tuscl

Detroit Auto Show

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Sunday, January 22, 2017 8:50 PM
I know this is relevant since a lot of guys are Detroiters here. I went to the auto show this past Saturday for the first time. Since I'm someone who doesn't have a kid, hanging out with a fuck buddy who doesn't have any kids either, all we could think of was "why are there some many damn kids here!" I've been to many auto shows across the country over the years but I always regarded the Detroit show at the king, maybe only second to the LA show? But I was a little disappointed. Car companies not there: Jaguar, Porsche, Land Rover. I didn't expect to see Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls, Maserati etc. but I expected to see the first 3. Was surprised to see Alfa Romeo there. Very few concept cars and the ones that impressed me the most were: Infiniti QX70 and the Kia Stinger, although you could not get up close to either of the 2 Stingers on display. All I've read about this auto show is about the Kia. Brembo brakes and 365HP from a twin turbo 3.3L V6. Yeah it's probably a piece of shit, but it looks awfully sexy similar to a Jaguar XF or an Audi A7. Infiniti QX70: [view link] Kia Stinger: [view link]

17 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Detroit is the home of the big-3 American automakers, perhaps why some foreign brands were not there - could also be those brands don't sell well in that region
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    The Dean Martin of TUSCL drives a BMW if that tells you anything. There are a ton of foreign cars sold in Detroit. I've been to much smaller car shows in DC, Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Rolls, Lambo and Ferrari have had displays in the past.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    shailynn, "why are there some many damn kids here!" ? We start our kids in the back seat of our cars, we can't afford dem fancy, schmancy foreign jobbies as kids. So of course, the kids demand to go back to their roots. :)
  • warhawks
    7 years ago
    There were kids there because you went on a Saturday. If you had gone during the week, there wouldn't have been as many kids (unless you were to go on MLK day. The kids have school off and many times seem to go to the auto show on that day).
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    I have not bought an American car since the early 1980's when I discovered German cars. I do not go to the Detroit Auto Show.
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    I have never bought a new American car. only hondas and toyotas. and tend to wear them out. i have bought well used american and german cars. porsche, mb, bmw. had a english mg and a few old fiats too. the toyotas have been trouble free. everything else needs work.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    I didn't go last year, but I specifically remember one year I was there wanting to check out the new Range Rover, couldn't find it, and then find out Land Rover was not there. Wtf? Bentley WAS there that year.
  • sinclair
    7 years ago
    Honestly, it is a rare to see Land Rovers and Jaguars out on the road versus 15 years ago. I think the Jaguar Land Rover brand has been downtrending since Ford divested them to Tata. I see more Maseratis than Land Rovers and Jaguars combined.
  • dallas702
    7 years ago
    Correction Papi - - - Detroit WAS the home of the big-3 American auto makers. Chrysler/Fiat is an Italian company now. Ford moved HQ out of Detroit and closed their Detroit plants. Only GM still has offices in Detroit. Interesting fact from just a few years ago - not one officer of GM (AVP and above) lived in Detroit - I don't know if that is still true.
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    Ford is headquartered in Dearborn, a suburb of Detroit.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    "I see more Maseratis than Land Rovers and Jaguars combined." Wow. You must be in a different region than me. I'm in southeast Michigan suburbia and I see Range Rovers all the time and Jags aren't uncommon either. Maseratis, while I see them, are not nearly as common as the other two.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Yup to what jackslash said, my cousin works at Ford. Hasn't Dearborn been the center of operations for a while? I know in the 1920s, blacks couldn't live there. So they contracted land in Inkster for the black Ford workers. Notice the difference in city names for the whites (Dearborn) and the blacks (Inkster).
  • mikeya02
    7 years ago
    Nina, Inkster was named after a Scotsman
  • georgebailey
    7 years ago
    Car show is a lot of money. VW cut their premium brands (Porsche, Lamborghini and Bentley) to save money. Their crime will cost $14 billion. Alfa Romeo had the best models.....by far....and new suv.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Mikeya02, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that in 1921 a property developer bought a tract of land IN INKSTER and built cottages at low cost for black workers, since they couldn't live in Dearborn. I know my history, after all I minored in it and grew up in Michigan. Lol.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^^Named for a Scotsman, Robert Inkster and developed for black workers that didn't want to commute from Detroit, as they were not allowed to reside in Dearborn. Here's a link [view link]
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    "... Inkster was named after a Scotsman ..." Maybe he was a black Scotsman
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion