tuscl

OT: Car of choice

Tiburon
Every woman's local ATM while in da club? How else they paying for their Boob jobs?
Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:05 AM
So due to unforeseen circumstances, I am no longer getting the SUV that I previously bragged about getting. But I did see a decently priced Audi A4 2004 and the price matches the KBB. I know old timers been around the block a few times, so in terms of reliability, how well does it compare to a Toyota or a Nissan? I know it's German so parts down the road will be pricey but can I ride for a while without maintenance (barring car accidents)

29 comments

• shailynn
    8 years ago
    If you can live with paying double for a similar part that would be on a Toyota or Nissan, then buy the Audi. To me, the feeling of driving a cooler car would be worth the added cost of maintenance/repairs.
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    I had an Audi TT that I recently sold. Audi's are nice cars but expensive to maintain and the reliability isn't as good as Toyota Nissan or Honda.
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    Ford Mustang outsold Audi TT and Porsche 911 in Germany. [view link]
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Get a chevy truck
  • Tiburon
    8 years ago
    @crazyjoe I just had to cancel on a GMC Yukon so Chevy is on hold for now. Well does Audi at least last for 36 months before requiring maintenance? I'm a DIY type of guy so car shop isn't an issue
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Why are you buying such an old luxury car, and probably an expensive one at that to maintain?
  • impala
    8 years ago
    All too small for me, will stick with my Chevy Impala
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    If you are buying an older luxury car especially a German make the pats will definitely be twice as expensive as a comparable American made model.
  • Tiburon
    8 years ago
    Because I like having something different. As long as maintenance can be spaced out between considerable time, cost of parts isn't an issue (unless it's foreign sports car prices, then we have a problem)
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I don't think it's a good investment - cars like that are worth having fairly new b/f they start becoming a headache since Audis are expensive to maintain & the reliability is not the best - if you're gonna wing-it w/ a used luxury car I'd go w/ an Acura or a Lexus
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Buy a smart car
  • Tiburon
    8 years ago
    @crazyjoe sorry bro, I'm 6'10". Ain't no way I'm fitting into one of those
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Understood, Tiberon. Variety is, indeed, the spice of life. Why not consider Porsche? I understand that from my Porsche colleagues at work, that other than dumping a bunch of money into them at the 10 year mark, the Porsches aren't too bad to maintain (assuming you can predict failures and order the parts 30 days in advance from Germany). The trouble is getting one with an auto trans (assuming you aren't looking at the Porsche Panamera sedan, which is auto only). I am not trying to talk you out of the Audi. I just wanted to get your thought process.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Mustangs are very cool, I've had 2, I like the latest version.
  • two4fun1225
    8 years ago
    Not only are the parts more expensive but they are hard to work on so the labor is going to be more expensive as well. Good luck
  • bigman226
    8 years ago
    On month 37, you'll wish you had a fully loaded Camry. Go Avalon for the comfort or Maxima for the power.
  • minnow
    8 years ago
    Seems to me a fella that is 6'10" would be getting himself a SUV, a pickup, or a limo. Something about having to bend down and bump your head a lot. What exactly precludes you from getting a SUV ? If you're set on a certain new/late model, I can see price being an obstacle.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    if it wasn't for the bad gas mileage I'd be driving my suburbans all the time.
  • sinclair
    8 years ago
    If I could not buy the car that I wanted new, I would not be wasting money at strip clubs. That is just me personally. Having reliable transportation is more of a priority than strip club entertainment.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    "if you're gonna wing-it w/ a used luxury car I'd go w/ an Acura or a Lexus" I concur with Papi. In 1996 I bought a new Camry LE 6-cylinder. I thought it was the greatest car in the world. Until I bought an Acura in 2006. I thought it was the best car. Until I bought a Lexus this year. It's the greatest. (You can see I keep cars a long time. I get my money's worth). But I love the Lexus.
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Who bombed who?
  • georgebailey
    8 years ago
    Concurring with 2for1. This is a car to lease new, not own used. They drive great, but suck to work on. They are not reliable. For example. If you need a steering rack on this car it's mounted up, near the firewall. The engine comes out. Lots of plastic in the engine compartment. Don't do it. What about a 3 series bimmer?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    8 years ago
    I owned an Audi for a while. Never again. Very finicky, not reliable, and repair / maintenance costs were God awful.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    8 years ago
    I owned an Audi for a while. Never again. Very finicky, not reliable, and repair / maintenance costs were God awful.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    8 years ago
    Dammit...
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    As georgebailey mentioned, certain cars are better just owned new and while they are mostly still under warranty.
  • mark94
    8 years ago
    Best headroom in a good used SUV. Yukon/Suburban/Tahoe. Nissan Pathfinder. BMW X1. The Hyundai Santa Fe and Subaru Forester aren't bad on headroom. Get them without a sunroof to maximize headroom. In cars (less headroom than SUV), try a Hyundai Genesis. They depreciate fast, so a 2-3 year old is reasonable.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    To echo the others, we had a temp contractor worker in 2014 and she had an Audi A4. She bought it at 5 years old and said the car has been nothing but problems the whole time she owned it. She cited turbocharger problems along with other things. I think it was a 2008 or 2004 but I'm not sure.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    If you're going to get an Audi, get a newer one (no more than a few year old). Audi's are nice, but if you're going to go into the german luxury pool, Bmw and Benz are both more reliable. With regard to reliability and cost of parts, Benz is your winner. If you're gonna go with an 04 you might as well choose the Toyota or Nissan. Lease a newer Audi if that's still what you really want.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion