tuscl

Anybody ever had there email account hacked?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Monday, September 19, 2016 8:59 PM
I have an account with Yahoo and tonight I got a message from them that somebody had tried to hack my account but their safe guards prevented it from happening. They advised me to change my pass word and I did but I'm sure curious as to who tried to hack me and why.

21 comments

• Subraman
    8 years ago
    You changed your password by clicking a change-password link in the email, or by manually going into your settings and changing it?
  • seaboardrr
    8 years ago
    Most likely it isn't someone trying to hack YOU personally but instead somewhere that you reg'd with that email had their user list database stolen and someone just went through trying to force their way into all the emails just to see if various basic passwords would work on some.
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    Subraman - I used the change password link. Did I fuck up?
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    shadow .... I have to admit, I'm trying to figure out if you're just jerking my chain :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    My Yahoo mail got hacked a few years ago & someone sent a scam email from my account to everyone in my contacts list. A while back got a message from a dummy FB accnt that I have asking me if I was the one that had logged in from a particular ph I think overseas, I clicked no and was prompted to change my PW but again it was just a fake FB accnt that I had
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    Subraman - Here is the email: Yahoo <[view link]> To [view link] Sep 19 at 5:43 PM Yahoo Hi xxxxxx, Someone attempted to sign in to your Yahoo account (xxxxxxxxxxxx) from an app that doesn't meet Yahoo's security standards. We blocked this sign in attempt, which was made on: Mon, Sep 19, 2016 2:41 PM MST from United States. If you were trying to sign in, then please take one of these actions: Option 1 (recommended): Use [view link] or the Yahoo Mail app for Android and iOS to more securely access your account. Option 2 (not recommended): If you still want to use an app that uses less secure sign in to your Yahoo account: Click here: [view link] Turn on "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" Go back to your existing email application and sign in to your Yahoo account again. Using apps that don't meet Yahoo's recommended security standards may leave your account more vulnerable or less secure. If you did not try to sign in, then click here [view link] and change the password for your account. For more information, visit our help page at: [view link]. Sincerely, Yahoo
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    Okay, I think you're yanking my chain, but just in case: It was a spam email. The link goes to their site, which is made to look just like a real Yahoo! password-change page. You had to enter your old password and new password. Now they know your password. They logged into your email account with your old password, and changed it by hand to your new password, so you won't know you've been had. And right now, they're sending spam emails about Indian Movers to all your friends :)
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    Oh! Missed your reply just above mine. I've been getting those emails also. The links appear legit, at least, although when you copy and paste, I think it only copies the displayed URL name, not the underlying link...
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    I did not have to enter my old pass word and I've got better things to do than make this shit up.
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    I find it preposterous that you have better things to do than make this shit up. But, I believe you anyway :) I've been getting those particular emails, and I think they're legit... but just as a general security protocol, never change your password by clicking on a link. Even if the link looks legit in the email, in the underlying markup language, links have both a label (the thing you see in email) and a link (where you actually go if you click the link), and the two do NOT have to match. So it's particularly perilous to change a password by clicking a link from an email
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    It happens. Several years ago, it happened to me. It was a pain in the ass.
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    8 years ago
    Subraman is 100% right. If you receive an email that appears to be from any provider (yahoo email, your bank, ebay, etc.) recommending a password change, NEVER click on a link in the email to change your password. ALWAYS login into your account normally and use the links on the site to change your password.
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    "I find it preposterous that you have better things to do than make this shit up" Brilliant!
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    Ace advice from Subraman and IfIGottaBeDamned. Just like you wouldn't give out credit card or SSN over the phone if you were cold called about a problem on your credit card. Once I got a call from my credit card company claiming odd charges had been made. I said I'd hang up and call back to the number on the card but wouldn't provide identifying information to somebody who called me. Think of emails the same way. But with way more sketchy people trying to screw you!
  • chukko
    8 years ago
    That's why I have my email set so that I have to enter an authentication code sent to my phone whenever a login is attempted from a new device.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    Changing your password is useless. "Hacking" means they use numer/letter generators to crack your password; if successful they're IN your account and then change the password, locking you out. Since they did not get in, they did not discover your password.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    I've had several accounts hacked. Usually all you have to do is change your password. Using letters of both cases, plus numbers, and sometimes plus other symbols, is best. SJG
  • skibum609
    8 years ago
    I have had the same email account for almost 19 years or so. Its an msn account that predates hotmail and has never been hacked.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Just today I was logging into my Yahoo email and it asked me to change my pw prior to logging-in, it suggested to do so but did not force me to - I didn't change it b/c I didn't feel like remembering a new pw (I've had the same pw for years & had never been asked to change it b/f)
  • bubba267
    8 years ago
    Shadow....email isn't the end game with some of these deals. Often time people use the same password for their online banking, email etc. By clicking on a phishing link you can load maleware which can give the bad guys access to $$$ via online banking accounts. If you are doing any online banking or maybe just for good measure, you need to get some anti malware on your computer. I'll pm you when I return.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    ^^^ Good point, must not use email password for other stuff. And Papi, yahoo is asking most everyone to change their password. The intensity and determination of the hackers has gotten extreme. SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion