tuscl

Georgia to vote on millions for sexually exploited children

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
"If Georgia voters approve, people convicted of things like pimping would pay a new $2,500 fine, above whatever a court may fine them. And strip clubs would pay a fee of either $5,000 or 1 percent of their annual revenue, whichever is greater."

So strip clubs with adult workers and customers must pay because someone else exploits children.

http://www.macon.com/news/politics-gover…

7 comments

• shadowcat
    8 years ago
    Aw shit. Guess I will be voting this year.
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    More idiocy from do-gooder, meddlesome middle aged chubby women, who believe sex is an evil invented by the devil and anyone who has sex is either a sinner or a victim.

The facts simply do not support any of the assumptions behind this bill. First, sex trafficking exists, but the numbers are a tiny percentage (like 1% or less) of what this woman's backers claim. And second, there is NO evidence in this country that rape, sex slavery or criminal sex trafficking is connected to strip clubs.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Nowadays it seems like people in general don't mind a tax if it's one they think they will never pay. I think this is a reason this country has a gazillion taxes. Clubs will likely charge customers more for drinks, cover charges, etc if passed. Someone likely on the left thinking it's ok to tax another group with no link to sexual exploitation of children if the tax doesn't affect themselves. Sex is bad and thinking sexual thoughts is bad so let's tax any group that works in the sex business. Sarcasm. Sex is linked to having kids so it's all connected. More sarcasm or the way some think.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    I get the feeling SJG is going to be torn on this one.
  • MrDeuce
    8 years ago
    ^ Excellent (and amusing) observation, Dougster!
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    "She convinced most fellow lawmakers there is a link between strip clubs and child sex trafficking that makes it fair and legal to charge this fee to the venues."

Enforcing age of consent laws and minimum ages for dancing in strip clubs is fine. I also approve of money for foster care and other things to help child victims.

But connecting child sex exploitation to the consensual activities of consenting adults in strip clubs is wrong. That's like Diane Feinstein and her map on her office wall with one color of pin for every place there is a sex "oriented business", and another color for every place there has been a rape. That is wrong.

SJG
  • bvino
    8 years ago
    Apparently grocery stores should be taxed to help with the obesity epidemic. I like the reference to the "big highways in places like Macon" comment. Sounds like a rube from the sticks aw shucking at the big city and its' evil ways.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion