you'll understand why. I also doubt you got fresh Chilean Sea Bass for 23.99. Frozen prices are usually higher than that. "haute cuisine" is what people make it. Lobster was originally for the low classes who lived near the beach.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Halibut is the only salt water fish that I enjoy eating. Unfortunately I can't get it fresh or frozen around Atlanta.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    I can buy "Sea Bass" at $6 a pound. Of course there's so many "Sea Bass" that it's an inexact term at best. Fatty Tuna sells for $30-$100 a pound depending. It's hard to buy anything more expensive than that.
  • mikeya02
    7 years ago
    What you want is to pan fry thick fillets of white sea bass in butter. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and lemon juice
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    @LarryFishsticks has a preference for cod whereas @Smith finds striper (or is that DreamStriper) irresistible. I like the fresh salmon filet that you can pick up at Costco. Bake it with a little lemon and margarine.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    What type of fish is inside a piece of fried fish at Lohn John Silvers? Is that catfish they found in a creek? Recycled styrofoam? Carp they got from a river? Regardless what it is, it's Juices favorite fish.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Gammanu95, you posted before that you want to talk about vagina. Do you like 'em with big asses, and thunder thighs? [view link] [view link] [view link] SJG
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    Actually, a great deal of the seafood that is sold has been frozen along the way. Shrimp is a case in point. Many shrimp trawlers have onboard freezer plants or cold brine systems that are used to freeze the catch. Why? Because that way the owners can hold their catch for a month or so to wait for a better price. Some of it stays frozen and is sold as such. Scallops these days are often frozen on board. Boat owners actually get a better price for frozen scallops because the quality of the meat is actually improved. In addition, fresh scallops really aren't. A union "ice boat" in New England typically goes out for ten days; therefore, your "fresh" scallops may have been sitting on ice for up to ten days. Sea scallops are also shucked on board and the meat is loaded into nominal 40-lb bags if it's going to be iced. In practice, bags are typically loaded only to ~38 lb because scallops absorb moisture from the melting ice and expand. Bags loaded to 40 lb will be heavier on delivery and will suffer degradation and a consequently lower price. The smaller bay scallops are shell stocked because they are too small to be shucked on board. These are often delivered daily to the processors and may well be fresh in local markets. Alaskan crab is delivered fresh to the dock in most cases, kept alive in fully flooded tanks fed by large (25 to 50 horsepower) pumps. However, once it hits the processing plant it will almost certainly end up frozen because the packing density for separated crab legs and picked meat is far better than shipping whole crabs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion